• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Be civil when responding to Trade Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be civil when responding to Trade Requests

figment919

Super Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
I have been trading for over 12 years and I thought I have seen/heard it all but there is an alarming trend happening that I just have to get off of my chest. When you respond to a Trade request that you feel is "not fair" a simple "no thanks" will suffice. I/we do not have to read things like "are you kidding" are you "stupid" and so on.

Often Traders are looking for a particular character, series, fill in a collection and such and the only criteria is not always LE size. I have made MANY lopsided trades not in my favor over the years because someone had a pin I really wanted. Also, when I check references often there are none on any of the Pin sites for the Traders who make such comments - thus I assume they are "new to the hobby". SO take a deep breath and mind your manners - this is a hobby after all!!

Mike S.
Figment919

Mike I agree whole heartedly that wew should all be decent when trading glad you posted this, it also applies to selling as well, had that happen to me and the other person has not been nice since they were the ones that were rude to start with.

Even an experienced trader could honestly not realize the value of a character they don't collect. There are way too many pins now to keep current on every single one!

Yes indeed!

If I feel a trade being offered is unfair in either direction, I'll either just say "I'm not interested but thanks" or, if I want to see if we can work something out, I'll just explain why I think so. POLITELY. Like "well, I think that's a bit lopsided since X is LE100 and Y is LE250 with many fewer people wanting it" or whatever. AND I will suggest something else. "How about Y + Z for X?" And if they're not into it then "okay, thanks anyway."

I've had a very rude trader before responding are you f kidding me which is very rude then a couple of months later he sent me a trade request he wanted my up 5th annoversary pin awhile ago and I said sorry definately not lol

Last edited:
I agree, my biggest hate is rudeness! A simple no thank you would always suffice :) Personally Id rather not get an answer at all than get a rude one.

I have such a hard time turning people down...i personally could never be that rude ): That's horrible.

Same here, I've actually traded really lop-sided in their favor before, because I wanted to make the other person happy and I was new (alright, I still am) and unsure of what was worth what. I've also probably thought that relatively short haggling sessions were "way too long" as well, and caved in before I probably should have, just because I didn't want to be rude and keep the haggling going forever.

On the flip side, a couple of my first trade attempts were really laughable with what I was offering (now that I know better), so I am thankful that those I made silly offers to have been nothing but polite to me, and never rude!

That all being said, lately I've been getting no replies at all on private messages to some active members on the forum here, and that actually bothers me more than "are you kidding", because I feel ignored when I see them posting and not acknowledging that I've sent them a message. Usually I am only asking if they still have a particular pin or not, if it's a grail for example that I've been having trouble finding. Why do people not reply a simple yes or no? Is my message center bugged and people aren't receiving them? Now that is frustrating, because I can't tell!

Yes to all of this. ^^

Be polite, people! We're collecting Disney. This should be a family friendly hobby. There is no need to be rude, and there is certainly no excuse for cursing at someone just because you don't like the pin they're offering. (I'm sorry that happened to you, Damiens Pins.)

On the other hand, I wish you could still send a message out with your trade requests on PinPics. When sending out uneven requests, I always used to write something like "I am willing to send you multiple pins! Please check out my traders and let me know if you see anything else you like. Thanks!"

Same here, I've actually traded really lop-sided in their favor before, because I wanted to make the other person happy and I was new (alright, I still am) and unsure of what was worth what. I've also probably thought that relatively short haggling sessions were "way too long" as well, and caved in before I probably should have, just because I didn't want to be rude and keep the haggling going forever.

On the flip side, a couple of my first trade attempts were really laughable with what I was offering (now that I know better), so I am thankful that those I made silly offers to have been nothing but polite to me, and never rude!

That all being said, lately I've been getting no replies at all on private messages to some active members on the forum here, and that actually bothers me more than "are you kidding", because I feel ignored when I see them posting and not acknowledging that I've sent them a message. Usually I am only asking if they still have a particular pin or not, if it's a grail for example that I've been having trouble finding. Why do people not reply a simple yes or no? Is my message center bugged and people aren't receiving them? Now that is frustrating, because I can't tell!

Yikes! I'm sorry. I hate it when PMs go unanswered, too. :(

Okay so I am probably the last person you might expect to be rude, but I get so many offers of hidden mickeys and rack pins for LE pins I sometimes am not the most pleasant with my replies. It is not unusual for me to tell the other trader I am not interested in trading my older LE pin for a new rack pin. I don't put them on blast, but at times wish I could.

I am also tired of the new excuse. These "new" people are not offering LE pins for rack pins, it is always the other way. I always say pin trading is supposed to be fun, and I believe that with all of my heart. But if people don't take the time to learn what is reasonable and think, "would I make this trade if the roles were reversed" then I am sorry if I seem curt. Now I would never swear in a reply that is just rude and uncalled for. But think about the offers you are making before you click that send button. It is supposed to be fun for both sides and getting requests that are silly isn't fun either.

On the other hand, I wish you could still send a message out with your trade requests on PinPics. When sending out uneven requests, I always used to write something like "I am willing to send you multiple pins! Please check out my traders and let me know if you see anything else you like. Thanks!"

YES THIS. Sometimes I don't have a single pin that would make it an equal trade, and now there's no way on Pinpics to offer multiple pins for one pin.

Okay so I am probably the last person you might expect to be rude, but I get so many offers of hidden mickeys and rack pins for LE pins I sometimes am not the most pleasant with my replies. It is not unusual for me to tell the other trader I am not interested in trading my older LE pin for a new rack pin. I don't put them on blast, but at times wish I could.

I am also tired of the new excuse. These "new" people are not offering LE pins for rack pins, it is always the other way. I always say pin trading is supposed to be fun, and I believe that with all of my heart. But if people don't take the time to learn what is reasonable and think, "would I make this trade if the roles were reversed" then I am sorry if I seem curt. Now I would never swear in a reply that is just rude and uncalled for. But think about the offers you are making before you click that send button. It is supposed to be fun for both sides and getting requests that are silly isn't fun either.

+1

I'm not rude and I'm one of those "treat others as you would want to be treated" people, but sometimes it gets real annoying. I mostly answer "thank you for the offer but I'll pass" or something like that, but some people just won't listen. The ones that send out the same trade request week after week, even after me telling them no, end up being ignored.

YES THIS. Sometimes I don't have a single pin that would make it an equal trade, and now there's no way on Pinpics to offer multiple pins for one pin.

Actually, you can. When you select a pin in Trade Asst, at the very bottom of the window, it shows "select member to trade with." You can jot down the username from the Trade Asst. Then search that username in Member Search. Then after selecting the member, on the left side, the first red button is "Send Message." Then you can write exactly what you wish you could, via trade asst. The message will come through someone's Inbox instead of Trade Request.

oh and although its sad to see this post first off when I got here. Its very cool to see the family sticking together and big brother and sister ready to help the new guys learn the way.

Always remember this is a hobby and for us all to have fun.

WWWD...????

Actually, you can. When you select a pin in Trade Asst, at the very bottom of the window, it shows "select member to trade with." You can jot down the username from the Trade Asst. Then search that username in Member Search. Then after selecting the member, on the left side, the first red button is "Send Message." Then you can write exactly what you wish you could, via trade asst. The message will come through someone's Inbox instead of Trade Request.

This is the way I've been doing it lately. The new system is actually pretty good; being a programmer myself, people don't realise how complicated the back-end of a truly full-service trade assistant actually is. It's too bad the current system seems to be a step backwards in complexity from the old one. I really liked the ability to set up a whole slew of trades and then prune them before sending them out.

It's too bad the current system seems to be a step backwards in complexity from the old one. I really liked the ability to set up a whole slew of trades and then prune them before sending them out.
I forgot that I used to do this. I still do. Sometimes I will click someone and then see that I chose a pin that is ridiculous. So in the second step, I leave that pin unclicked.

I usually say, Thank you for your request, I am not interested in making this trade. I think I sound kinda stiff, but it is what
my fingers seem to want to type every time. :)

I received a "no" recently and I thought it was very nice. "Thank you for the kind trade offer, but I will decline this time."

I agree! Be polite. I have asked some people who have sent me a lopsided trade request if they feel it would be a fair trade for me. It started a conversation and I was able to work out many a trade this way as most agreed it was lopsided. I have also made many counter-offers which led to trades. But then, I have also been cussed out for not agreeing to trade - my good/pricey LE 500 for a LE 30000 (which was not comparable). I was taken aback by this as we are trading Disney pins. To me, this kind of behavior has no place in this hobby. If I send what somebody feels is a lopsided trade request, I would rather have them be honest and tell me they feel it is an unfair trade to them as we all have different views on valuing pins.

I understand what you are saying here, docfish2u, but this is probably one of the biggest reasons why I hate sending out trade requests. I'm not new or inexperienced but when I was, I had no idea wth an LE pin was or that they even made such a thing. It was the kindness of a few trade replies telling me that my offer was unbalanced that allowed me to learn.

Even still there are plenty of OE pins that have a larger want/trade ration than an LE100 pin so then traders says "Well, mine has more wants/trades than yours." All fine and good but a person can't really complain about an OE for an LE being unfair when traders often turn down an LE for an OE. And funnier still when you offer offer an unfair trade in their favor, less than 1% will ever bother to talk to you about it!

We all value our pins but rarely do we value them on the same level as our fellow traders and while certainly no one should be rude in a reply of any kind, the truth is it very well is our fellow traders here on the boards who send out scathing replies. While I would prefer they simply say "no thanks" at least they replied. I sent out 238 requests to 156 different traders through pinpics in January and only one replied at all! What does that say about our community as a whole? :(

Did i tell everyone in the past about this but no one will listen to me pin tradiers are f%&k rude but no body care of what i say they push me way and they get lost or go away they are sharks

I do understand both sides. I'm new to trading even though i'm not new to collecting, so of course I know about pin value and LE edition sizes... but still, the value of each pin isn't that clear for me and in fact I sometimes don't understand why some pins are more valuable than others even if they have the same edition size.... Also I don't really care about edition sizes, I would trade an LE 250 pin for a gorgeous OE pin, if it's something I like and search for. So I understand that for new collectors this all might be confusing and it's always very helpfull if experienced traders tell them, why the decline a trade.
Of course, there are also sharks that know exactly the value and try to find someone stupid for a lopside trade.... it'sad, but there are bad people everywhere....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back