Anyone else feel like pins are dropping in price due to the virus?

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by Gelatoni, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Gelatoni

Gelatoni Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Today I just found two things that have been on my ISO since mid 2018: an LE1000 jumbo at retail price and an LE500 pin set at 20% above cost. Both of these items have traditionally been listed at about 2x original in-park price so I bought them. These are still expensive pins though so my budget for the month is completely thrown out the window. :oops:

Anyone else feel like pin prices have dropped or picked up good deals recently?

I figure that in person pin trading can't really happen right now so people aren't buying traders and some people may feel financial strain due to losing income so they're downsizing pin collections. My condolences if you are one of the people who lost your job and felt you had to sell off your pins.

TinyTink, Pecosace and starry_solo like this.
  2. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    530   0   0

For some pins, yes.

Unfortunately, not for the really expensive ones (I'm looking at you, WDI profiles) :p

Cheshirecat26, TinyTink and slbrabham like this.
  3. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I generally agree, save for the sharked grails and Splash Mountain pins(looking at you $75 OE)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4. MischiefMade

MischiefMade Ghost Dog Trainer

0   0   0

I guess it all really depends where you are from. For the people up here in the great white north, things are even more unattainable with 40% exchange (this accounts for credit card fees) and no stores open yet.

CanaDaLE likes this.
  5. tiffychann

tiffychann Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Some people have extra cash lying around due to canceled vacation plans/generally going out less/stimulus checks, and they're putting that into buying their grails. Combine that with panic buying, in which people are paying close attention to what pins are getting scooped up rapidly.

Plus, no new pins have been coming out other than from ShopDisney, so this is really a break for people trying to get new pins as soon as they come out. As someone who is more of a trader and a first hand buyer for DSF pins, its's been a nice break having to not stock up on traders with each time there's a new release.

TinyTink and coblj003 like this.
  6. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

So far not the things I have been wanting most. But I have found a few bargains here and there.

I picked up this Chip & Dale box set which originally sold for $90, for $67. I had some of the individual pins, but there was no way I was getting the 4 I was missing, including the LE200 for $67, so I bought the set. Now, I realize the set has a Splash Mtn pin, so good thing I found the set when I did, lol.

cyke23, TinyTink and starry_solo like this.
  7. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

Buyers market or resellers worst nightmare; pins from the sets I want to complete have come down a bit except a few. My grail even listed recently for an exorbitant amount and I later got messaged back about getting it for 25% off(still quite expensive in the upper hundreds); I can only assume someone jumped at it before I could reply...

TinyTink likes this.
  8. TinyTink

TinyTink Africa-The Real Animal Kingdom DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Yep...or when LE2000 pins suddenly shoot up to almost $100 (looking at you 'I Collect Figment' pin)

akarih likes this.
  9. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I got an Oswald WDI for half the price it normally goes for and also some LR Halloween pins from 2015 for three bucks a pop so I think this is possible.

coblj003 likes this.
  10. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 98%
    48   1   0

That unfortunately happens with almost every first in a popular series. In a year or two, it'll get back down to 3-4x cost.

TinyTink and starry_solo like this.
  11. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

I've noticed that a lot of pins that are normally very HTF are coming out of the woodwork. However, they're also being posted at pretty exorbitant prices. (Looking at you, #1 Tink Grail)

12. cyke23

cyke23 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

There’s best offer! But wow...what a price.

13. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0

It hurts. I understand asking that much, but considering I think it sold on the forum for like $80 at one point, it really hurts. I’m going to see the feasibility of liquidating one of my collections and putting in an offer, but tbh it’s not my style. (I’d much rather trade than buy.) Also, even if I could liquidate, the best offer I could put in would still probably be more than a month of rent. Which, as a concept, I’m not a fan of.

coblj003, TinyTink and tiffychann like this.
  14. tiffychann

tiffychann Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

I am constantly debating this all the time, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purplemandms likes this.
  15. Sortlora

Sortlora Active Member

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

I really want the Rapunzel Spring pin but not for $100

16. cyke23

cyke23 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

Ooh ouch. Yes reminds me of regrets of seeing a pin for a price, passing on it though I still wanted, and then later on it’s 2x to 10x the cost. I’m thinking....I can fly to WDW cheaper than some of the expensive pins I want.

coblj003 and TinyTink like this.
  17. pinnochiolover

pinnochiolover UK Collector/Trader

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0

I rarely see any of my wants come up, and those that do are still super expensive too. I think it just depends on what you are looking for. Congrats on snagging some long time ISO!

18. Sortlora

Sortlora Active Member

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0

I saw the Naveen profile for $100 a few months ago and now it’s going for $300. Even Taran is going for $200. I hope Marian goes back down I should have bought her when I had the chance

19. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

I think WDI pins have doubled or tripled since the end of May.

20. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    313   0   0

I think that depending on what you collect, you can either snag some really good deals right now or be out of luck. I've noticed that more Robin Hood pins have popped up lately, but mostly have been for the same price or higher. So if you have the spare funds you can find some good pins, but not for a big deal.

WDI and some set from the recent D23 have REALLY shot up. Profiles are out of control and the cat naps went bonkers! I got Simba for $50 right before they shot up and now I can't find Nala for less than $200. Some sets, though, like the Best in Show and the Heroine action pins, have stayed relatively constant.

21. Spr175psu

Spr175psu Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    87   0   0

I know exactly what you mean. I’ve done this on a few different occasions, most recently to obtain my ultimate Gaston grail, the cast jumbo.

I tried many times over the years to trade for it, even to work out a bulk trade since my traders weren’t very good. Eventually, I worked out a price with a seller that I could live with, liquidated from a collection I didn’t care as much about, and “bulk traded” the old fashioned way, cash for goods.

Of course that cash could have been used for a million other things, but I wouldn’t have sold those pins to get those million other things. Years from now, I probably wouldn’t even remember what I used that cash for and that collection that I liquidated would be long forgotten, but when I look at that cast jumbo, I’ll always know the sacrifice I made to acquire it and the mini collection that I originally worked so hard to obtain was “traded” for something I really wanted. And that will put a slight smile on my face every time.

At least that’s how I justify such things, but I say go for it!

And parenthetically, at the current market rates, it wouldn’t take very many splash pins to achieve that ultimate grail, which I never thought I would say.

Cheshirecat26 and timeerkat like this.
  22. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    530   0   0

I think so too. Those D23 cat naps - people are all crazy for them now...

23. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

I agree that they have gone bonkers I’ve noticed quite a few people are collecting (or trying to collect) the entire set now. I think it might be due to the lack of higher end pin sets being released.

24. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

I have noticed some older Disney Auction pins being available for good prices.

I got a pair of Disney Auction Belle pins at their original cost, and I got a minor Disney Auction Ariel grail at a great price recently.

:)

25. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    530   0   0

Wow, I need to go start looking again for sis! Which ones did you get?

coblj003 likes this.