• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

delete post plz

Status
Not open for further replies.
When will the old site go away? I prefer the old site, and wish that it sticks around as long as possible :sad:

We are at this point continuing with the linked sites for several reasons, not the least of which is , changing over almost 100,000 pins doesnt go down overnight, also each day more are added to the database, and unlike before,memory quiz time, how many of us remember how long it sometimes took to get pics loaded to go with entries, and then what happend to entires never given pics? Kinda defeats the name pin PICs dont it?, So now we are trying to match pics to pin entries, and proofread entrys<lets face it we are all not prefect spellers> .
The expected end date for the old site is First quarter of 2014, however it may be left up longer if needed for any final crossovers.

Have the programmers fixed the "toggles" with TA being "off" or "auto"? I don't understand what they mean, and I'm not getting any new TAs under the "new" site. I do get and send TAs under the old site....
Also, why are all the TAs on the new site by PM and not email?? I've never been a fan of PM, b/c to me it's like an "extra layer", complicating communications. I've tried to send out a couple TAs and have found it cumbersome and much harder, not easier, than before...sigh. I'm one of those who wishes the old site would stay, but I know it won't. :-(
Thank you, Lucan444 for helping us having trouble making this transition...BTW we met briefly at the Epcot event, I believe. If not there, it was perhaps at D23 Expo...

Actually a great question, for three great reasons!!!

A> The old database needed a cleaning and refreshing, some pins in the system were duplicates, some where improperly labeled and classified, many were typoed or textually boo booed. however with the above mentioned 100000 entries, this is a daunting task for any small crew, and trust me the folks doing the editing work thier butts off to make sure your listings are accurate and discriptions are spot on, why? Cuz they are pin collectors too.....
B> MORE, MORE MORE,,,,,,
The old PP was a great database, in 2005, however in the last ten years we have done a ton of growing as a hobby and as a collectable in general, The NEW PP, wants to be more than a database, thats why they have the PP forum http://pintalk.yuku.com/directory
they have active links to OPDT, DIZPINS REFERENCE, and PP of course,, But the new PP is alot more than that,

ITs BIGGER PICTURES OF THE PINS, , it the ability to message members direcitly one to one, an ability the old site didnt have, No you dont get email notices<not yet> but we do have mailboxes to store and send from to each other, worldwide , regardless of what pinboard you hang on to chat and get your news from. Add to that that actually we now have a more comprehensive search engine, that does a wider and stronger search than the previous one, so as a whole function the system is upgraded!!
NO more? HOw about the PP Premium which wil benefit members by saving them on special merchandise that will be EXCLUSIVE THRU PINPICS, yup available no where else in the world and available to each and every PINPICS member, now is this still sounding like your Dads PINPICS?
yeah there is more, but Im making this point pretty well so far so,

C>Many of our younger users are excited because of the newer features like select viewing, Did you know you can not only view someones collection but specific pins in their collection as well, like only Alice in Wonderland or ONly LE 250, and our search engine will pop it right up !! Did you know we will be releasing tutorials on YOUTUBE to help as well as doing live demos at large pin trade meets?
We are trying to bring PP to the newer trader and make it fun and family like it was for all of us when we started, yes that will mean giving up some of what we know and felt comfy with, but it will also mean that we can add in all kinds of wonderous new things too,,,,,,

Hey dont think of it as OLD and NEW PINPICS, think of it as PP REFURBISHED!!!

Have the programmers fixed the "toggles" with TA being "off" or "auto"? I don't understand what they mean, and I'm not getting any new TAs under the "new" site. I do get and send TAs under the old site....

My problem is the opposite. My TA is set to off position, but I still do get trade requests. I even got a PM asking me to sell some pins- which was really annoying.

Hi Suzanne,
YEs we did meet at EPcot, orange hat ?
ok lets see I saw your earlier post so heres what im thinking,,,,
First we have a huge list for the programmers, but I swear they are working like one armed men in a butt kicking contest to get all of it done, think of what was wrong a few weeks ago, it is getting better but it will take some time, not soon enough for us all I know but it will. I believe that particualr bug was very high on his list and should be completed before thanksgiving.
Our TA do not go out as email as many IP were flagging us as spammers and rejecting our messages, while it doesnt sound like a big deal, as a site if you get rtagged enough for spam and you are inside the USA it could be very bad, so we went to the pm method to both encourage daily visits by our members to check if they have any trades, and to avoid any legal entanglements, but as we suggest trades should almost always include emails being exchanged,,,
The NEW TA system does take a tad getting used to , however it save on going down that sometimes huge list of boxes on the old site to decide whom you will and will not trade with, not to mention you are getting a visiual of the pin so that , at least for us guys, it is actually easier to see and correlate the trade, A fact i didnt think of till setting up some and realized I was able to see what pin I was offering for what pin much easier....esp than a line of text.... So i agree we all need to smile at the new tech, it wont hurt us or bite, it will take some time and patience to learn but IT IS WORTH IT!!!

ok basics.

Go to menu bar type in members name, go to drop down menu,highlight member , click

Engine will pull up all members with like names, IE, Tinker

TINKERBELLE, TINKERTOY,TINKERBOO, etch,

Click on members name you want, Tinkertoy, <name will be a link blue color>

This takes you to thier profile page, on the top you will see, OWNS< WANTS<TRADES
By clicking on any of these you will see what they have, but wait, like Ginsu theres more
IF you click the third tab<compare> you will be take to a screen that compares yours and theirs auto matically
Now the tabs on the top will tell you what you both own, what you have they want , and what they have you want, all at once,

And even more, if you click on the far lower search bar and type in what you want it will find ONLY those pins in their respective catagories, hows that for not your Dads pinpics!!

NO Basic membershp is completly free, you only need a valid email, and to be able to really want to have a great online, visual representation of your pins at a glance, not to mention global trading ability, better images and descriptions to use to compare your pins to, the latest in Pin news from around the Disney world, <I mean planet not WDW>

Recently I have tried to initiate a number of trades on PinPics (through the trade assistant) but I never seem to get replies.... at all ("yes", "no", "no thanks" or even "what the bleep are you thinking?"). I find this very sad, as I worked hard to find possible trade situations where the pins seemed (to me) to match well and be equal. Thoughts on the reasoning for this? Just bad luck? Are people not checking their inboxes?
And a second part to this, how long would you let a request go, before you feel it is safe to offer that pin to someone else for trade? Would you PM the person you offered first? (some of my requests are over a month old).
Thank you very much for helping me figure this whole thing out.

I KNOW this is not where to ask this, but why does my GREEN BAR SHOW NO ACTIVITY???? I post something several times a week at least!!! I don't start threads often, but I DO REPLY.
HELP and FIX PLEASE
THANK YOU

Hi there,

Ok lets try this in stages, Many new members and old alike are still using old cookies to send TA request from the old site, these are still showing in my own inbox via email, however the new site is also purging list of members no longer active, so until the word gets out and folks actually start to use the inbox TA, yes Im afraid that some of the TA are falling on deaf ears, I know your pain as just last week I sent out about 50 TA and got no replies, however, the system is going to go to a much bigger realm really shortly<see next entry by me for promised suprise news> so I think now would be a perfect time to relax and learn the system, get used to the little tricks the new engine will allow, the traders are already coming back and each day more and more will see that this is a BETTER PINPICS.

Now as for wait times on pins offered, I tend to be optimistic and usually will allow 7 to 10 days, if a member hasnt checked in that time, the odds are they are either busy or just wont respond. Please remember that the members are always encouraged to reply even if negative to the trade offer, however it cannot be forced to any participant to reply...But my general rule is if your on the hunt, you wouldnt pass by a watering hole like PP in less than a week, how serious of a hunter are you?

I hope this helps?

OK I promised a really cool freakin new thing from PINPICS,

That insta compare pins button, that we all know and love from the "old " pinpics site,????

YOu know the one??

YEsss that one,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The programmers have been asked to reinstate that , so soon you will have an even easier way to compare and trade !!!

We have heard for months from Traders that this one feature is one of the most beloved and utilized bits from the old site,

and we <contrary to some opinion,> do care about what our users want and need, after all we are trying to make PINPICS a user friendly place, so

so we are workin to bring it back!!

Hi Lucan, This is helpful to assist us through the learning process. Three more questions, 1) Is there the possibility of showing more pins/per each page display? and 2) Is there a place to find how many pins are in our collections; when a member's collection is shown, there are pages, however, is there an exact pin count? Finally How can we best 'search' for a pin when we need to find the PP number. Currently, the results for either a gallery search or a search of a members collection seems to bring a very large number of unrelated pins. Thanks very much!

I get how to use it. I have used it. I understand all the new features you say are so cool. I have sent, received, and accepted trades through it, searches, comparisons, etc. And I still think the old site is superior. The search function is superior. The groups functions are FAR FREAKIN SUPERIOR. The layout visually makes MUCH more sense. It's not tied in with another forum and their agenda. You don't have to choose a ton of drop downs for searching purposes, it's all in check boxes. You don't have to go the website every single day you can just check your email which you already do. It's pretty obvious they just want to drive more traffic to their site. Which is fine, that generates advertising and therefore pays you for hosting the service. But that's not "better" in my opinion.

DPF should get back to doing giveaways. The premium membership isn't that insanely amazing just because it has pins at cost contests. Currently it may be nice with few premium members so the odds are good, but if more and more sign up then the odds will go down and does the extra services offered really justify the price? I don't think so. Maybe for very new traders it will help identify fair trades easier? But for the novices and veterans, who are probably the most active in the database already know values. I partially blame PinPics and their premature roll-out of an ill-conceived website for the lull in pin trading today. People are turned off to the new site because it has so many issues. You guys are losing people to Facebook groups. Obviously DLR removing tables and constant mail fraud deters people also, but the new site is not helping. People are frustrated and it doesn't work. No matter how much "Official answering" you do I don't see it miraculously getting better or fixed or more people using it right away. Maybe you can help them navigate the new website better but I think their opinion will eventually be similar to mine. The old site was better.

Since I don't really have a real question I'll offer some suggestions.
1. Figure out a way to incorporate groups again. Even if we have to put #ElCapitanMarquee in the description, so we can search for that, figure out a way.
2. Offer the choice to receive email trade requests or PM trade requests. If you are worried about site traffic, maybe make that an offer for the premium service so people who chose email are paying.
3. Fix the search function, you know it has issues, lesbehonest
4. Do whatever it takes to get new pins added quicker. It takes days or sometimes weeks for a new pin to be added on the new site. For those of us that TRADE our pins and not SELL them, it is imparative we get the ability to trade them early. We all know pins spike in the first few days and then fall off as the eBay sellers lower their prices. So the first few days you can get a better trade, but now we have to wait days. And even then it seems far fewer are using PinPics for trading. If they can't try to trade for a pin because it isn't even listed they may resort to buying which just gives the resellers more.
5. Make all the basic info about a pin that was free on the old site be available and free on the new site.
6. Move the "Trade/Want" numbers closer to the picture. Why do I have to scroll down to see the most vital data of a pin? It should be at or near the top.
7. I thought we were going to be able to offer multi-trades? So I chose 3 of my pins and offer those 3 for one of theirs?
8. Stop deleting/blocking people just because you don't like them. That is not how to do business.
9. It would be nice to see the popular page show pins that are trending, like the most page views today, this week, this month per pin. Not just the most "wanted" by people. Tangled will be on that page forever. That would be a cool feature so newer traders could see just how many people are looking at a pin. You should try to chart activity by page view on all pins on their page so people could see interest. If a pin hasn't been even looked at in 2 years, it's probably not that popular. If it has 200 hits in the last week, probably better.
10. Remember that the vast majority of the data was supplied by users, not the owners. You may have purchased the site but that data took a lot of hard work and time and effort from people all over. Don't just take it all for granted.
11. Last one, stop trying to spin that everything is better. Clearly it is not. If you made a mistake, just say you did. Own it, and say you're open to suggestions about how to fix it. Survey users and ask what they want. Don't just shove down their throats a half baked idea, poorly execute it, and then try to charge money for it.

With that, I'm done.

Last edited:
So I think I may understand what is going on, but did you see the thread about a bunch of us not getting messages on the new site?
Here --> http://disneypinforum.com/showthread.php?41357-New-Pinpics-messages

A little background, we would receive emails saying we had a trade request, but there would be nothing listed on pinpics when we got there.
Now, from what I've read in your posts, these requests were probably sent from the old site, seeing as the new site would use the PM system instead... Is this correct?

Also, when we send a private message on the new pinpics we get sent to a blank white screen with no confirmation of our message being sent. (I have been told that some have confirmed that their pms are definitely not going through) Can you tell me what is going on with that and why this may be happening?

Thanks so much for all your useful advice!

Hi Tiny,

Ok yes we are working on increasing the number of pins per page, currently that is not a user adjustable function, but we would like it to be,< this is another thing we have heard from the users that we are seeking to change?>
Currently there is not a collection total page or count listed anywhere, however this too is something we have heard from many a member and are seeking to implement as soon as possible. <most likely before new year>

When searching for a pin , try using specifics, or my personal favorite, use the year, since every pin or at least a humongous number have a year stamped in the OPDT<official Disney Pin Trading> box, imagine that is a copyright year, when searching try using normal criteria, ie , character, any features like glitter or dangles, and the year of the pin, unless you are searching for a uber popular character that year, you should wind up with the pin you are searching for on the first page,,, Drop me a pm and let me know how that works for you!!

Mark ,
As always you bring up some intresting points, thank you for your input!! i am glad to know that an experienced and veteran trader is using the site without major incident, and thank you again for your contributions I will bring these questions to our staff and endevour to get you some answers...

When will the new site have a better search feature as you can search for a pin with very specific criteria i.e. could put same description in on the old site and it would appear with very few results yet the new site gives you SO many unrelated pins that should not be there and are only there because you put *stitch* with other criteria in the search box.

Also where (or when if not already there) can you set the search results to show old to new rather than new to old or the other option thats there (I forgot)

The new site looks good but until the search system is like how the old site is then I will continue to use the old site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back