• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Best way to display pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best way to display pins?

jprincess

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hi everyone! My small Tangled collection is gradually growing so I am wanting to create a special display for it! I've seen some beautiful ones on the forum.

My question is what are some ways to display pins?

I currently have a giant cork board. But I would prefer if somehow it had a black background instead or a sparkly dark background. Any suggestions?

Do shadowbox's work well? How do people make those work with pins?

Thanks! :)
I really appreciate this community. I've learned so much about pin trading since joining and my collection is growing. Yay!

You could still use a corkboard and paint it black. I display my pins on canvas, which you can also paint black or different colors. I've never used a shadowbox but I've seen some beautiful displays with them.

When I use a cork board, I cover it with a large piece of black-felt (can find at JoAnns in the fabric section and get it cheap). You can pick any color felt/fabric you want. I have used regular picture frames. I take out the glass and replace it with a piece of cork (cut to fit). Then just push the pin thru (it may go through the cork and come out a little in the back). You can also cover the cork with a piece of paper (either solid colored or maybe some scrap-book paper that matches the theme). I have posted a few pictures in the show-room section...

As you can tell, I like to display my pins in ways that I can see and enjoy them. :)

I have made several displays using shadow boxes and they work pretty good. Early on, the padding on the back was thicker, but lately the padding is thin and the pins hit the wood back and do not penetrate enough. So I have had to buy foam poster board and cut it to fit the frame. I use two sided tape to secure it to the frame and then I can attach any pictures or color paper to the foam board for decoration.

You could still use a corkboard and paint it black. I display my pins on canvas, which you can also paint black or different colors. I've never used a shadowbox but I've seen some beautiful displays with them.

Oh that's a neat idea with the canvas. Thanks! :)

When I use a cork board, I cover it with a large piece of black-felt (can find at JoAnns in the fabric section and get it cheap). You can pick any color felt/fabric you want. I have used regular picture frames. I take out the glass and replace it with a piece of cork (cut to fit). Then just push the pin thru (it may go through the cork and come out a little in the back). You can also cover the cork with a piece of paper (either solid colored or maybe some scrap-book paper that matches the theme). I have posted a few pictures in the show-room section...

As you can tell, I like to display my pins in ways that I can see and enjoy them. :)

Oh felt would make sense! Also it would be affordable. That's a great suggestion! This is super helpful. Thanks for helping me figure out the best approach for my display. Really appreciate it!

I have made several displays using shadow boxes and they work pretty good. Early on, the padding on the back was thicker, but lately the padding is thin and the pins hit the wood back and do not penetrate enough. So I have had to buy foam poster board and cut it to fit the frame. I use two sided tape to secure it to the frame and then I can attach any pictures or color paper to the foam board for decoration.

Oh that's awesome. Thanks for the suggestion. Thanks for explaining in detail what supplies I would need to do this. Really appreciate the help! :)

I have small boards for each family member. I take a black tee shirt and wrap the cork frames. I pull them tight and staple the back. You get a smooth black background that will not show holes. I find it a cheap easy way to get the job done.

I have small boards for each family member. I take a black tee shirt and wrap the cork frames. I pull them tight and staple the back. You get a smooth black background that will not show holes. I find it a cheap easy way to get the job done.

Oh that's a great idea! Thanks for sharing! That would be a lot cheaper than other approaches for sure. Thank you! :)

I have a big shadow box frame that I have used for a long time - about 10+ years. Recently though I have been putting new acquisitions on a cork board and have been enjoying that a lot.
I actually enjoy interacting with the pins, being able to move them around and stuff. So now I am thinking about replacing the shadow box with a large framed cork board.

I have a big shadow box frame that I have used for a long time - about 10+ years. Recently though I have been putting new acquisitions on a cork board and have been enjoying that a lot.
I actually enjoy interacting with the pins, being able to move them around and stuff. So now I am thinking about replacing the shadow box with a large framed cork board.

Oh that's an awesome idea! Yeah I ended up buying a giant cork board that I'm gonna try to put fabric over. Because I can never seem to decide where I'm gonna put a pin at first. Thanks for the suggestion. I almost went the shadowbox approach. But you made a fantastic point about the moving pins. Thanks for your help! :) really appreciate it!

I second the felt. I did a test a while back and found that pulling the pin out and putting it back many times did not leave much of a trace. When it did I rubbed my finger over it a couple times and the hole was gone. Good luck on your display. I look forward to seeing it :)

I second the felt. I did a test a while back and found that pulling the pin out and putting it back many times did not leave much of a trace. When it did I rubbed my finger over it a couple times and the hole was gone. Good luck on your display. I look forward to seeing it :)

I bought velvet cause the craft store employee said to use that. :O do you think velvet will work as well? Thankfully had a coupon. Felt would make a lot of sense to use.

I have bought "memory boxes" (think they're pretty similar to shadow boxes) and used these to display pins- in also pretty crafty so enjoy creating a background with board and then fabric or scrapbook paper which IMO is much nicer than just plain cork board. I have also bought some custom lanyards to display my collections (or some of them haha) on as I figured half the fun is showing them off at the parks! Sadly they're so heavy I don't wear them for long!

I used velvet for my Aristocats display and am disappointed. When I have added pins, making is necessary to move things around, the holes are fairly obvious. The velvet is a lighter color (greenish) which may be the problem. Don't know if black velvet would show the holes. I currently am using large cork boards which I really do like for the reasons given above- I can move pins around with ease.

I have a giant cork board display case like you see in office buildings that I keep all of my "Keeper" pins in. I filled it up though so now I've put several in frames and shadow boxes. Here's a couple of examples:

20130713_203805-1.jpg

20130716_193318.jpg

20130716_193310.jpg

20150621_081231.jpg

20130716_193226.jpg

I'm a major proponent of shadow boxes. Hahah! Typically, I'll put a layer of batting or something light, then cover it with a layer of felt, then put the pins in. The batting presses the pins against the glass, and that pressure is enough to keep them from falling. It's much lighter than putting cork in the case, though that works too. :)

~Merlin

I used velvet for my Aristocats display and am disappointed. When I have added pins, making is necessary to move things around, the holes are fairly obvious. The velvet is a lighter color (greenish) which may be the problem. Don't know if black velvet would show the holes. I currently am using large cork boards which I really do like for the reasons given above- I can move pins around with ease.

Yes the holes do show. I unfortunately had already bought the velvet and glued it onto cork. Whoops. But it's not too bad if I can place a pin over it to hide the hole.

I have a giant cork board display case like you see in office buildings that I keep all of my "Keeper" pins in. I filled it up though so now I've put several in frames and shadow boxes. Here's a couple of examples:

20130713_203805-1.jpg

20130716_193318.jpg

20130716_193310.jpg

20150621_081231.jpg

20130716_193226.jpg

Oh wow. I really like how it's framed in glass. That's something I want to eventually do. Thanks for sharing!!! :D

I'm a major proponent of shadow boxes. Hahah! Typically, I'll put a layer of batting or something light, then cover it with a layer of felt, then put the pins in. The batting presses the pins against the glass, and that pressure is enough to keep them from falling. It's much lighter than putting cork in the case, though that works too. :)

~Merlin

How do you get the felt to stay? Do you hot glue gun it to the batting? What exactly do you mean by batting? Is it called that at a craft store! Really liked the pictures of your displayed pins in the glass shadow boxes. Wasn't sure though how you exactly did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back