Convince me not to start collecting Rescuers pins...PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by Spr175psu, Jun 9, 2020.

1. Spr175psu

Spr175psu Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    87   0   0

As most of you know, I am Mr. Toad complete.

[​IMG]

As far as my other collections are concerned, I only have 1 more ISO for my Gaston collection, 3 more for Emperor's New Groove, and reduced my Hercules collection to strictly the ones I like (mostly baby Pegasus and Zeus (I'm also Zeus complete)).

Although I have been focusing this year on my daughter's Ariel collection, I have also tinkered with the idea of starting Tron and Tiki Bird collections. But I really don't want to spread myself too thin like I did a few years ago and had to really dial back my wants list.

[​IMG]

And that brings me, finally, to the reason for this post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This past weekend, I watched for the first time the original Rescuers and thought it was an amazing, underrated little film with superb animation and voice acting. It was the last film animated by the majority of the Nine Old Men, who I have recently become obsessed with, and I believe they worked on the story and even directed it.

[​IMG]

Anyway, please talk me off the ledge because I am seriously considering a side Rescuers collection. I'd probably mostly be interested in Rufus and Ellie Mae.

[​IMG]

Nothing with Madam Medusa though...sorry!

[​IMG]

I'm just worried, again, that it'll become too overwhelming again, juggling several different collections and losing focus on my primary collections.

[​IMG]

2. stratasfan

stratasfan Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Well . . . I totally get the idea of not spreading to thin. Had to do that myself already, and we've only been at this seriously for two years. However, if you are that almost complete with your main collections . . . I'd say go ahead and start Rescuers so that you can have something to trade for while you are working on your completer pins! :)

Spr175psu likes this.
  3. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Of course . . . if you aren't the type to be able to concentrate on another while finishing your other collections . . . then I'd say finish the others first and then start a Rescuers collection!

Spr175psu likes this.
  4. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I suppose, looking at it . . . I just told you that you should start one and that you shouldn't start one! That helps you a lot! -grin-

Spr175psu likes this.
  5. Tokaji

Tokaji Pins and Needles

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0

Don't do it! You don't need another collection right now!

Spr175psu likes this.
  6. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spr175psu and CanaDaLE like this.
  7. swscref

swscref Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

The questions is, will you regret it if you don't?

8. Spr175psu

Spr175psu Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    87   0   0

This is awesome and basically tracks my own thought process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks, just what I needed, and very true, but I'm sure I will anyway ;)

You had me at Starsky. I'm sure if I very narrowly defined the collec......no, stop it, don't think like that. But it could be such a great side collection...

[​IMG]

I did also watch Treasure Planet recently for the first time in a while and actually enjoyed it too.

[​IMG]

Disney Plus is just evil. I'm not sure where I landed with Rescuers.

[​IMG]

9. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jack

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

It is too late. You are already on your way to another amazing pin collection!

Spr175psu likes this.
  10. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

You, my friend, have come to the wrong place if you want to be talked out of anything, I'm afraid. Haven't you been around here long enough to know we're the worst group of enablers you'll ever encounter?! And that's the exact argument that should seal the deal and your fate. In all actuality, I think you've already decided to start this collection, you just need to accept it and find a place to display your new treasures.

The thing about a collection is it can be as narrow or as broad as you choose to define it. When you collect from a film (like The Rescuers), you can collect every character and make it a main collection, you can collect a supporting/minor character and make it a side collection, or collect a variety and make your collection whatever works for you.

Furthermore, since you intend this as a side collection, in no way, shape, or form should it take away from your main collection (which, as of now, you've already completed). Should anything new appear for your primary collection, of course you can (and should) go after that first. There's no reason why you shouldn't have something to collect since you've achieved completist status with your main collection. And if you should find you're no longer interested in your newest side collection, you either can put it aside temporarily and see if the interest returns later or turn your latest pins into traders.

11. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

Hmmm...interesting dilemma! I have follow-up questions!

1.) If you did start it, would you feel like it would have to be complete? Or just you just focus on the ones you like? Could you do it all casual like, as a fun side project, or would you never be able to stick to that?

2.) Would it include Rescuers Down Under?

3.) There's 218 pins listed in Pinpics for Rescuers. Some of those are doubles, a lot of them are buttons, and you could subtract the Madam Medusa ones, which brings down that total a lot. But the real question is: how many of those pins are HTF or rare? Would you be getting yourself in to a world of hurt?

IF you could do it all casual like at first, I would give it a try, and see if you like the pins as much as you think you will.

Or! Maybe try this? Pick your top 10 or 20 you like, collect them, and make a little Rescuers shadowbox, as a tribute to the Twelve Old Men. Gives you a small hunt, gets you some pins you like, and you'll have a nice display at the end of it. But that way, it still limits you! If you still feel a drive after all of that to get more, at least you'll know your interest wasn't a passing fancy...

slbrabham likes this.