• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

D23 in CA vs. Pin Event in FL

D23 in CA vs. Pin Event in FL

figment919

Super Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
169   0   0
The D23 convention in CA is August 9 - 11. I know that there has not been any dates announced yet for the FL Pin event, Disney after Dark. With Disney staff spread thin do you think the FL event might be pushed to September, as it used to be in the past, or later, or not moved from August at all?

My guess is the weekend of August 24th/25th. It's spaced out just far enough from D23 so people can recover and make it over to FL for the event. And it lines up in the rough date range of past events IIRC.

I was thinking they might move it back to September. It was September or many years but got moved to august when they expanded food and wine. But with it moved to Coronado, that’s no longer a factor.

My guess is the weekend of August 24th/25th. It's spaced out just far enough from D23 so people can recover and make it over to FL for the event. And it lines up in the rough date range of past events IIRC.
This Aug weekend would be my guess also. I don't think we will see September again. Getting people to Florida in Aug. Is probably one of their goals.

New-ish pin trader here. Are these events worth flying out for? I'm a DLR local and we don't get them here anymore.

The Florida ones? Some people think so, some don't. It's really subjective.
Me - you couldn't get me to go to Florida in summer. I'm a Spring or Fall/early Winter type traveler to WDW.

I'm all about the FL event. I love getting pins off the boards and have gotten some really great pins from it. The pins they sell are hit or miss depending on the year and you don't have to go to get them as people (myself included) often offer sales. In terms of trading with other guests, that was much more significant in prior years when the event was more days and the number of times at the boards was limited. With the changes last year, there was less in person trading. Still, there was plenty of it on check in day and also plenty of it the next day at least while standing on line. I don't think there is any event where you have as many people trading pins.

If you're a CA trader then the FL event offers a chance to trade with non-locals - although many CA locals go as well.

It's worth going if you want to make a trip to WDW to visit the parks with the event on the side.

If you're a CA trader then the FL event offers a chance to trade with non-locals - although many CA locals go as well.

It's worth going if you want to make a trip to WDW to visit the parks with the event on the side.
Thanks for the input! We already had a family week-long trip to WDW for the parks, but I just wondered if it would be worth going for 2-4 days, especially after D23.

The D23 convention in CA is August 9 - 11. I know that there has not been any dates announced yet for the FL Pin event, Disney after Dark. With Disney staff spread thin do you think the FL event might be pushed to September, as it used to be in the past, or later, or not moved from August at all?
Thank you for posting this.

I've been thinking about attending myself. Especially since I didn't get the expo tickets I was hoping for.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I do not live near Florida (New Mexico), so must travel to these events. I have a lot of frequent flyer miles, so the flight cost is nominal for me. But I do pay for the other travel expenses (hotel, food, gas, car).

That said...

I love these events. I consider these WDW events to be the main event. Last year Disney held the event in a resort hotel so no additional expense for park tickets was required. If they move the event back into the World Showcase (in Epcot) and create the need for park tickets again, this likely would make the WDW event a pass for me (it becomes hundreds of $$ more to attend). The only way the in Epcot event makes financial sense is to be a passholder at WDW. The trading with other guest is a blast (afer 10 years of trading I now enjoy this type of pin trading interaction) and the WDW boards are so much fun (I believe this event is the ONLY Disney pin trading event in the US with Disney boards.)

Regarding the event pins: Agree the event catalog is hit or miss, but there is usually at least a few pins of interest. If you like trading mystery box pins these events are also fun to attend. The event catalog usually has 1-3 mystery pin sets to chase.

Also chomping at the bit to get details and start planning for 2024's event. Theme announced at 2023 WDW event as:
"Disney After Dark"
Fingers crossed it is in a resort hotel again this year!

Promo handed out at 2023 event:
07315aca70ab09569c62a18baaec3305.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

I do not live near Florida (New Mexico), so must travel to these events. I have a lot of frequent flyer miles, so the flight cost is nominal for me. But I do pay for the other travel expenses (hotel, food, gas, car).

That said...

I love these events. I consider these WDW events to be the main event. Last year Disney held the event in a resort hotel so no additional expense for park tickets was required. If they move the event back into the World Showcase (in Epcot) and create the need for park tickets again, this likely would make the WDW event a pass for me (it becomes hundreds of $$ more to attend). The only way the in Epcot event makes financial sense is to be a passholder at WDW. The trading with other guest is a blast (afer 10 years of trading I now enjoy this type of pin trading interaction) and the WDW boards are so much fun (I believe this event is the ONLY Disney pin trading event in the US with Disney boards.)

Regarding the event pins: Agree the event catalog is hit or miss, but there is usually at least a few pins of interest. If you like trading mystery box pins these events are also fun to attend. The event catalog usually has 1-3 mystery pin sets to chase.

Also chomping at the bit to get details and start planning for 2024's event. Theme announced at 2023 WDW event as:
"Disney After Dark"
Fingers crossed it is in a resort hotel again this year!
Very much agree on the mystery sets. It’s pretty easy to trade for the whole set or specific ones you want during the event.

DSSH events also have board trading. But you never know if/when they will have an event.

Very much agree on the mystery sets. It’s pretty easy to trade for the whole set or specific ones you want during the event.

DSSH events also have board trading. But you never know if/when they will have an event.
Oh yes, totally forgot. DSSH boards are pretty nice too. :)

Of course I get a notification about cheap flights from LAX to MCO in late August after talking about this 😭. C'mon Disney release the dates plz
If its Southwest... they allow you to change your flights without $$ penalty (just pay difference in the fare). Could try an educated guess to book something now... Again, this only is Southwest. Legacy carriers are hit or miss on this (mostly miss). I don't know anything about Spirit or Jetblue.

Back