• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Did I get a fake pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I get a fake pin?

YAY3!

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
94   0   2
Recently did a trade through pin pics for the UP! Beloved tales. When I got it I noticed it had a slight dip on the front and a border on the back.. Here are pics of the pin- should I contact the person I traded with?

2v1ufdx.jpg

280i43p.jpg

Borders are common on DSSH pins. But I don't have any BTs to help compare. But I haven't seen them a lot on the infamous bidding site, which is usually a cue of a scrap. Here's hoping you got a real one! <3

~Merlin

Thanks everyone for your replies.. I was worried because I of course sent high value pins to get this. Guess it's just lower quality than I expected, but I asked the person and they said it was from someone who got it directly. The did come on a card and in the plastic.

If it makes you feel better, I bought a pin at DSSH (a marquee) and on the back
the gold metal was bubbled. Unfortunately, I did not check it until I got home.
:( So much for quality control.

Last edited:
There are UP scrappers/counterfeits for the Beloved Tales series. I know someone (Pin-A-Colada) told me the difference between the real and the fake and it has to do with Russell's teeth?

OK, I checked with MASTER (also an UP collector) and he said it has to do with Russell's sash.

On the fake one, the sash is all gold.

On the real one, the sash has colors on it (colored circles) that represent the badges he earned.

I will get my UP BT and photograph it. I got mine from Mahrii a while ago, when she was getting out of BTs.

That one looks fake to me. With the sash looking wrong to me. Now I have never held this pin in my hand but have seen many pictures it just looks off to me.

I've searched and searched but can't find it. Someone awhile back posted a real/fake comparison pic of this pin... I'll keep looking.

Last edited:
OK, well mine is actually a scrapper. I haven't looked at it in 3 years, since I got it, but yup, mine is a scrapper since it's missing the enamel for the badges.

I think the sash is supposed to be all gold. If I remember from the pic I saw the easiest differences to spot were the green color around the balloons and Carl's eyebrows/eyes. I wouldn't call yours as a fake just yet.

Are you sure the all gold on russel isn't the real one? The one on pin pics looks all gold.

I will check to see what other people have. Mine came from a trusted DPF'er who bought it from one of the regulars she bought things from DSSH (and I got it in March 2013).

I checked PTDB and the one there also has all gold sash and the person who provided the picture (rik) gets his directly from DSSH.

Hmm....

I will check to see what other people have. Mine came from a trusted DPF'er who bought it from one of the regulars she bought things from DSSH (and I got it in March 2013).

I checked PTDB and the one there also has all gold sash and the person who provided the picture (rik) gets his directly from DSSH.

Hmm....
the person I traded from said he got it from someone who Got it from DSSH too, so maybe I'm okay after all

I read that it had to do with Carl's glasses' frames... That they weren't colored in all the way or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back