• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

GenEARation Event - any comments?? Inquiring minds want to know

Status
Not open for further replies.
GenEARation Event - any comments?? Inquiring minds want to know

TiggerSue

Want TIGGER PINS!!! on PinPics - FLTiggerSue
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
:wavey: Hi! Haven't seen any posts about the GenEARation Pin Event.

How about it?? Enjoyed?? Didn't enjoy?? :tigger: Sue

I had a great time—traded for SEVERAL pins off my wants list (which is really tiny) and saw several old friends (including TiggerSue!).

Major snafu of the event HAD to be the four tickets for the trader boards. First off, they really annoyed those who go to the event primarily for the boards. Even worse, it did nothing to exacerbate the long lines and wait times to get to the boards. I did one each day and wasted 1-1.5 hours each time. I did hit one of the boards as the first person!! But there weren't any really really cool pins to be seen, so I picked up AP pins of random HM/PWP cat pins.

Not really a big Pixar fan, so I should save a bunch of $$ from the RSP. I didn't actually buy any pins off the RSP this year, but I did buy the last D pin (Olaf) and the first Pixar pin (Luxor) at the end of the event.

There were lots of "fantasy" pins (really bootleg, to be precise) and some of the owners were trading them like they were gold. Some of them are really pretty, and I have "fantasy" Stitch pins from several years ago, in addition to some of the newer ones, so I'm not against them by any means! Still I'm not sure how I feel about trading high end Disney pins for "high end" bootleg not-Disney pins.

Anyone else?

This was my first pin trading event, and I definitely learned a lot. First off, I did much better in the trading room than I did with the pin boards. In the trading room, I was able to trade for quite a few of my Wants. The pin boards, on the other hand, required me to wait a long time for nothing. The only time I was able to get any LEs or APs from the pin board was during the Eat Ticket Breakfast event. After that, they were essentially a waste of time.

Regarding the trade board tickets, I think the 4 allotted tickets had the unanticipated effect of encouraging everyone to wait in the pin board lines 4 times/day, even if they otherwise would not have done so. I think many attendees had the mentality of wanting to get what they paid for, so because they received 4 tickets, they felt that they needed to go through the lines 4 times, when in another year they might have spent the time doing other things. Thus, the lines ended up being just as long or longer than they had been in the past. Just speculation on my part, though.

This also caused some problems toward the end because people who were in the last lines of the day on Friday afternoon who had not used all of their tickets cajoled the event managers into allowing them to use all of their remaining tickets. (Seriously, the pin board changed a few people before my turn, but because each person was using up 2 or 3 tickets, I did not benefit a whole lot, and the wait during that last line of the day was horrendous). Then, after attendees complained that people were saving up their tickets and using them all when the pin boards changed, Disney changed its policy on Saturday, which caused a big uproar among the people who had planned on using their tickets up all at once, and were now stuck with unusable tickets. Again, this issue would not have arisen but for the fact that people had these "tickets" and thus felt entitled to make 8 trades at the pin board, even if they did not stand in line 4 times. Without the tickets, I can't see how anyone would have been allowed to get away with standing in line once and trading 6 pins at the board.

Last edited:
I only go for the boards. The 2 lines all the way back (toward the "store") had 2 boards each, so the wait times were about 1 hr. We finished the first day at 3:30 and the second day by 2:30. I prefer to get the board pins off the board (its fun to trade in the line to complete the set and easier for my non trading spouse to pull off the boards). Even counting them, we had about half the trips as last year. I'm not sure it is worth the cost of a 2 day event when we only get 1 day of the boards. If we are not going to do the event, I'm not sure I want to renew my AP

Did anyone else notice they didn't have a PWP, nor did they show any hidden mickeys or completers during the preview.

It was my first event and I enjoyed it :) I must have been one of the lucky ones as I got quote a few LE AP/PP pins each of my trips to the boards/boxes. I am really excited about the Pixar event! I did make some amazing trades with people in the lines (including TiggerSue who is a absolutely wonderful lady!) so all in all my first event was a fabulous one!

This must be my 5th or 6th event, and it had good parts and bad parts. The bad part was the waiting in the lines. I did the boards once, early on Friday, and then got in line just before 5 pm. Was extremely surprised when we were told we could trade all of our unused tabs when we did get to the board. I don't know who complained, but I benefitted. I was also at the breakfast, and was only able to trade twice because of the crowds.
The good parts were the trading in the back room. Got some of my wants and saw pins that I didn't know I wanted. The entertainment was better this year, really enjoyed the characters of Tillie and Billie. Made me laugh, even just hearing them in the back room.

Less boards, longer lines, and definitely less people in attendance than years before. Can't imagine what it would have been if more people were there.

Did not like the board pin this year so would have pulled other pins from board if they weren't offered as gift this year.

Barely got my four pulls each day because of how long lines were. Overall a failure with regards to changes. If I hadn't gone to breakfast it would have been really bad.

yes have to agree with Natelove, we only got thru the Breakfast boards 2 times before 10 and then the lines got even longer anywhere from 1 hour to two to wait in line , not much trading in lines this year either, Sat was the best day, pins to get off the boards were nothing spectacular either did get some AP's though,

Didn't go to the Event this year for a variety of reasons. But I still feel that they need to do some sort of focus group with 'Pin people" to really figure out how to "fix" this. Not saying to "moan and groan" but to really listen to folks in the hobby and to make them part of the solution process. This is done at many of the Anime conventions I went to with my daughter and it seems to work.
This was done years ago at DLR with the Disneyland Advisory Committee (just a big focus group of Disney fans) and it resulted in some real accomplishments in product and process. Just MHO.

Mike S.
Figment919

I wasn't at the event but I was with hubby and friends at Epcot on Friday. Friends that were at the event were not happy. I really thought since they were only giving you 4 tabs a day, they would put better pins up. By that I mean more than an AP mystery pin.
I was thrilled to have met and traded with Mom'sRathOutgrabe and Merryweather. It was so nice meeting you both.
And to Sherrie for the great trade.
At the yacht club, put on by the NJ pin traders, I got three from my signature.
Peter, Snow, and Alice Tink. I spent $20.00 on our event LOL ... Great Time!
I will not be going to the Pixar Event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back