Fake or real?

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by desiphil, Apr 5, 2019.

1. desiphil

desiphil New Member

0   0   0

I'll spare you the long back story, but I'm convinced this is fake based on texture loss on package flaps, the font on back, the serial fading, finish inconsistencies on front. If not, it's just in really bad shape. Advertised as "New". The backer card serial does match the pin serial and the price/upc is accurate. But... I have nothing to compare it to, so need assistance. Does anyone have a real version?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

Hard to tell, sku matches what it should be - but there is an enamel mistake on the right present. That little corner I circled should be red, not green. Also, skin tone of hands should match face. So I would vote for fake. It also just overall looks a little rough.
    [​IMG]

3. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

I own this pin. Here are pictures of mine.

It was received from another trader, but I have no reason to think it isn't real. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

desiphil likes this.
  4. desiphil

desiphil New Member

0   0   0

Thank you for the replies. Based on what I'm seeing, mine has got to be a fake. Just cannot fathom why a counterfeiter would go through such extremes with packaging and making tags/serials match.

Have other fakes been discovered with the printed/etched serial number?

For those of you that own this, is the enamel on the green package completely smooth, or can you see waves, marks as shown in my 3rd photo above?

Kerri780 likes this.
  5. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

This pin is one that has been sold by the certain known unauthorized pin sellers with a location in either Hong Kong or China. I believe that in instances like these, where they have the packaging and such, they were done at the same time as Disney's official run. With the color errors, they either made them, and were rejected and then they had to remake them, leaving 300+ pins that should have been destroyed that got sold out the back door instead. Or someone in the factory knew they had a buyer, and so simply just made more..the so-called "overruns." So it's not that the pin is a "counterfeit." But it is unauthorized because there should only be the 300 officially sold (plus AP, PP) and not 300 officially and who knows how many that should have been destroyed/thrown out.

Kerri780 and desiphil like this.