Disney Auction Masterpiece Characteristics Compilation

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by Bricklayer, May 28, 2011.

1. Bricklayer

Bricklayer Administrator DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    200   0   0

As some of you may know, DA masterpieces have always been the subject of possible counterfeit activity. Perhaps we can help each other with some data from Masterpiece owners!

The purpose of this thread is to simply gather data for each and every DA Masterpiece, in order to decipher how an authentic or counterfeit Masterpiece should look based on their physical characteristics/properties. For the control group, we will use my own Masterpieces first, then expand upon that.

Here is the all-star lineup!

[​IMG]: Series 1[​IMG]: Series 2[​IMG]: Series 3[​IMG]: Series 4[​IMG]: Series 5

Based upon observation from at least 1 pin from every series, I noticed 3 different gavel patterns from my own Masterpieces:

Pattern 1 ([pinpics]25893[/pinpics] is used in this example): very small gavel patterns, wavy alignment from left-to-right/right-to-left, straight alignment going upwards/downwards
    [​IMG]

Pattern 2([pinpics]35652[/pinpics] is used in this example): medium-sized gavel patterns, more spread out than Pattern 1, straight alignment in all directions
    [​IMG]

Pattern 3([pinpics]45985[/pinpics] is used in this example): medium-sized gavel patterns, more spread out than Pattern 1, slightly wavy pattern from left-to-right/right-to-left, straight alignment going upwards/downwards
    [​IMG]

Here are my findings, based on 18 Masterpieces I own. I do own at least one in every series:

Series 1:
    Pattern: 1
    Hologram Present: No
    Notes:
    -Based on past published photos e-mailed directly from China, [pinpics]25545[/pinpics] and [pinpics]25890[/pinpics] have been counterfeited

Series 2:
    Pattern: 2
    Notes:
    -[pinpics]27839[/pinpics] has known counterfeits - an indicator is a chunk of enamel in the sky near the left mountain that is the same color (black) as the mountain
    -Based on past published photos e-mailed directly from China, [pinpics]27860[/pinpics] has been counterfeited

Series 3:
    Notes:
    -Based on past published photos e-mailed directly from China, [pinpics]35650[/pinpics] and [pinpics]35653[/pinpics] have been counterfeited

Series 4:
    Hologram Present: Yes
    Notes:

Series 5:
    Pattern: 3
    Hologram Present: Yes
    Notes:

Now, does anyone who own Masterpieces find inconsistencies and differences from what I reported? As long as people submit their findings, I will keep updating this first post and add on any additional information to the notes sections. Our goal is to find consistencies and inconsistencies. With our limited resources, we may not come to absolute conclusions, but I feel any data is better than no data at all. I encourage those who are ABSOLUTELY sure that they have original Masterpieces purchased by themselves, to come forward and submit their findings.

Personally, while I believe that EVERY pin has the potential to be counterfeited, I believe that it would be unlikely that Series 4 and 5 Masterpiece pins would be counterfeited because they are the only sets out of the 5 that should have holograms.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  2. RaChEltheRabidRabbit

RaChEltheRabidRabbit BANNED

Rating - 100%
    135   0   0

Comparisons of Pin 27839: Disney Auctions - Masterpiece Series #2 (Tinker Bell)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Authentic (On Left, Top) VS. Counterfeit (On Right, Bottom)

Notable Differences -

1.) Tinker Bell is larger in the Counterfeit.

2.) The outer rings of the Stars on the Counterfeit are a lighter yellow than the yellow inside the stars.

3.) A wave in the ocean at the bottom right closest to the mountain has a dip in the Counterfeit.

3. john gibson

john gibson Member

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I can't stand the fact that there are fake versions of these pins.

4. Tr8dWitMe

Tr8dWitMe Member

Rating - 85.7%
    10   2   2

Please keep this thread as an information listing. If everyone states "how can....", "I wish they didn't....", and so on there will be pages of everyone stating the same thing as other information threads have been lately. Also no, is mine fake?

Only members with the pins in question, please contribute your findings.

I thank you in advance.

5. Snoudel

Snoudel Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

To whom it may concern:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seller swore that he bought this from Disney Auctions himself.

6. VillainQueen

VillainQueen New Member

0   0   0

Snoudel - I purchased the Goofy Masterpiece pin directly from Disney Auctions. The back of my pin exactly matches your pictures.

7. Romancing_Train

Romancing_Train EVERYPONY calm the buck down!

Rating - 100%
    172   0   0

I recently got the Boating Ducks pin from group one and was thinking about Auctioning it off here, but when I saw this thread I got kind of scared. Mine has the same gavel type as in the type 1 picture, the smaller ones, but nothing else seems to be wrong with it.

Does anyone know if these have a special type of paint or anything else? Mine is really pretty and has that nice finish and gloss...I guess I'm just worried is all.

8. tyleet87

tyleet87 Curiouser & Curiouser... DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    220   0   0

Do you know if there are any others rumored to be scrappers? I would like to know which ones are safe. :)

9. Spectromen

Spectromen Member

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I just got DA #32367 and I highly suspect it's fake :( It IS on original card, but who's to say it's not just any DA card? The enamel has major dips throughout it and, while pretty, it sure stands out. The bottom edge looks tarnished which could very well have happened over time from the elements, but it doesn't clean up, like it's part of the original metal.

10. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    527   0   0

11. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    527   0   0

bumping this up because the pictures came back!

coblj003 likes this.
  12. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0

Here's some ones that were posted on FB today. Notice how all of the backs are the same backstamp and the wrong colors. This is a sad day for pintrading.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    527   0   0

Dang it, so those got scrapped too?!

@hopemax might be able to shed some light since I remember she kept track!

BTW, peeps, save the pictures from @Bricklayer 's post! Just in case PB removes them again :p

14. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

Unfortunately, the Masterpieces were part of my "dark time" and they were "above my pay grade." I was collecting, but not really following forums. I knew of the ones from the Dizpins page, but not specifics other than the Tinker Bell / Starry Night one.

15. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

However, the first Stitch pin, I found this thread from 2011. Looks like there was some volume selling from a bad seller.

16. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

What do the correct backstamps look like/say?

I have an LE500 DA pin that says www.disneyauctions.com on the back. It is a 2004 release and does not have a hologram, or even a space for a hologram. When did those come into effect?

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

17. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    89   0   0

The hardest part about DA pins is that the backstamps were not very consistent. Sometimes the gavels were large, sometimes
    they were small. If there was going to be a hologram, it was usually on an LE100, but not always. I have a few higher LE pins
    with halograms. Then they just kinda stopped using the holograms near the end (or it seemed like it).

18. TinyTink

TinyTink Africa-The Real Animal Kingdom DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hi there - have been around a long long time and can share some differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chubs191 likes this.
  19. TinyTink

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Stitch has thin gold edging.
    Girl reading has slightly different coloring.

Both pins have hologram backs.

Hopefully helpful!

chubs191 likes this.
  20. Disneychildwithin

Disneychildwithin No Disney Character Left Behind Proclaimer

Rating - 100%
    99   0   0

Terrible to say but if I see a fake of that BaTB for cheap I'd totally get it, it's so beautiful.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

starry_solo likes this.
  21. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

Thanks, can you take pictures of the backs? Or anyone. I know @starry_solo or @jadeites-lady (not sure which of you gets to actually call it "mine.") owns the BatB one

I'm glad to see that the Beast isn't supposed to have Bubble Gum colored lips. At least it look like an easy "tell." Belle's nose and mouth look pretty bad on the bad pin too.

I'm also going to tag @erudolf just to see if she can provide any insights on the Stitch pins, but I don't think her check-ins are frequent.

chubs191 likes this.
  22. TinyTink

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Good idea - if Erica sees this, I hope to see her in a couple weeks in NJ at STYD!

Below are front/Back of Stitch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. TinyTink

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Front/Back of BatB, Girl Reading

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. TinyTink

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

And here is the other Stitch front/back

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    527   0   0

Sis & I own it jointly, although really, it is hers since the BATB collection is hers. I got it from @Jabberwocky 4 years ago and have regretted not buying more when I saw some come up over the past few years (at like $300-500)...but now that I know that there are scrappers, maybe I shouldn't regret not buying more, lol.

I kept the pictures that she sent via email, so here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll take better pictures when I get home.

Also, if you can believe it, it's still not in a bag; there was no space in sis' BATB bag so we didn't get a chance to put it in there. It's in a small box with other grail-type pins, waiting for us to decide whether to put pins into a "grail" bag or what....