Classic Disney Clamshell VHS Case Pin Box

Discussion in 'Pin Showroom' started by stratasfan, May 18, 2019.

1. stratasfan

stratasfan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thought I'd share a fun pin box that Sis and I came up with. We bought a bunch of NOS classic Disney clamshell VHS tapes and turned the cases into pin boxes. Sis and I loved the old classic cases, but without the need for video tapes, didn't have a reason for having one except nostalgia! -grin- Then we got into pins and came up with these! They are so fun! Also fun, as you can fit approx. 12-18 pins (depends on size, really) in the case. I made special inserts for the case of cork-covered-foamcore, and it goes where the VHS tap sat. You can fill it with pins and close it up and it works to store it, look cool, and keep the dust off, and is so fun to handle and have! We sold a bunch of these last year, but kept a bunch back. The paper is interchangeable, so you can actually get any VHS case that is one of these clam shells and take the paper insert out to change them around. Here are pictures of Sis' Jiminy collection in one.

Here is the case closed:

[​IMG]

Here is the case open:

[​IMG]

Here is the case on the shelf of her roll-top computer desk:

[​IMG]

2. Story

Story PinPics : writerkay

Rating - 100%
    277   0   0

This is such a cute idea!!! I love seeing the wealth of creativity everyone has here. Thanks so much for sharing with all of us! :)

3. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0

I’ve have several of these too but yours look so much better...lol...awesome job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. stratasfan

stratasfan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Thanks! They are a bit time consuming to make, os that they fit together and look like a real insert, however, they are so cool once you get to use them! I have a 20,000 Leagues one that I am putting my Nautilus collection in, and it is a nice way for that one, as the collection is a bit limiting. :)

5. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    97   0   0

Love this idea. Trying to remember if I have any of these left... I might and if I do I am going to do this too. Love the 're-use' aspect of this (ie, not sending more plastic too the landfill... since not sure these would recycle here.)

6. stratasfan

stratasfan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Exactly! Donate the tape and make the insert and you will have a super cool pin box! If you have enough cases, you'll have a super cool pin box shelf! :)

slbrabham and ItzaPinfan like this.
  7. OpieDoodle

OpieDoodle Member

0   0   0

This is a really cool idea, great for storage for pins you don't want to display on your wall to ensure they're protected as well.

8. CoryTheRaven

CoryTheRaven Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

That's actually pretty brilliant! I might make use of that idea some day! Great idea!

9. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I love these! Such a cute idea if you run out of wall space for some smaller collections.

10. stratasfan

stratasfan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

We just traded a case with another pin collector, and her favorite is "Tangled", so Sis took a scan of the DVD paper insert and made it into an insert for one of these clamshell cases, as "Tangled" isn't in one of these originally. Now I am wanting to do one for "UP!". :)

11. Donald Duck Trader

Donald Duck Trader Member

0   0   0

I love this idea. I am trying it myself. A suggestion; paint the corkboard black so that it looks like a VHS tape.

12. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I saw lots of clam-shell Disney VHS at the Volunteers of America Thrift Store today for .90.
    I didn't actually buy any, but wanted to let people know. Check your local thrift stores for cheap ones. :)

13. Koda Pup

Koda Pup New Member

0   0   0

That's really cool. Will have to find my old Lilo and Stitch VHS for whenever I start my Stitch collection

Does the corkboard stay in place, or does it tend to shift or try to pop out?

14. stratasfan

stratasfan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

No . . . the corkboard does not shift. You can remove it, but you have to be careful and it isn't super easy. I cut them to fit the inside of the case. The Disney clamshells vary, as well, as far as the inside shape, so each one is made to fit. I also have the older cork-over-foam, which is thicker cork than they sell now. Sadly everything goes downhill! :)

If you find your old case and the case is cracked, I can sell you a case with no paper insert. That way you'd have your L&S insert. :)

15. Happily Ever After

Happily Ever After Member

0   0   0

This is an incredible idea! I wonder if I could get crafty and make/print a VHS cover for some of the newer movies to slip into empty VHS sleeves for a vintage look. Super cool!

16. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I broke down and went back to the thrift store to pick some up. :) Maybe sell some and also use some to send pins in to people. :)

I used Eva foam with a self adhesive back, so my inserts don't come out.

17. stratasfan

stratasfan Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Here are pictures of three that we've made, using scans of DVD cases. You have to take them into Photoshop and do some work to make it the right shape. The higher-the-res scan, too, works better!

Right now, I am having her do "Up", and the live-action Robin Hood. :)

Here is a link to more pics of different cases. Maybe you'll get an idea! :)

Pin-Trading Accessories

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Those inserts look amazing! I would love to have a Sorcerer Mickey one. I guess that would be Fantasia right?

Any chance I could buy an insert from you?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

19. Kelsanna

Kelsanna New Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

SO cool! I'm definitely going to have to search out the local thrift store for some VHS.

20. Koda Pup

Koda Pup New Member

0   0   0

Good to know the bigger issue is getting the corkboard out rather than keeping it in. Then again I'm terrible at DIY and craft projects so we'll see.

Aww, thanks! That's a really nice offer. I'll have to fish mine out of the basement one of these days and see the condition - I think it'll be OK once it's dusted, but if it's unusable will yet you know!

21. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

@stratasfan is there any chance I can buy a Fantasia insert from you?