Do Rapunzel Pins Get the Flynn Rider Treatment?

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by mybabykelly, Jun 19, 2020.

1. mybabykelly

mybabykelly DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    221   0   0

Now I’m not sure how often this happens with other princesses, where the artist/production just goes completely off script and creates an entirely different character/being. My favorite princess movie is hands down Tangled, and I love the scene where Flynn is offended by the artist’s rendition of him on the Wanted Poster...
    [​IMG]

Now I’ve loved Rapunzel since Day 1, and I used to help my little sister collect Tangled pins back in the day, but I will always remember the atrocities of some of the artwork and final productions of these pins. I don’t know how Disney even thought it was okay to release them because they look nothing like Punzie!!!

For reference, here is a “normal” pic of Rapunzel:
    [​IMG]

But nooooo, Disney can’t just keep her looking the same. They had to go and scar me with these horrific/unfortunate pins that look nothing like the Rapunzel we know and love!!!

Feast your eyes on these nightmares:

[​IMG]
    Robot Rapunzel... because you have to be a robot to endure the pain of pulling someone up by your hair...

[​IMG]
    Sleep Deprived Rapunzel... the bags say it all!

[​IMG]
    Anxious Rapunzel... she looks like she’s going to have a nervous breakdown from balancing her hair and that ice cream.

[​IMG]
    Cheeky Rapunzel... why is she stuffing cotton balls in her cheeks and swinging by her hair?!

[​IMG]
    Plastic Surgery Rapunzel... literally Punzie after going under the knife and moving to Beverly Hills. This looks NOTHING like her.

[​IMG]
    Robot 2.0 Rapunzel... why does she look soulless?

[​IMG]
    And then there’s this one... truly the Mona Lisa of the bunch. Big-Eyed Rapunzel. Her and the horses eyes are the exact same size, but at least the horse’s is proportionate to his massive body. They did Punzie wrong here and this one still haunts my dreams til this day.

Guys, this is what I stay up til 3:15 am on a work night thinking about... this staying at home gig is driving me bonkers!

Please feel free to share your wacky pins down below, and let me know if your favorite princess has gotten the Flynn Rider treatment before!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  2. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Oh my gosh I've seen this sooo often on pins! Punzie seems to get it the worst though...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mybabykelly likes this.
  3. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

LadyBarclay, bcol and mybabykelly like this.
  4. mybabykelly

Rating - 100%
    221   0   0

5. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0

Yes, those pins are reasons why no one should want to be a completist.

6. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

Yeah, I've noticed that, too! And what's really funny about the carousel reveal/conceal set is that all the other princesses were fine! Rapunzel was the only one that went completely off the rails!

mybabykelly likes this.
  7. mybabykelly

Rating - 100%
    221   0   0

Haha yesss! I looked up Jasmine from the set and she is relatively normal. Someone had a grudge against Rapunzel :p

[​IMG]

CCofRR13 likes this.
  8. mybabykelly

Rating - 100%
    221   0   0

Haha the carousel is the one you know completists hide at the back of their book like a dirty little secret!

momin.ator likes this.
  9. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Honestly, I'd just call this the princess treatment lol. Disney knows people will buy them regardless of art quality bc they're princesses, so they do... this. The only ones that seem to escape it are the less popular ones like Tiana or Merida. For the most part, at least.

akarih likes this.
  10. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0

I dunno, the profile’s angle makes her look like a Picasso portrait...

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.
  11. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

A good day to collect Tiana, though I've seen a couple questionable ones. The HM of her with the butterfly and the HM of her inside the flower both have really weird eyes.

12. Randakinskywalker

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

True! I don't think there was a soul that was spared in those two HM collections though lol! Most of Tia's pins are generally gorgeous though!

akarih likes this.
  13. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Agreed lol. 2010 and 2011 were a dark time for hidden mickeys apparently.

Randakinskywalker likes this.
  14. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    122   0   0

Oh my goodness! You called it perfectly. :)

15. cyke23

cyke23 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

thank you all for the good laugh at 1:00am disneyland time

CCofRR13 likes this.
  16. SplashMtRider23

SplashMtRider23 Active Member

0   0   0

Glad others agree with this topic. This is the only reason why I don't mainly collect Tangled/Rapunzel. I was surprised at first when I noticed this on most of the higher end pins. It's always the eyes. The Gold Frame and Cluster are off. At least the older marquee is fine. The newer marquee and character block is no good. For the d23 heroines and sidekicks, her face was just weird when I saw it up close. Too many other examples to name [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mybabykelly likes this.
  17. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    400   0   0

I always thought Rapunzel had some of the most hideous pins. I'm glad others agree.:D

18. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

I have the Belle gold frame, and I think the eyes look weird on it. I hid it deep in my collection. I have the Tiana but can’t remember about those eyes. I’ll need to look at it.

I agree her eyes on the cluster look like “crazy eyes.” I can’t tell if she’s been hypnotized or stunned at seeing Mother Gothel’s ghost.

SplashMtRider23 and mybabykelly like this.
  19. mybabykelly

Rating - 100%
    221   0   0

Yesss! I was going to list the cluster but forgot to. I had to get rid of my cluster because her eyes look wonky. Why is one pupil in the middle and one at the bottom of her eye? Once I realized it, I couldn’t unsee it and had to get rid of it.

SplashMtRider23 likes this.
  20. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

I agree 100%. Once you see something like that, then it’s all you see. I don’t want any of the DSSH people cuties because someone pointed out they don’t have noses. I think the animal and NBC ones are cute, but the people look weird to me.

SplashMtRider23 and mybabykelly like this.
  21. Daylily

Daylily New Member

0   0   0

I’m pretty sure this pin is suffering from a concussion.

SplashMtRider23, slbrabham and akarih like this.
  22. TangledUpInIce

TangledUpInIce New Member

0   0   0

I agree some of the Rapunzel art work is bad especially the carousel one. They also seem to mess her eyes up but I still love her and Flynn!

23. Randakinskywalker

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I think her cheek is supposed to be scrunched up from her smiling, but they didn't commit to that full line so it just looks misshapen. Even if that's the case, her smile is even and both cheeks should be scrunched up LOL. It's not like she has a lopsided smile in this pin. So it should have looked more like this:

[​IMG]
    vs this:

[​IMG]

The face is still whack in the top pin but even paying attention to the laws of facial muscle physics would have helped it a whole lot.

... this was fun and I think I'm gonna go to town fixing whack looking Disney pins.

mybabykelly and Daylily like this.
  24. mybabykelly

Rating - 100%
    221   0   0

Ooooh!!! See I could live with the top one, and your explanation makes sense (nice photoshop btw, mad skills!). But their execution was horrific :p