Disney Store Limited Edition Dolls - 12" and Designer - 2019

Discussion in 'Other Disney Collectibles' started by starry_solo, Dec 12, 2018.

1. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    527   0   0

None. Probably won't see any until the Sorcerers get to shop the day before the expo opens.

2. PrincessAurora13

PrincessAurora13 Once Upon a Dream

0   0   0

Ugh, darn it, Disney! I both love and hate this company simultaneously!!!

Also, having two dolls featured should not justify a price jump. That didn't happen during any of the other times we've seen two dolls for the Designer line. It's always been between 100-130 USD.

3. Ghostheartspirit

Ghostheartspirit New Member

0   0   0

This was leaked on facebook and instragram. [​IMG]

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

MischiefMade and Meritre like this.
  4. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

I definitely don't do dolls but the esmeralda art is gorgeous!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. lordofanime

lordofanime Active Member

0   0   0

Hello everyone!

I took a very long break (almost 2-3 years I think) from posting on this forum, mainly because I felt a bit too guilty constantly being negative on newer designs... I almost came back last year when we actually saw what the Designer Dolls looked like, and I choose not to... But honestly, after the leaked Ariel D23 doll and now these, I couldn't stop myself, and I just had to come here and lay down my thoughts. I really wanted to discuss the designs of these dolls, and I would really like to hear everyone's thoughts on them, you don't have to agree with me, but Im genuinely interesting to see how these are received. So please bear with me :)

There's been a recent trend with the DisneyStore dolls to use up similar design concepts, simpler and more standard embroidery detail, and use up every possibility to use hot-stamping foil instead of actually embroidering some of the details... And last year, things were shaping up with a very exciting designer collection, but ultimately, most of the dolls did not reflect what the designers had dreamt up (Belle... oooo Belle...).

This year, everyone was happy, we were finally getting new characters and an interesting theme! But now that the designs are out... I can see the same issues highlighted above.

The whole blurb was that they focused on intricate masquerade masks, but these seem very similar, and very lacking in character customization.

Meg: Perhaps, the best "new" design, heavily supported by the toga themed dress. My only comment is that she has the same lining at the hem as every other disney doll. One line of embroidered detail in a single line.. this is cheapening the toga look in my opinion.

Rapunzel: yeesh.. Someone on Instagram referred to it as Hermoine's dress from Goblet of Fire.. And they are so right. The flower detail on the top is nice, but will it look the lettuce on Tiana last year? The bodice is empty, so no comment here. The skirt is so reminiscent of Tiana's design from last year, I wonder if it was a sketch that was done for last year's collection, just look at the squiggly embroidery placeholder and the flower attachments, its practically the same concept as Tiana. I need to see the actual doll to properly judge this. Also, what's with the plain straight hair? Why doesn't disney experiment with Rapunzel's hair in these designer dolls?

Cinderella: She's got the same hair from the Fairytale collection. The dress looks a lot like Grace Kelly's dress from To Catch A Thief. The bow ends is very reminiscent of the 17" Mulan and Pocahontas dolls. I wonder if it'll actually be foil stamped or if they will embroider it , I guess if they go with velvet material, they'll have to embroider it.

Esmeralda: Her dress just looks like Rapunzel's.. The plain bodice, the pleated sleeves with ribbons at the end, the ruffled layers, and she also has the embroidery line hem which is heavily used by Disney now.

Belle: The black is an interesting choice, honestly, it'll only look elegant if they go with velvet. But I doubt they'll be able to pull off the giant rose, the lettuce sleeves will also be interesting to see, and Disney has not fared well with updoes on their 12" dolls, so let's see how they manage to do this one.

I thought this might be an opportunity for the designers to shake up the landscape and try new things, but honestly, these new designs are very lacking in creativity and seem more like cost-cutting designs.. It's a far cry from what we had initially with the first couple of designer collections.

starry_solo likes this.
  6. akarih

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Welcome back! I agree with you on some of these and I don't collect dolls so I wouldn't know much but I thought most of them looked gorgeous!

7. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    527   0   0

They seem to be missing some embroidery!

8. Awesomedude32456

Awesomedude32456 Tracking down unaffordable Disney merch

0   0   0

I’ve seen the dolls, some look better some look worse than the art. We should see them officially at D23. I personally think the best looking dolls are Belle and Esmeralda but that’s just me. Rapunzel is definitely my least favorite.

akarih likes this.
  9. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    527   0   0

I think Meg looks the best, followed by Esmeralda, then Belle. Agreed with Rapunzel. She reminds me of the not-so-great looking version from the Heroes vs. Villains (Rapunzel vs. Gothel)

10. lordofanime

0   0   0

Where's everyone seeing the dolls?!

11. akarih

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Yeah, I want pics!

12. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    527   0   0

People leak them over all forms of social media! You just have to know who to watch.

13. akarih

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

That would explain it lol, no FB or IG here.

14. Ghostheartspirit

Ghostheartspirit New Member

0   0   0

Which people are leaking photos of the dolls? Where on fb or Ig can I find them? Looked all over facebook and instragram, no luck except for the artwork.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

15. Awesomedude32456

0   0   0

The dolls are being shared through private messages, you won’t find them publicly anywhere. I personally think Meg looks super cheap but I’m sure she’ll look better in person.

16. Awesomedude32456

0   0   0

Someone posted Meg’s face on their insta story and took it down. I’m certain they’ll leak before D23. If not, D23 is next weekend lol.

17. PrincessAurora13

PrincessAurora13 Once Upon a Dream

0   0   0

Basing my initial opinions on the concept art. Won't make any decisions until I see the actual dolls.

Love Rapunzel and Meg. Belle's pretty. Esmerelda looks interesting, but hard to judge how that will look in person. Cinderella would be pretty if it wasn't for the super big and out of place bow.

18. Awesomedude32456

0   0   0

Since I can't share pics I'll do my best to describe them -

Meg: Literally looks exactly like the art. Her hair and face is spot on. Disappointed in her dress. The patterns on her skirt are printed on with rhinestones. Her mask is entirely gold chrome.

Esmeralda: subtle differences from the art. She's missing her crown; Her necklace is a gold chain/not a choker; She's missing most of the chains/beads around her waist. Her top has a gold pattern printed around her waist. She’s also missing the bangles along the edge of her middle layer. Other than that, she's just like the art. Her face is okay to me, reminds me of a teal eyed Pocahontas. Her mask is gold chrome with two red ribbons.

Belle: Haha Belle left me shook. I'll start with her hair. Her hair isn't in an updo, it's styled like the classic doll. Her top is all black, one sleeve is a normal gold sleeve and the other is a giant chrome gold plastic rose. She has black gloves. Her skirt is pretty much the art, lots of embroidery and rhinestones around the giant rose. Her mask is gold chrome with red ribbons.

Cinderella: Her hair looks like how the premiere doll should've looked last year. Her dress is the same silvery blue as the saks doll with similar form and embroidery. Her bow is much smaller than it appears in the art, lots of rhinestones and embroidery on that. The inside of the bow is covered in blue sequins. Her mask is chrome silver with blue ribbons.

Rapunzel: Hahahaha no words to describe her other than "napkin yule ball dress." A great comparison would be a dollar store knockoff of Hermione’s Yule ball dress. I guarantee nobody will want her. Her top is plain with the flower neckline and her basic sleeves. Her skirt has little embroidery, it has layers that are folded and literally look like - you guessed it - pink and purple napkins. Nothing in her hair, it's just down. Her mask is chrome gold with gold beads.

They all come in new boxes. The boxes resemble the LA 17" boxes but for 12" dolls. They all have slip covers as well. I believe they're $130 each. The doll with the best looking face/hair is definitely Meg, best outfit I would say is Belle.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Meritre likes this.
  19. lordofanime

0   0   0

Images of the dolls are now out on Instagram... And honestly, why am I not surprised that this is the worst designer collection so far.
    This year also saw the largest discrepancies between the dolls and the art.

They couldn't even place the masquerade masks on the princess faces... What a shame.

Also, Awesomedude, totally agree with Rapunzel. Napkins! They didn't even give her the ribbons on her sleeves.

20. Awesomedude32456

0   0   0

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yayyyyyy I can finally share lol.

Meritre likes this.
  21. Awesomedude32456

0   0   0

22. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins The Llama Lady (aka Alpaca Ann)

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

They look like Mattel/Hasbro dolls ...

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    shooting4ownhand likes this.
  23. shooting4ownhand

shooting4ownhand Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    71   0   0

Cinderella is my favorite and I don't collect her. My wallet is happy lol

24. Addicted to Alice Pins

Addicted to Alice Pins The Llama Lady (aka Alpaca Ann)

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

I actually like Cindy, too! I don't reallllyyyy collect her, but I might get her if these puppies sit around long enough to go on sale. Ha.

shooting4ownhand likes this.
  25. Koda Pup

Koda Pup Member

0   0   0

Not a doll person - I'm torn between thoughts of "wow these are really nice and it's great that they made Meg and Esmerelda" and "those monstrociries of uncanny valley are planning on world domination"

Meritre likes this.