• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Hello from a new collector...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello from a new collector...!

Frozen_Jane

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi everyone, well I'm new to pins but not to collecting, I collect lots of things from Disney to Nintendo and in between.

Recently made my first visits to Disneyland Paris and Disneyland in LA. Bought a couple of pins and a lanyard in Paris but LA really got me into pins! It started out as just buying pins of the attractions I went on at DL but then I saw a few I liked so bought those too. Now I can be very addicted to collecting a thing (FROZEN is currently my obssession, I have lots of merch inc the March LE dolls) but I want to try only collect the pins that I really love. I'm not sure how it works though as I have nothing to trade so my only option is to buy I guess.

Because of my work I do travel to the UK fairly often and occasionally to DLPR, so if someone had a pin I really wanted and was willing to trade for non-pin merch I'd be happy to work in with it.

Mostly interested in:

Frozen
Anything with Jane Porter (esp yellow dress pins)

Thanks and any tips for a newie welcome! (I did read the post on terms etc but so far I'm a bit overwhelmed by this pin pics thing and those nice pitures you all have underneath saying what pins you want :)

Hello and welcome .
Unfortunately the pins you've chosen to collect are among the most expensive and hard to get hold of , but they'll also some of the best looking :) And it's almost embarrassing how few Jane pins there are .
Good luck growing your collection .

Thanks!

Well I started with little figurines (you know the kind that come free with things) and then I ended up with a few plush and then some Kirby-themed things but my main Nintendo love is Legend of Zelda so I look for things that I like that tie in with that theme. I'm currently looking to get some new cabinets so once I have those I'll be able to organise my collections a bit better and share some pics :)

Oh and I also have a few Lego minifigs as well, some Hobbit/LOTR figurines and the odd Walking Dead figure as well. Like I said, I just collect whatever takes my fancy :p

awesome!! my little boy loves mario he has some plushies and figures. I also collect Funko Pop vinyl figures as well as disney pins :D

Speedwaystar, ugh *groan* I sort of knew it but was hoping they wouldn't be tooooo crazy. Now I think I may have found one of them for a good price... but now I'm wondering if it's TOO good? Is there anywhere I can get a idea of how much I should be paying (ballpark?) I know it varies from person to person, how much they personally value a pin etc.... but I also don't wanna get ripped off.... I checked pin pics but it just says how much they sold for originally...

Ayyy! I collect nintendo things too! (I was actually just recently at a convention where I cosplayed as an ACNL mayor, and am a HUGE Zelda fan) Welcome to the pin-trading community!

Ee just made my first pin purchases online- one is a spinner pin with Cinderella & Fairy Godmother where her dress changes, and the other is the WDW Dave Evans It's A Small World (my first LE pin!) :) Hopefully those are good pins but even if not I liked the designs so I am happy with them :lol:

Ee just made my first pin purchases online- one is a spinner pin with Cinderella & Fairy Godmother where her dress changes, and the other is the WDW Dave Evans It's A Small World (my first LE pin!) :) Hopefully those are good pins but even if not I liked the designs so I am happy with them :lol:

Be careful when purchasing online; especially if on eBay. The scrapper problem on there is a pain, your spinner should be fine though as it's rarer to get scrappers/fakes of pins like that.

Oh great, what a positively un-positive welcome THAT was. Can I start again? Welcome to the forums! :D

Lol! HH thanks for the warning. It also has moving parts so I guess less likely as you said? I was looking for any info on how to tell which are which but I just saw the page with all the pin terms and words on it. Thank you too Tigger!

Lol! HH thanks for the warning. It also has moving parts so I guess less likely as you said? I was looking for any info on how to tell which are which but I just saw the page with all the pin terms and words on it. Thank you too Tigger!

Yeah, any pin that has moving parts is generally less likely to be a scrapper... its still possible; but the chances are slim. I didn't mean to sound too negative, there are a lot of honest sellers on eBay as well... just you do have to be careful. Don't buy pin lots, they're usually always scrappers unfortunately.

It's good to see you already have a problem with collecting. We won't be accused of solely corrupting you! :drool: Welcome!

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you! It's good you aren't focusing just on Frozen and Jane; a lot of times, easier to acquire themes can give you just as much joy as your number one collection! Don't worry if a pin is good- in the sense that it is desirable; good in that it is authentic is very important if you ever want to sell or trade it- all that matters is that YOU like it! People collect everything here! You'll see that when you look through a member's pinpics. If one person hates a character, two more adore it!

Hope you're having fun collecting today!

Chrissy

Thanks everyone! I've gotten messages on another page from some people who have two of my wanted pins, prices not stupidly high,- they're on cards and new but now I'm wondering- just how do you tell if something is fake/scrapper or not? And maybe they don't know either, esp if things are very good copies/fakes. (I've been to China many times and have seen where fakes get made, a lot you CANNOT tell the difference!)

Welcome to the forum!

It's true that Frozen is one of the most sought-after collections, but luckily, there are a few really nice open-edition rack pins, too!

Here are some you might want to focus on for now...

pin100844th72

(And a few other new Frozen pins that just came out that haven't made it to PinPics yet.)

FYI "open edition" just means "not limited edition" and "rack" means "directly off the rack at Disneyland/Disney World." In other words, these pins are NOT super hard to get. They might sell out sometimes from day to day, but the parks always get more in stock. So don't pay high dollar for them! A rack pin is usually from 7 to 10 dollars, so I would not pay over 15 dollars for any of them including shipping, but of course that's your personal decision.

This five pin set goes for about $30 at the parks...

I believe there is a new Frozen set coming out soon, too! That one will feature Kristoff and Sven, as well as the girls and Olaf.

Here are a few more "easier" Frozen pins...
pin100843th72
pin101307th72

Olaf is available for $4.95 plus shipping to anyone with a Disney Movie Club account. The Anna and Elsa pin will be part of a mystery set. Once again, I would not advise paying top dollar for either of these pins.

As far as Jane goes... She's a bit trickier, not being a very popular character! There are not a whole lot of pins of her in existence, so the ones that have been made are rather hard to get.

These are the only two that comes to mind that might not be too hard.

The one with Tarzan is a limited edition from the UK, but it didn't come out that long ago, so there are a lot of people still trading it!

Best of luck with both your collections, and welcome to a very fun and addictive hobby. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back