• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Ariel Stained Glass (PP 20373)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ariel Stained Glass (PP 20373)

NDBounce

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have 4 (don't ask, don't judge) Ariel pin 20373.

Sadly I'm pretty sure 2 are fake. But which two is my question.

I'm attaching photos. On the front, all are similar except one which has some discoloration on part of the pin. BUT given the age and overall condition of the pin, I'm not 100% ready to call this a fake just yet, especially since it is listed as an AP of the pin.

The big difference in the pins is that 2 have shiny backs, and two have dull backs. On eof the ones with a dull back is stamped AP. But before we get too excited about that, here are some concerns:

On the dull back pins, the "nobs" that connect the Ariel part to the circle part, have slight "rings" around them (which are shiny). The shiny backs seem more "authentic" with no "manufacturing flaws/marks"

Also the shiny backs and AP have a pin that is 11/16 inches from the top of the pin. The other dull back pin has a pin that is 13/16 inches from the top.

And to add to my confusion one shiny pin has a shiny Pin Trading Logo, the other shiny pin has a logo that is going bad (partially shiny and partially dull, with the dull parts matching the dullness of the dull pins), which makes me wonder if all 4 are real, and two were just less used/better cared for.

Any thoughts/ideas? Has anyone heard if these were faked?

3ea9c6e6e73a5f4a90c57815e440bd4e.jpg

Top Two:
6cd86c7086d6ab826001cce88566f2de.jpg

Bottom Two:
66bb265fa609c997351aa3c209aabd41.jpg

Backs:
e85b324aa0f786fb38505deb8aa292f2.jpg

Shiny (Top Two):
3e2bd17ebdff25cb3c9ae404d9a2c466.jpg

Dull (Bottom Two):
1ed685ff8a4bc75e5b8e397e7e9b464e.jpg

Ok, Pin Sleuths, I leave this to you.

And if anyone is going to be at WDW Oct 13-15, I'd be happy to show you in person!

Thank you,

Fr. Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Addendum - the dull backed, non-ap pin has a darker purple in the dress than the other pins, and it also is more magnetic (the other three respond to a magnet, but the dull backed, dark purple, non AP pin is much more magnetic).

I can't say for sure since I no longer have this pin, but in my experiance, pins this old didn't get scrapped (nor do they tend to go for the ones with this much detail! And they rarely do ones with glitter, or other tricky enamel effects). However, pins this old could possibly wear and tarnish at different rates, it's a 14 year old pin! The magnet test doesn't really ring true, and I don't see any super obvious flags here.

I can't say for sure since I no longer have this pin, but in my experiance, pins this old didn't get scrapped (nor do they tend to go for the ones with this much detail! And they rarely do ones with glitter, or other tricky enamel effects). However, pins this old could possibly wear and tarnish at different rates, it's a 14 year old pin! The magnet test doesn't really ring true, and I don't see any super obvious flags here.

I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back