D23 Expo 2019

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by SnoozyBluez, Jun 16, 2019.

1. SnoozyBluez

SnoozyBluez New Member

0   0   0

Hey everyone,

I will be attending my first D23 Expo this year. I've been doing my research and am very excited for my trip. I was just wondering about everyone's experiences/tips with the expo, especially the MOG Pin shop. What are you all looking forward to?

Connies_Hobby likes this.
  2. PinTraderSam

PinTraderSam Active Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

The gems in D23 are meeting directors of movies and getting things signed as well as attending panels in my personal opinion. The merchandise is great and exclusive but overall you’ll feel more enjoyment experiencing panels and meeting people like Pete Doctor, Mark Henn, Michael Giaccino, Erik Goldberg.

3. SnoozyBluez

SnoozyBluez New Member

0   0   0

I'm looking forward to the Parks & Resorts Panel on Sunday! Can't wait to find out about the smaller panels.

4. PinTraderSam

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Last D23 my wife and I just attended the last day and was able to go to Alan Menken’s concert where he played songs from all the movies he’s composed which is every Disney movie ever.

5. summerskin

summerskin I control the weather

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Is it worth buying a Friday ticket or a Sunday ticket togo to MOG? I would offer a partial pickup here if it is. :)

6. PinTraderSam

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

If you want pins I think Friday is better because I don’t remember pins being released on Sunday last time, or I got there too late? I don’t really remember. But for things to do, there’s just so much to do every day there’ll be more than enough each day.

summerskin likes this.
  7. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    175   0   0

Pins seem to get released on Day 1 and Day 2. However, unless you are on the Sorcerer's Package it is REALLY hard to get in. As in, "you have to be willing to spend all night in line and hope that you are near enough the front of the non-Sorcerer line to make the cut." Last time, they had something called a StorePass, which once you get is like a Fastpass with a designated return time. You could choose between the D23 stores or MOG.

The most popular panels suffer from a similar problem. You can't see all of the big ones, because you have to be in line while something else you want to see is going on. They had something called a StagePass for some panels, but not the biggies in the main hall. Live-Action and Animation, especially, you will need to be prepared to wait hours. Parks, I think is a little less frenzied, but waiting may still conflict with something else.

I have not gone, but my friend says you basically have to choose: panels or merchandise. And she goes with panels. Merchandise takes too much time and they may be sold out of what you want even if you are lucky enough to get in. There are also strict purchase limits, so it's hard to do pickups. She's doing Sorcerer Package this year with another friend, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Also, it can take a long, long time just to get in the building. There were reports from people last year, who waited 3 hours. So if there is something early you want to see, you are going to need to be in line in the early morning hours.

8. summerskin

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

@PinTraderSam Do you know if there is a separate line for gold members versus not?

9. summerskin

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

@hopemax Well that would save me on hotels. Just fly down Thursday night and camp out overnight and then fly home Friday night.

LadyBarclay likes this.
  10. PinTraderSam

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Last D23 there was not but I know there were previous D23s and I know that was something people who had gold memberships were upset about so I can’t say what they’ll do this year.

summerskin likes this.
  11. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

What @hopemax said. The last time I went to D23 was in 2011, the year they introduced the tiered tickets, and for me, that was it. If you're interested, please feel free to PM me with questions about my experiences and I'll be more than happy to explain why I haven't chosen to return to another convention.

I have heard that they have since added the return passes for shopping and panels, but I can't speak to how well they work since I have no experience with them. I will agree that these passes sound like they have potential and admit to being intrigued by them, but not so much that I would consider going to D23 myself.

12. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    526   0   0

The last D23 I went to (2015), I tried getting those tiered passes. I was in the gold membership line, got inside shortly before 10 am, the passes were gone.

13. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0

Is there much pin trading at the Expo?

14. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jack

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

You are absolutely right. If going as a Sorcerer you can shop for all of the exclusives and see most panels. You also have the ability to wait inside the building for the next day’s entrance into the Expo. Not to mention, you will have access to the Expo a day early. This will allow Sorcerers an opportunity to pick up their RSP merchandise, do additional shopping, etc. MOG had framed pins available, but individual pins were not available until Friday.

If you do not hold the Sorcerer package then a choice must be made. Keep in mind that not all Sorcerers will Shop the merchandise. So, as stated here, if you are there early, you may have an opportunity for the limited pins, etc. The “time” passes were hard to come by. You will see lines of people camping out each night. Less for Sunday entry.

15. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jack

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

There was a small pin trading area. However, there was enough space if they wanted to expand it.

chubs191 likes this.
  16. chubs191

Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0

Sweet! I feel like I might have some down time to do some trading. I'm bringing a small book for Disneyland, and now I might bring another small one for all my traders from the expo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

17. PinTraderSam

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

When I went there was a Pinopolis section where a few people were situated for just trading. Not like an event full of people, maybe 5 small circle tables that seat about 4 people were full (if I remember correctly).

chubs191 likes this.
  18. timeerkat

timeerkat Your Friend Who Likes To Play

Rating - 100%
    301   0   0

This surprises me. I was under the impression that all the Sorcerer package holders got it specifically to get first dibs on merchandise.

19. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I think many do it for first dibs on panels

20. PinTraderSam

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

First dibs on everything. Panels, Merch, Meet and Greets and exclusive items only for them. You can experience most of everything with the package.

21. tiggeriffic

tiggeriffic DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

The whole thing sounds like a nightmare. I can't imagine wanting to attend this.

22. chubs191

Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0

Anyone wanna boo with us during the parks presentation if they announce all the IP "additions" to WDW?

bookhugger and SnoozyBluez like this.
  23. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

That pretty much sums up why I no longer go. The first year, 2009, was very straightforward and amazingly run - no special tickets, no tiered passes, etc. They had just one line, with an hour early admission for Gold membership, which was open to anyone who wanted to purchase it. I also remember that the events was over 4 days, not 3, and with the exception of the main hall events, most panels were offered multiple times throughout the convention - which meant that if you planned your day(s) carefully, you were able to get into and do almost everything you wanted without having to stress or queue excessively (the only notable exceptions being for the keynote events and shopping).

I went again in 2011, and with the advent of the tiered tickets (they hadn't introduced the passes yet), one day eliminated, and each panel only offered once ... chaos reigned and while I can only speak from my own experience, the event had to be a nightmare for anyone who didn't have a Sorcerer ticket. I had the Premier ticket (below the Sorcerer, still expensive, it since has been eliminated), which got me an RSP (for which I was eternally grateful) and access to the keynote. Unfortunately, that was the only event I could attend; by the time I got out of the keynote, the queues to all of the panels for the rest of the day were closed. Basically, if you had a Sorcerer ticket, you could attend whatever you wanted. Otherwise, you basically were limited to one panel per day - and how many times can a person walk around the convention floor, no matter how large it is?

After 2011, I was done. I had a wonderful time when I went, but the way it's run just doesn't make it worth dealing with the nightmare it has become. I can just watch the keynote panels online and if there's anything I really want, I can buy it online - and I don't have to sacrifice any sleep to do so.

tiggeriffic likes this.
  24. summerskin

Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

Husband said no to camping out over night. Just said pay the resale prices if you want any of the pins. I was hoping to get some at cost WDI traders but he's probably right as I have no guarantee of getting anything and not sure what exactly is going to be released. :(

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    slbrabham likes this.
  25. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0

This is my constant dilema, go through the time and hassle and travel to get what I want or pay resale prices...in the end, as I’m sure hubby has evaluated, if time is money, it costs more for the trouble than to just pay the resale, still hurst though...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk