• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Free Game For the Love of Animation

Free Game For the Love of Animation

Chusaurus

Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer -née Chubs191
Rating - 98.5%
64   1   0
So I found these adorable sketch books at a wholesale store the other day and I had an extra Thumper pin, so I'm giving away one pin and a limited edition Moleskine! It's open to those in the US and UK!

How to enter:
1. Share with us how animation and drawing has changed your life: whether it be as a child in school, through your children, your favorite animations growing up, or maybe you are an animator.

That's it! I'll pick my favorite story on 12/15 at 11:59 p.m. and pm you the next day!

Prizes:
1 limited edition plain Mickey Mouse Moleskine!
1 Pin 3515 DCA - Disney Animation Series (Thumper)
mickey-mouse-limited-edition-notebook-pocket-plain-hard-cover-fullsize-1.jpg

pin3515

Wow, that is so cute!!! And so sweet of you. But I live in Sweden so I will enjoy the stories of others.

I can still share my story. Might be a little bit different. I don't draw by hand. I might be better that i 5 year old to draw but Im nowhere close all the artist here so my story is not about that.

My story starts with me loving to write stories as a teenager. My teacher told me he thought I should study to be an journalist. So In high school I choose to study in a program called Media. The first year we got to try everything, write, draw, photo, movie making, radio and graphics on the computer. After that year we were supposed to choose what to major in the second and third year. I thought I would choose writing but I fell in love with computer graphics so I choose that.
After those 2 years I choose to keep on studying and started an 2 year education of computer 3D animation. I got to go on several cool animation seminars and met some amazing animators from Disney, pixar and lucas art. Since I always loved Disney my biggest dream was to start working as a Disney animator. Of course that is not easy as a young girl living in Sweden. I made a few short movies. One was actually sent on tv on a program about youg girls who had unusual interests :) Then I got a job working on a computer game company and after that I worked with making 3D models for internet. Cars and mobil phones mostly. I also built a 3D chat world.
All this was a lot of years ago and now I work as a Marketing manager and Art director so its still computer graphics but not animation anymore.

Who knows if I had lived in USA maybe I could have followed my dream to be a Disney animator. Now Im happy with just enjoying amazing Disney movies, collect Disney stuff and going to parks as often as I can. Been to WDW 3 times now and hope to go there more times, and also get a chance to visit other parks in the world.

That was so sweet! Sounds like you followed the dream you made along the way!

This is one of my favorite videos about achieving your dreams:
[video=youtube;ji5_MqicxSo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo[/video]

Animation changed my life in crazy ways.

As long as I've been alive I've lived with my grandparents; Mimi and Papa. My mother was a horrible person and abused them both greatly, but my grandpa and grandma tried their best with me and my sisters. I had the most time with my grandpa then my siblings being the oldest, and he took me to every movie with a speck of fantasy and animation in it because he thought letting me see things like that would help me have a better imagination and grow up better, and while I know he loved them too, I know it was also to get me out of the house so I wouldn't have to see my mother the way she was.

Then it came to one movie, "The Lion King". I knew we'd see it together, and I was so excited! But my grandfather died before we got to see it, and my grandma withdrew inside herself for a very very long time.

Eventually I saw the movie, and the second one! I love the second one so much! But it was only fulled more by my first real friend Vanessa. She lived across the street and was a year or two younger than me. Her mom was like mine, and she was also raised by her grandma. But unlike us, her family had alot of money, so she had allllll of the lion king toys and i remember spending hours with her reciting the movies over and over and over. We knew them both by heart. Not long after we met, they moved away, her father was trying to get custody of her and I never saw her again.

I spent most of my time alone after that. I had sisters but one lived with her dad, and the other was in foster care since my grandma couldn't take care of all of us anymore. When my mom was a little less crazy we got my little sister back for a short period of time and then she got kidnapped for over 2 years.

She was a broken child when she came back but we bonded over the video games I played. Sonic and Spyro the Dragon, and one game in particular: Kingdom hearts.

It was at this time I was drawing and painting a lot, mostly to escape from the things we were going through, but we bonded a lot over that game and I tried to show her all the Disney movies as she got older.

And at some point, around 7th or 8th grade I started role playing kingdom hearts stories online, and drawing the characters people made up for them. And that's when I found the Lion King Fanart Archive. It's the world's largest fanart website for a single movie, and /i found tons of friends there. In the years after I learned as much as i could about animals and drew my heart out. It was my way of coping with the trouble at home.

When the second Kingdom Hearts game came out I loved it so much I decided I wanted to do that, make games. I could draw so why not?

But after high school I was afraid to leave my grandma alone. With my mother still around and being abusive to her I knew I could never leave. So I worked at the high school teaching 8 art classes a day as a volunteer. (The teacher was learning to be the principal so she was never there). And one day she had me chaperoned a class to a college 45 minutes away from home. I talked to teachers and stuff there, and I ended up in that college...

But because I was told I could be a concept artist there, and that was a lie. The next five years were insane.

I met my boyfriend, moved to San Francisco, moved back, went to several schools, and everything you can imagine.

But I did my best at becoming an artist, because in the end I just wanted to give people what I had experienced:

In every step of my life there was a good story I could bond with someone with, I wanted to make those moments for other people.

Eventually my mom broke into our house and was finally arrested, and in that time I was able to finish my animation degree with top honors in game art. I worked for disney and took an internship there, i met Don Bluth and I know Victoria Ying.

Animation shaped my life, it helped me met the love of my life and become who I am today.

Wow! This is so kind of you to do!

My story is kind of long one, spanning across almost 16 years, actually.

My dad is in the military, so family time is/was limited. Whenever we had time to go on vacation, we always went to Disney World. Like most kids, my siblings and I grew up watching Disney movies and Disney Channel/Playhouse Disney (or Disney Jr., now), and pretty much doing anything else related to it. When I was 3, we went to WDW for the first time, and needless to say, we were hooked. Now, we go to the park 1-3 times a year (yay!), depending on schedules. I've been drawing since I was a toddler, and Disney only helped to fuel the passion. As a kid, you don't really question the origin of movies, especially animation. After a few trips to Disney, I found out that Disney characters were not only created by other people, but were drawn by them. So, this helped me to continue to practice my artistic skills by drawing some of the people I was most interested in: Disney characters. Of course, when I found out that people were creating them, I wanted to be one of them, so, by the time I was in about 4th grade, I pretty much started planning out my life. I was a pretty proactive child. I drew more, read more, and studied more about animation and its associates. Moving helped me to find a lot of different and beautiful subject matter as well as differently skilled instructors. For example, in my high school career, I've taken Fundamental, Drawing, Painting, and General Arts classes, all of which have helped me to immensely improve. Also, just last week I went to an art symposium, which was probably the most fun I've ever had outside of Disney. The varying styles of different cultures also affect my artistic style through my exposure and understanding of them, adding more accuracy to my landscapes and portraits. Now, I'm still on the road to working for Disney. I still draw the characters, watch the movies, take classes, and study the techniques. I like to believe I've gotten a lot better since 4th grade. I hope to work in character development/conception, merchandise design, or working on new art for existing characters. I guess you could still say that I'm pretty aware of what I want to do with my life.
So, in short, I grew up with animation, like most others. However, I don't think animation has changed my life. I think it's shaped my life, because I know I would not be the same person I am now without the artistic exposure I've had thanks to Disney and our familial status as a military family (and the lifestyle that accompanies it).

Sorry for writing you guys a novel. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Wow. So cool. I'm not looking to win or anything, just figured I'd share a two small stories on how animation, and comic books, influenced my life.

I was about five years old and quite a handful for my parents. My attention didn't sit long on anything and I was very hyper active. My sister would watch cartoons in the mornings and I never paid attention, always trying to annoy her(still do!) :)

My godfather, a very smart man, knew I wouldn't sit still for long, figured out a way to make me sit and be quiet, and it only cost him 75 cents. While he and my godmother were babysitting me, he needed to go to 711 for some things and my aunt practically forced him to take me with him. I was a terror in stores, but he took me anyway. While he was getting milk, etc. I was being held tightly by the hand and I stopped trying to pull away. He looked down and saw me staring at the comic books next to the magazines.

He told me to pick one out and I did. We went back home and I was quiet. I sat at their dining room table, trying my best to read the words, and asking for help when I couldn't read them. The art was spectacular and my little mind was overwhelmed. I read that comic three times that day. After that, I was hooked. Whenever my uncle went to the store, I begged to go with him. He would get me one comic each time, and later on, my dad would do the same thing. It kept me docile and quiet, and probably helped my family keep their sanity. :)

My dad was cleaning out my grandmothers basement one day and found an old box of my uncle's comics. Of course, this box was given directly to me and I started to read old Donald Duck, Mickey and Friends, and some super-hero stuff. They quickly became my favorite comics(the Donald Duck ones, in particular), and after a while, I finally started watching old VHS tapes of Donald Duck, the Three Caballeros, Mickey Mouse, and Fantasia. I was probably around 8 at the time, and once again, these cartoons probably saved my family from the nut house.

I'd like to think that because of animation and those old comic books, I was shaped into a better child. I learned understanding, morality, and expanded my vocabulary.

The other way animation influenced my life, and this is probably more impactful, was when I had a huge love affair with anime. I started watching it around when I was 10 years old or so, and after a few years understood what it was. I joined a tape trading group at the age of 15, where people would send around tapes of anime that were fan-sub-titled or not even subtitled. It led me to finding a group of friends that appreciated it as well. We formed an animation club in high school, and in college, I started attending anime conventions around the U.S.

Flash-forward to me in my mid-twenties, still deeply in love with anime and appreciating alot of american animation as well, and I meet this woman online. She's beautiful, smart, funny, compassionate, and she shares alot of my same interests. After months of talking on the phone, sending each other e-mail(texting wasn't really a thing yet), we decided to meet. That first night was strange, we met at a Barnes and Nobles, walked around and talked for a few hours. We talked about music, books, movies, etc., but one thing we kept coming back to was animation. We loved the same shows, suggested a bunch to the other, and generally loved that the other person knew what we were talking about.

That woman and I are married now, and still watch a ton of animation together. It is one of the many things we share together.

So, there's my sappy story. It didn't influence a career, or drive me to something more creative, but animation was a key factor in me finding the woman of my dreams. :)

Aww! These are all such moving and sweet stories. I may just have to give out more than one prize!

This is so interesting and a Great game.....
Animation gave me at least 45 minutes of sanity! Does anyone remember VHS tapes and video recorders/players? Well back in the 80s, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh was the movie that my daughter and I watched and also entertained her while she was young. Believe it or not in the early 80s VHS recorders were a hefty investment, blank tapes were easily $20 each, and pre recorded movies were just coming out as rentals a few were released for purchase but no where close to the availability of now. Disney movies were a HOT commodity and when they came out it was a must to have! To own a Disney animated movie and watch it in the comfort of your home it was magical! Winnie the Pooh and Friends kept my daughter company while I needed to do chores around the house, and gave some sanity while grandma babysat. She's 34 now and when she moved out to her own home, I noticed that her Winnie the Pooh lamp from her nursery made it into her extra room....Winnie the Pooh still keeps her company, it's a touching reminder of fond memories shared together!

Thank you for letting me share and reminding me of Happy Times : )

thank you for doing this !
Disney cartoons have helped me through a lot of tough times , Ive spent so much time in hospital ever since I was really little and I still have to go to hospital a lot now because i'm not well and I still like to watch them in there ! Disney movies and cartoons have really helped me when i've been so unwell . I always dreamed of drawing cartoons for Disney but sadly I've never been well enough to do all the art courses and things ..

You guys are writing such touching stories! Only nine more days left until my heart gives out from sentiment!

Both animation and drawing changed my life at some point. Animation changed my life when I was younger. I was born in 1997 and when I was born I had extreme asthma. For about the first five years of my life I was constantly in the children hospital or a different hospital depending on how bad the asthma was (if really bad we wouldn’t go to the children hospital as it was further away). Whenever I had a problem I would get a room at the hospital that had a VCR player so I could bring movies to watch. I would have a backpack bag with all my favourite movies just incase we needed to go suddenly my dad or mom could grab it as we left.

This was big to me as I could be in the hospital from anywhere to a few hours to a few days so I had 5-7 movies in there from the Jungle Book to Roger Rabbit to Sleeping Beauty to Pinocchio. I had a range of all the animated movies of Disney and some non-Disney movies like Toy Story. The reason this was big was because it didn’t matter how long I was in the hospital, it felt like a short amount every time.

As I got older I really grew a fascination towards art. I have no idea as nobody in my family are professional artists… I can’t even daw but I love looking at art. I think the interest was formed by the discovery of Disneyana and the gallery beside Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln the second time I went to DLR. My mom had to go to the bathroom and since there was the one right there I saw this store so investigated inside. I was just enthralled by all the amazing work inside about my favourite thing, Disney!

This is also were I learnt about Imagineers as they do all the concept drawings… This is when I discovered that I would love to be an imagineer no matter what. It would be a dream but with the drawing struggle it would be well, a struggle… So I studied different imagineers and their styles (Tony Baxter, Marc Davis, etc.) to get an idea of how it all works. After that, I was just mesmerized by different drawing possibilities throughout the different decades… And now I have been working hard on it and I am getting better at drawing… Kinda… I am not as good as anyone on here by far.. Not going to name anyone (Everyone)… But it is getting there!

To make a long story short, that is how Animation and drawing has changed my life…

I've had a crazy week. I'll be choosing the winner within the next few hours! Thanks to everyone for sharing!

Okay, so after seeing so many of you write so many beautiful, inspiring stories, I have decided there will be more than one winner. I will not disclose how many winners there are until everything is received, but know that if you do happen to win your prize does include a mickey sketchbook and something else. So, yeah!

I'm trying to get the winner's addresses from some people or you can send me them if you read this post!

Thank you everyone for writing these stories! Look for my next contest some time in the future when I find more Disney related things to give away!

Back