• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

QUESTION Disney Pinnacle, anyone?

QUESTION Disney Pinnacle, anyone?

Bricklayer

Administrator
Staff member
DPF Administrator
Rating - 100%
200   0   0
hey all! i was wondering if any of you have heard of or signed up for Disney Pinnacle? In a nutshell, disney pinnacle is a digital collectibles platform currently available on iOS (android coming soon), featuring digital versions our favorite Disney pins.

They have weekly drops - open edition, and LE pins. the project was created by Dapper Labs, who also created NBA TopShot digital collectibles.

i know digital collectibles aren't for everyone (and for some people, doesn't make any sense haha), but I just wanted to get the word out, in case anyone is interested. Having spent a few weeks on the platform, here are some of my random blurbs about the project, so far:

• open editions are reasonably priced - $6.95. LE 300-ish digital pins are $49.95(!)
  • there is currently no buy/sell/trade marketplace, but it is confirmed there will be one in the near future
  • some of the released pins are traced artwork from physical pins - this is somewhat of an issue for me
  • there is no promised utility for these digital collectibles yet; but there is much speculation (and demand) from the pinnacle community that there would be (in-park, etc)
  • you can show off your purchased digital pins with a digital pinbook that is visible to other platform users
  • there are two ways to purchase pins - Mystery Box style (you will receive one of four different rarities for a single pin), or Revolving Storefront: every four hours, a random assortment (all rarities are fair game) of pins will be available to purchase. a dropped pin set is on sale for three weeks (usually 2-3 different sets available at a time), then rotated out for another set of pins - they have already dropped SW, disney, and pixar characters
i'll hang around the platform for awhile to see where it goes. i don't think it'll ever replace our precious shinies, but I don't think that's intent of Pinnacle, anyways. - like what VeVe is doing with digital comics and collectibles, it's just a new, alternate way to collect.

do what you will with this information :) i'll leave an official pinnacle 101 guide here if you wish to find out more about the project:

Disney Pinnacle 101

Important note: Unfortunately, there have been phishing e-mail scams sent to some users who have signed up. Most of these phishing e-mails will have a "Mint Now" button, offering you to claim a free pin. Please do not click anything in these e-mails.

Last edited:
I signed up for the emails and app. Haven’t purchased anything as of yet but the idea intrigues me.
Same; I signed up and have taken a look around -- pretty cool idea.

I think it's an alternative way to collect, and, if trading is something that's coming, is an alternative to physical pin collecting and trading for those that may not live near parks, or don't trade via mail.

Some of the artwork is fun, and you can "interact" with them by viewing them in 3D, along with displaying them on a board for others to see.

5F410E52-ADE3-4798-8483-67C262EB3CD3_1_105_c.jpeg
D6C1A493-F624-4AD9-9DF1-157FCF2A2C35_1_105_c.jpeg

Same; I signed up and have taken a look around -- pretty cool idea.

I think it's an alternative way to collect, and, if trading is something that's coming, is an alternative to physical pin collecting and trading for those that may not live near parks, or don't trade via mail.

Some of the artwork is fun, and you can "interact" with them by viewing them in 3D, along with displaying them on a board for others to see.

View attachment 17166
View attachment 17167
Some of the villains sets have been amazing! I don’t quite seeing this as being as big as physical pin trading but im anxious to know how the trading will work on the app! Maybe that will finally push me to buy a few of the mysteries 🤣

Some of the villains sets have been amazing! I don’t quite seeing this as being as big as physical pin trading but im anxious to know how the trading will work on the app! Maybe that will finally push me to buy a few of the mysteries 🤣
Yes, I've already bought a few of the $6.95 open edition mystery boxes (or capsules, as they call them), but I just can't bring myself to pay $49.95 for their limited edition pins :p perhaps once they introduce a proper roadmap detailing the project's future plans, then I will consider making more purchases. pinnacle is still in early access phase, so patience is warranted here.

Have fun with the app and keep reporting back on whether you're enjoying.

My main issue: it doesn't matter how little/much I'm spending in the app, I'm still spending money on a virtual item. That's money that I could spend on a real, tangible pin ... or save it and put it towards a more expensive pin that I've been unable to trade for. Or towards a trip to Disney. Or a cruise. Or ...

Have fun with the app and keep reporting back on whether you're enjoying.

My main issue: it doesn't matter how little/much I'm spending in the app, I'm still spending money on a virtual item. That's money that I could spend on a real, tangible pin ... or save it and put it towards a more expensive pin that I've been unable to trade for. Or towards a trip to Disney. Or a cruise. Or ...
i used to play Magic the Gathering online decades ago -- one thing that they did was, if you collected an entire set, you could redeem the virtual cards for a full set of physical cards of that set, but only if you collected the entire set (you couldnt redeem singles or anything)

this encouraged trading (or buying) the cards you were missing, to complete the set if you wanted the physical cards. Which sometimes ended up being cheaper to acquire than just going physical in the first place.

if Pinnacle can do something similar and create physical versions of these pins — at least the LE ones — (so it's a known cost to produce, as opposed to OE pins) and only redeem them if a person collects the entire set, it would encourage trading/collecting, and give people a reason to do so.

the virtual versions of the pins would either need to be "burned" to remove them from circulation once they've been redeemed, or that item would carry some metadata that would flag it as having been redeemed and no longer redeemable for a physical pin.

So these aren't actual pins? They're just digital art that look like pins, basically?
yes, they are digital versions of disney pins. each pin is unique, as they are backed and minted via blockchain technology. unique mint numbers, etc. are assigned to every pin released on Pinnacle. you have digital ownership over each digital pin, if that makes sense. maybe Cicada can word it better than I can haha.

yes, they are digital versions of disney pins. each pin is unique, as they are backed and minted via blockchain technology. unique mint numbers, etc. are assigned to every pin released on Pinnacle. you have digital ownership over each digital pin, if that makes sense. maybe Cicada can word it better than I can haha.
If you can't hold it in your hand and get a pinjury from a pointy metal back, it's not a pin. ;)

This is therefore just artwork that anyone can copy and "own". Silly.

If you can't hold it in your hand and get a pinjury from a pointy metal back, it's not a pin. ;)

This is therefore just artwork that anyone can copy and "own". Silly.
I don't really have a horse in this race as I have only experimented with digital collectibles and am still on the fence, but some thoughts....

as alluded to in this post, if physical pins of non-OE sets can be redeemed, it could bridge the gap and create a phygital experience by encouraging trading/chasing/completing sets, with the option to redeem it for a physical set once completed. Once a set is redeemed, it would get "tagged" as having been redeemed, preserving the integrity of the edition size.

LE sets would represent a known cost on the business end. They only need to make so many. They could be individually numbered/stamped/engraved/whatever that would pair them with the digital version to combat counterfeiting. Once redeemed from their digital counterpart(s), then it's fair game on the secondary "physical" pin trading market.

I know physical is not the game they're in, but it's a thought, especially since many are still on the fence (or even opposed to) digital collectibles.

One other thing that blockchain collectibles solves, that's often an issue in physical art, is provenance — the digital signatures create a verifiable chain of custody of a specific instance of an item, so as it's traded, you can trace the ownership all the way back to its creation — now, this doesn't solve the issue of the physical changing of hands in my hypothetical scenario of a "phygital" redemption experience, but at least as it changes hands in the digital space, one could trace its ownership until it crosses the threshold, and would at least have some trace for point(s) of contact if one is wondering about one of these pins' authenticity.

the LE "pins" do feel pretty expensive for what amounts to a blind box/mystery experience.

I don't really have a horse in this race as I have only experimented with digital collectibles and am still on the fence, but some thoughts....

as alluded to in this post, if physical pins of non-OE sets can be redeemed, it could bridge the gap and create a phygital experience by encouraging trading/chasing/completing sets, with the option to redeem it for a physical set once completed. Once a set is redeemed, it would get "tagged" as having been redeemed, preserving the integrity of the edition size.

LE sets would represent a known cost on the business end. They only need to make so many. They could be individually numbered/stamped/engraved/whatever that would pair them with the digital version to combat counterfeiting. Once redeemed from their digital counterpart(s), then it's fair game on the secondary "physical" pin trading market.

I know physical is not the game they're in, but it's a thought, especially since many are still on the fence (or even opposed to) digital collectibles.

One other thing that blockchain collectibles solves, that's often an issue in physical art, is provenance — the digital signatures create a verifiable chain of custody of a specific instance of an item, so as it's traded, you can trace the ownership all the way back to its creation — now, this doesn't solve the issue of the physical changing of hands in my hypothetical scenario of a "phygital" redemption experience, but at least as it changes hands in the digital space, one could trace its ownership until it crosses the threshold, and would at least have some trace for point(s) of contact if one is wondering about one of these pins' authenticity.
Yeah, count me on the team of "it's ridiculous to pay for a picture that anyone else can make a copy of". ;)

But whatever floats your boat. It's your money. ;) I waste mine in my own way. :p

Back