• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Buying on Mercari?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buying on Mercari?

_Stitch

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to buy some pins on Mercari. They all seem to be pretty cheap though, so I want to know if any of you have bought pins on a Mercari, and if so, what was your experience with it? Thanks!

I want to buy some pins on Mercari. They all seem to be pretty cheap though, so I want to know if any of you have bought pins on a Mercari, and if so, what was your experience with it? Thanks!
Hi,
I had never heard of Mercari before your post. I went and looked. Some of the pins look great, and prices seems spot on or even a little expensive. Other sales look inexpensive but could contain scrappers.

Seems to me, that you will run into the same issues as you do on any site like this. There will be great deals on authentic items, and there will be great deals on scrappers (meaning not a great deal at all). Part of the problem is that a lot of people don't even realize they are selling a scrapper. When I see the description saying things like - "all pins were only traded at a Park from a Cast Member" - it clues me in that the person either doesn't realize that scrappers more than often actually come off a cast member; the seller is either a new person to the hobby, and lulled into thinking that a park trade is safe, and they really don't know that they have fakes, or they suspect/know they have scrappers and are hoping it sounds good to a new hobbyist and sell the fakes as "park traded real pins".

I'm sorry I can't help you more than that, and you probably know all that stuff I just said...hopefully someone else can give you more info!

In the mean-time, I am going to go look at some more of those listings. :)

Hi,
I had never heard of Mercari before your post. I went and looked. Some of the pins look great, and prices seems spot on or even a little expensive. Other sales look inexpensive but could contain scrappers.

Seems to me, that you will run into the same issues as you do on any site like this. There will be great deals on authentic items, and there will be great deals on scrappers (meaning not a great deal at all). Part of the problem is that a lot of people don't even realize they are selling a scrapper. When I see the description saying things like - "all pins were only traded at a Park from a Cast Member" - it clues me in that the person either doesn't realize that scrappers more than often actually come off a cast member; the seller is either a new person to the hobby, and lulled into thinking that a park trade is safe, and they really don't know that they have fakes, or they suspect/know they have scrappers and are hoping it sounds good to a new hobbyist and sell the fakes as "park traded real pins".

I'm sorry I can't help you more than that, and you probably know all that stuff I just said...hopefully someone else can give you more info!

In the mean-time, I am going to go look at some more of those listings. :)
Ok thanks! I just saw some really good listings! If they have a backing card though, does it most likely mean they are real?

Ok thanks! I just saw some really good listings! If they have a backing card though, does it most likely mean they are real?
I believe I have traded for a few pins which were fake, but had backing cards, so I personally no longer conclude a backing card equals real pin.

I've sold on Mercari (well sis does). It is really great for something that is bulky and travels far (like a popcorn bucket) - like they charge less than $10 for shipping a specialty popcorn bucket from CA to FL. So I've used it to sell those at cost to people I know where shipping would be closer to $20 (with fees & all) to FL.

There can be good deals and a lot of scrappers.

I have heard that some fakes also can have backer cards. Sorry, I really am not sure.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back