Collectible PinTrader App and Website

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by Collectible PinTrader, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Collectible PinTrader

Collectible PinTrader New Member

0   0   0

Some of you may be aware of the iOS / Android "Collectible PinTrader" app used for keeping track of your Disney Pin collection, wants, and traders. It's been released on both the Apple and Google app stores since July 11th, 2018. If you want to try it out, search for "Collectible PinTrader" in either store. You can either create an account once you download it or you can login as a guest just to see how it works. The app now has a website to go with it at Collectible PinTrader The apps and the website share a common server, so anything you do on one is available on the other.

All images and most of the pin information will be shared with the public under a Creative Commons License. This means that photos and information which are used by the app will be available to the public for whatever use they choose -- including creating another app or website for Disney Pin trading -- as long as they also share their photos and data freely. It's the community's work and it should stay in the community. The link to the shared drive is on the Facebook page.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. MasteringMatt

MasteringMatt Active Member

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0

Just trying to get a feeling for how many people are using this. Let me know.

3. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0

I have this app on my phone. Great for tracking hidden mickeys while running around the parks. It has all of the current hidden Mickey's for wdw and dlr. Tracking mystery sets seems to be a excellent use for it.

Connies_Hobby likes this.
  4. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

I also have/use the app but see it’s going to be an uphill battle on building their data warehouse...shame too because a useable app is really what you need when you’re on the run in parks and at events...but as other users said for mystery boxes/bags and HM works for what you need and ease of use to find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connies_Hobby likes this.
  5. Collectible PinTrader

0   0   0

Last I checked, the app/website was at around 750 members. As others have said, the size of the database is the limiting factor at the moment. I try to make sure things like Hidden Mickeys are available as soon as possible so that people can use it when at the parks. If there are other sets which people really want to see sooner, let me know.

Otherwise, what we most need is people willing and able to moderate. Thanks to PinTradingDB, we have over 20,000 pins waiting to go live following moderation. If anyone is interested in helping with that process, let me know.

Connies_Hobby and starry_solo like this.
  6. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

While at the mall, I realized that if you could also prioritize the Box Lunch / Loungefly pins being added to the database, that would be great. While I keep pretty good track of picking up the pins from my primary collections, with the "buy 2 get 1 free, under $10" promo they run all the time, I pick up a bunch of other pins too and I do a worse job keeping track of which ones I have. So if I could check an app, while out shopping it would be very useful.

LadyBarclay likes this.
  7. Collectible PinTrader

0   0   0

Looks like we have around 50 Loungefly pins in the system awaiting moderation. I'll see if we can get those up sooner rather than later :) Thanks for the suggestion.

LadyBarclay and hopemax like this.
  8. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0

First loungefly pins are now available in this app!

9. Collectible PinTrader

0   0   0

Version 1.0.5 of the app is available now. :)

As always, suggestions welcome.

10. Collectible PinTrader

0   0   0

2019 Hidden Mickey WDW Wave A pins are in the app :)

Once the DLR ones start showing up, we'll add those.

Happy hunting!

11. Sbravener

Sbravener New Member

0   0   0

I would be interested in helping moderate/approve pins. shoot me a msg here or at sbravener [at] gmail [dot]com

12. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Just joined. Is there another data base as well - other than pin pics?

Thanks

13. Collectible PinTrader

0   0   0

I haven't posted in a while and wanted to make everyone aware that we're still updating the iOS / Android "Collectible PinTrader" app used for keeping track of your Disney Pin collection, wants, and traders. It's been released on both the Apple and Google app stores since July 2018. If you want to try it out, search for "Collectible PinTrader" in either store. You can either create an account once you download it or you can login as a guest just to see how it works. The app now has a website to go with it at Collectible PinTrader The apps and the website share a common server, so anything you do on one is available on the other.

All images and most of the pin information will be shared with the public under a Creative Commons License. This means that photos and information which are used by the app will be available to the public for whatever use they choose -- including creating another app or website for Disney Pin trading -- as long as they also share their photos and data freely. It's the community's work and it should stay in the community. The link to the shared drive is on the Facebook page.

Version 1.2.0 has gone live on both Android and iOS. What will be most obvious is that we've updated the search pages to look a bit more modern. Other features include the ability to search for pins by SKU (we don't have many SKUs in the system yet though) and the option to cancel a search if it's taking too long.

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.
  14. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0

This is great information. Thank you!

15. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0

Just wanted to add. This database has grown a lot in the last year. Hidden Mickeys and Mystery Sets are updated pretty quickly, so it is a good tool for tracking those on the fly.

16. rik1138

rik1138 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

I have a couple of questions:
    1- I notice the pictures are watermarked... I'm not sure this is even allowed under a public creative commons license unless the photographer themselves added the watermark (it's usually 'discouraged', so I suppose it's allowed as long as the website clearly states the images will be altered in this way)...
    Either way, if you are making a database 'for the community', permanent watermarks should absolutely not be used. How can I get the database/photos unmarked to use in another app or website, as you state we are allowed to do? (And, as the copyright holder of my photos, I simply don't want them watermarked at all, including ones I've uploaded to other sites...)

2- Will you ever make a way to sign up that doesn't use Facebook or Google? I have no interest in using either of those methods to sign in (those companies track our online activities enough as it is... :) ). Can you program it so we can just create an account in the app itself?

17. Collectible PinTrader

0   0   0

1. The images displayed through the app / website contain a watermark, but the data stored for free use do not. See Collectible_PinTrader - Google Drive. Note that the use of watermarks on the site is only to discourage / make obvious if another site attempts to display images from my site on their site. While I am happy to share the images, I'm not happy to pay for the extra bandwidth if someone were to link to the images.

2. I was trying to stay out of the job of storing login information. Are there any other 3rd parties you would be more comfortable authenticating through? Amazon? Twitter? Reddit? Steam? Those four have at least server support -- I'd have to look at whether app support exists for them. If enough folks would prefer not to use any 3rd party, I could look into what it would take to store login information.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  18. SnoozyBluez

SnoozyBluez Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I didn’t know about this app. It will come in handy!

19. rik1138

rik1138 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

Cool, great to see that! No worries at all about the watermark for the reasons you've mentioned... I'm not a fan of watermarking in general, but understand the reasons you are doing it. As long as the unaltered images are available, that's fine with me. :)

Heh, don't actually use any of those... (Well, I have an Amazon login, but wouldn't want to use that either.) I'm just one of those 'I hate being tracked by these huge companies' type of people... There's a reason they make 3rd party logins so easy to use- they want to track everything we do to have better products (us) to sell to other corporations... Just not my thing.
    I'm probably in the minority there, considering no one has mentioned it yet... :)

krand1276 likes this.
  20. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

You're not alone. I'm right there with you.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

21. Collectible PinTrader

0   0   0

If anyone knows of current mystery or booster sets that aren’t in our system, please let me know.

22. speedwaystar1

speedwaystar1 UK Disney Fan

Rating - 100%
    212   0   0

Early days but it's looking like a useful app & website
    More focused on mystery pins / hidden mickeys which makes it great for park trading , looking forward to trying it out :)

23. Collectible PinTrader

0   0   0

Still adding pins... Lots of new mystery sets. Does anyone know how much the Park Pals mystery box costs?

24. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0

Wish I could help... I would guess $19.99. @MerlinEmrys or @Connies_Hobby or @pincrazy any chance you bought any and would know?

25. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    563   0   0

If it's a mystery box of 2, then $19.99. :) but I haven't seen them in person to confirm.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk