Another day...another eBay fake!?

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by DIS_MIKE, Apr 22, 2019.

1. DIS_MIKE

DIS_MIKE New Member

0   0   0

Hi everyone!

I got a few more pins in today from good 'ol eBay. I have a few questions about 2 of them.

First one up is the Castaway Cay DCL pin from 2014. It feels good and not cheap but the colors seem off to me. Furthermore, the back is different compared to another I found listed on eBay. Of course, that could be a fake one so I am not too sure. Hopefully someone can shed some light on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the back of the one from eBay. Notice how the posts are in different locations along with the arrangement of the stamps/markings and it also has some numbers listed in the lower left.
    [​IMG]

The second pin is from the E-ticket deluxe start lanyard set from 2008 featuring Pluto riding on POTC. Not too many of these floating around (no pun intended), but I wanted to get a second opinion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I think the ebay seller might have a really worn one the back and the FAC marking is worn away. The first pin I agree looks good and lighting really changes what a lin looks like. The second I'd be wary of but nothing shouts fake to me. Would you PM me the seller name? One of the rules is you cant post ebay seller names in posts so you just have to provate message them....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3. DIS_MIKE

DIS_MIKE New Member

0   0   0

The FAC marking is actually present on my pin. I took a better picture, but it's hard for my phone to focus up close.
    [​IMG]
    So I wonder if mine is a legit pin and the one I was comparing mine to is the actual fake as it has no FAC markings.o_O

Is the FAC typically stamped? I thought it was almost applied by a certain type of ink. Found another pin with a clear shot of the back which differs from mine a great deal.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  4. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Its rarer to see fake pins with printed FAC numbers, the fakes are often the stamped ones. It seems more likely the ebay sellers copy was badly worn. Could be though....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DIS_MIKE likes this.