Craigslist Haul

Discussion in 'Pin Showroom' started by TonkaToy, Aug 2, 2019.

1. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Holy pin collection Bat Man!! I bought a pin collection on Craigslist. The pictures the owner posted were just a pile of pins - I could only see some of the actual pins, but the price was right and I took a chance. I am hoping to sell enough of them that I make my money back.

Today I went through all of these pins. I didn't find as many keepers as I was hoping for... but there are a lot of good sellers and traders! Also some dogs (in my opinion) but I can trade those. As far as I can tell, none of them are obvious scrappers, but I have to carefully double check that. Almost all of these pins are on their original cards. The woman who sold them to me said they were her mother's (who died 2 years ago). They have been sitting in a closet for a long time and she doesn't enjoy them, so off they go to craigslist.

My total cost for these pins was 296.00 (that includes the pins at 220.00, gas, rental car and bus fare to get to the airport to pick up the car). There are 281 pins and 14 pin sets. Which means I paid roughly 1.00 per pin!

Now I just need to make 300.00 dollars to be happy. LOL

I have a LOT of work to do.

I will be posting a for sale post on the forum first, and then on to our favorite auction site.

Most of these pins date from 2008 and earlier. Some are from the late 90's and most of them are from Paris and California. Not a lot of WDW pins.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    97   0   0

Looks like a lot of fun! Congrats

3. akarih

akarih Disappearing Cat Enthusiast

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Um..... WOW! That'a a lot of pins lol.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TonkaToy likes this.
  4. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0

That's an amazing haul! Looks like you have at least one WDI pin as well, that's a good one to have. Now to decide if you want to sell the top shelf ones and keep lots of smaller pins for traders or sell the smaller ones and keep the top shelf as traders.

MerlinEmrys likes this.
  5. Purplemandms

Purplemandms Like the candy!

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0

Super cool!! I love those princess rack pins, and it looks like there are a couple Tinks hidden in there. I approve!

TonkaToy likes this.
  6. MischiefMade

MischiefMade Ghost Dog Trainer

0   0   0

What an incredible haul! There seems to be lots of great pins!

TonkaToy likes this.
  7. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Or overwhelming... I can't decide which! Haha
    This is going to be like a full time job for me this summer!

8. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

There is so much to decide! I know for sure that a lot of the top shelf ones will be sold - A. because they aren't what I collect and B. because I want to make my money back! LOL
    A lot of these will be traders though I think. Gosh, I won't have to buy traders for years now! HAHAHA

chubs191 and MischiefMade like this.
  9. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    397   0   0

Wow! It's like finding a hidden treasure!

TonkaToy likes this.
  10. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I know! I think this lady must have been a REAL pin addict. There are just so many and such variety. I don't know if she was re-selling or what! There are pass-holder pins and vacation clubs, so I suspect she went to CA a lot and possibly to France on occasion. Tons of resort pins too. Her fav was obviously Easter and Spring. It is kind of amazing to see someone else's collection and try to guess what her interests were.

coblj003 and MischiefMade like this.
  11. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    175   0   0

Back in the day, people didn't "specialize" as much. People bought a lot on their vacations, whatever was available. That's what this reminds me of. There are still a fair number of WDW pins, mostly resort pins ( including a lot of pre-official pin trading). And a bunch of Disney Store sets, including older ones. So I think this person started buying pins before Official Disney Pin Trading, then got sucked into the Rabbit hole and then probably $$$ or health concerns led to a decline in travel and therefore a decline in pins.

I notice a few of the Adora Belle pins. Makes me wonder where the dolls are.

TonkaToy and Purplemandms like this.
  12. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0

What a great batch to get at a great price. Congrats!

TonkaToy likes this.
  13. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

A buck a pin is really good. Have fun going through all of these

TonkaToy likes this.
  14. DoReMarie

DoReMarie Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Wow that’s great! And so interesting! Can’t wait to see more pictures :) Best of luck!

TonkaToy likes this.
  15. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I also wondered about the dolls. She must have collected some of them! I love the haunted mansion doll pin and the small world doll pin. I am keeping them in my collection. :) I happen to collect HM and Small World - so it was meant to be.
    I agree with your thoughts. It seems like the earlier pins are all sort of just what she liked, or resort type souvenirs. Then, there start to be a whole bunch of pin trading type pins - and sets etc...
    It reads as a history of a pin collector. I don't think there are any pins past 2010!

slbrabham likes this.
  16. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    303   0   0

Holy cow, congrats! This is quite a haul!

TonkaToy likes this.
  17. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    82   0   0

Wow! I would love to sort through those.

TonkaToy likes this.
  18. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0

That’s a great find. Congrats!

19. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0

If this one's in the pile, please let me know - it's one I've been hunting for for ages and I'm guessing only an old-time collector would have one:

[​IMG]

Pin# 14631 Walt with Characters

20. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0

Congrats on the find, Ihope you are able to sort through and make your money back...

TonkaToy likes this.
  21. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I wish it were, but it is not here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

22. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0

Ah, well, my hunt will go on and on... :)

Congrats on all the goodies though!

TonkaToy likes this.
  23. chipdale4me

chipdale4me Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Great Haul!!!

As you go through it, I would be interested in Chip and Dale pins that might be in there ( can not really see them well enough to know if I have them yet).

Many thanks!

Paul
    chipdale4me

TonkaToy likes this.
  24. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Hi, I think I remember seeing at least one Chip and Dale pin. I think it was an LE Halloween one - I'll look through them and send you a PM if I find any more - there might also be a resort pin in there with C & D on it....

chipdale4me likes this.
  25. Hope Princess

Hope Princess Active Member

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Amazing haul! If you see any neat Minnie pins you don’t want I’ll be interested!

TonkaToy likes this.