Hi I love Tinkerbell! :D

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tinkerbro, Apr 9, 2020.

Tags:
?

How many pins do you have?

1. 20 or less

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 21-50

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 51-100

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. 101-500

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  5. 501-1000

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  6. 1000+

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  7. I didn't mean to add this option and I don't know how to delete it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tinkerbro

Tinkerbro Collecting Tink pins since 2007!

0   0   0

Hello! My name is Andrew. I'm 20 years old and I've been collecting for like 13 years. I'm used to being able to say curse words online, so apologies in advance if any slip through my proofreading on this site. I was so tempted to take the username Tinkerbell when I made my account, because I searched the member list and no one had taken the username yet, but I decided on Tinkerbro instead because I like the informal vibes that come with making my username a corny pun.

Anyhoo, I have 59 pins. 31 are Tinkerbell. My favorite kind of pins are the ones that are outdated, if that makes sense? AKA, pins representing an aspect of the parks that isn't there anymore, like old rides and fastpasses. I also love pins that reference old WDW slogans, like year of a million dreams and that sort of thing. Does anyone know if there are toon-town pins? When I was a kid, toon-town was my very favorite area in Disney World. I remember being pretty sad when they took it out even though I was too old for it by that point.

Now I'm getting nostalgic about the old animation/drawing class thing that used to be in Hollywood Studios :( I was never that into Star Wars, so I'm a little put out that they replaced it with that. And the Great Movie Ride! D: I discovered that two matching Tink pins I'd had for years were part of a 4-pin set on that ride when I traded with a cast member for a third piece of the set. I still haven't found the 4th, but I'm working on it :D I've found it for sale online, but I feel like that's cheating in a way...

I don't usually buy pins to keep, I just prioritise quantity for low prices in the shops and then trade away all the stuff I don't love on the massive pinboards they have around WDW. When I can, I check all the boards near where I'm staying three times a day, since the most interesting things on those boards are usually what other people have traded. I'm honestly pretty easy to please, I think, and I just love the way it feels to make a trade for a pin that I think looks cool. I have hoarder tendencies, so pin trading lets me indulge in my dragon-like instincts to Collect All The Shinies without accumulating too much clutter.

Unfortunately I live smack in the center of the USA (in good old Misery), so I can't get to the parks every day like I want to. That's probably why I'm so obsessed with pin trading whenever I do go to Disney World. When I think about Disney, pins are the first thing that comes to mind; not the rides, not the Dole whips, not the fireworks. Just pins. I don't think my mom knew what she was getting into when she bought me my first lanyard and a set of 4 bootleg High School Musical pins to trade, or she probably wouldn't have done it. (She didn't know that there was any difference between the official Disney pins and any old pins back then, but we've learned. She even has her own lanyard now, but she didn't as recently as five years ago; I guess she decided to join me in my obsession, since she couldn't beat me! XD)

To be honest, I've never bought, sold, or traded a single pin online. I'm mostly here because I really really miss driving my family crazy by stopping to pin trade every few feet in the parks ;P and I want to talk about my pins again! My lanyards have just been sitting on a hook collecting dust :/ it's shameful.

I get the impression this forum is mostly used by active traders and collectors, but I'd just describe myself as a very enthusiastic guy who can't decide if he wants all his pins to be Tinkerbell, or if he wants to keep some traders in the collection too... The most bittersweet feeling in the world is when you take your last trader off your lanyard because you really want some other pin, and then none of your pins are traders anymore (and you're out of birthday money to spend on more pins). But at the same time I want to build up my collection of Tinkerbells endlessly into infinity. Like, I want all of my pins to be Tink!

I don't think I can trade on here, by the way. The vast majority of my traders have been exchanged through the parks, and I got them off pin boards or Cast Members and I basically have no way to verify whether they're authentic. I do have a few pins I got from a Mystery Pin thingy at the end of my last visit hoping for Tink (yes, I got her) but again, I have no way to prove they're not fake. I'm okay with that, honestly, since my favourite thing about trading is doing it in person.

I've realised I'm sort of writing an essay, so I'm just going to attempt to summarise what kinds of pins I like (and don't like), and then I'll check one last time for bad words and then post this! I reference specific pins a couple times, and I'd embed images, but I'm not allowed to put in links until I've made more posts. Maybe later I'll come back and edit photos in.
    • I love any and all Tink pins where she's still a fairy; I'm totally uninterested in pins that have her as a shoe or a lock or a donut or what-have-you. The way I see it, those aren't Tink pins, but Tink-themed pins. Just personal preference.
    • I also don't really care for birthstone or birth month pins (except for the 2012 Hidden Mickey Zodiac Collection. I think those are kick-cuss, particularly 88663)
    • Donald Duck is my second fave character and I love pins with him on them (120713 is a huge fave!)
    • Pretty pins! :D I like pastel colours, sparkles, gold, and all shades of blue and purple. Also, dainty pins like 11635.
    • Conversely, I don't like pins with the American flag on them because they usually aren't pretty. It's basically impossible to make most characters match red white & blue, especially Tinkerbell. For instance, I have pin 61635. She's absolutely adorable on it, and I love everything about the way she's drawn, plus the silhouette of the pin as a whole, a circle with her wings poking outside? Incredible, amazing, wonderful! But the light green of her dress next to the red stripes... it's just ugly. I love everything else about the pin, but I keep it on my trader lanyard because in the end I just don't like it.
    • I can't stand Tsum-Tsum pins. They creep me out.
    • I have a pronounced weakness for the ugliest imaginable shades of orange (99860)
    • I don't like the Mickey-shaped rainbow pride pins that I started seeing for sale in the parks a few years ago because there are cheaper, more discreet ways to show my pride in the parks if I so desire (and I don't). Most of them get the flag wrong anyway, and they're also not good traders. (115075, 116460, etc)
    • I hate the pins that are like empty, colorless versions of regular pins because I have bad eyesight and I just can't tell what any of them are. Looking at them hurts my eyes. (88724)
    • Scar from the Lion King.
    Now that you've scrolled past my opinions, I have some questions for you all! Feel free to answer as many or as few as you feel inclined to.
    1. What was your most memorable trade? What made it memorable?
    2. What pin are you the most upset about not having at the moment?
    3. If you started collecting as a child, how has your collection evolved since then? Did you keep your old favourites, or trade them away?
    4. Are there characters you used to collect, but don't anymore?
    5. What's the first pin you bought yourself?
    6. Do you use a lanyard, or do you keep all your pins some other way? Off-topic but a few years ago I met someone in the parks who had an oversized knee-length vest completely covered in pins, and even though it looked uncomfortable and sort of tacky I can't stop thinking about doing that someday.
    7. How often do you rearrange or reorganise your collection?
    8. When new pins come out, how do you decide which ones you want?
    9. Are there any pins that aren't sold anymore that you wish you bought back when you could get them?
    10. What's the greatest number of pins you've bought/traded in one day?
    woah i can do a poll? cool!

coblj003 and CCofRR13 like this.
  2. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0

Just a quick note to say Hi, welcome to the Forum! :lgm:Loved reading your post. Have lots to reply, but that will need to wait for later.

Tinkerbro likes this.
  3. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    118   0   0

Welcome... love your post and I think you'll find some pin talk here... no doubt. :)

Tinkerbro likes this.
  4. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    122   0   0

Hi and Welcome! Loved reading your post. I especially like how specific you are with which pins fit your collecting criteria - particularly the pin being Tink as a fairy. I feel the same way about the Cheshire Cat - I want to see his face. You will find many people here have very specific criteria as well: no dates, no words, full figure of character only, etc.

I'll answer #4: Characters I used to collect but don't anymore.

I was kinda all over the place when I started collecting ~ basically anything that caught my eye. Over the years, I have narrowed my collection down to pretty specific pins: Cheshire Cat categories: by himself, with Alice, with Queen of Hearts, and with whole AIW gang. I also have a small Stitch dressed as other characters collection.

Themes/characters I have abandon:
    Maleficent - it seemed the pins that I absolutely love of Maleficent are extremely rare and difficult to trade for/buy.
    Jasmine & Rajah - I LOVE tigers - especially Rajah. I still have about 10 pins of this couple but they are not displayed and I am not actively looking for them.
    Belle - especially with her winter red cape. I found myself using Belle pins to trade for other pins I wanted so decided to stop collecting her.
    Frozen - collected for a hot minute but abandon these pins pretty quickly.
    Ariel/Rapunzel - like Belle, I found myself using them as traders more than anything.

Every now and then I think about collecting villains - especially Ursula and Evil Queen but I think I would run into the same issues I had with Maleficent.

Again, welcome!

Tinkerbro likes this.
  5. Tinkerbro

0   0   0

Thanks for the warm welcome! I was honestly sort of worried I was being too specific, I think I spent about 20 minutes just editing my list of criteria after I wrote it trying not to sound too opinionated XD

I can relate to the struggle with Maleficent. Some of my very favourite Tinkerbell pins (aka the ones I would want whether or not I was collecting her) are $50+ on ebay (more anywhere else), which basically nixes the possibility I'll ever have them, because I absolutely cannot bring myself to spend enough for ~10 pins on a single pin. Thus, I don't even have anything of similar value to trade with someone. It doesn't help that I've lost a lot of my cute kid powers over the years-- I used to get the occasional "you obviously love this pin and making kids happy is fun" trade with other park guests, but not anymore.

I love the Cheshire Cat! He's such an engaging character. Alice in Wonderland was my family's road trip movie for several years straight when I was younger, so I've seen it quite a few times. I think if I had started out with five Cheshire Cat pins instead of five Tink pins when I was 12 and did a trade with a couple who each had specific character collections, there's a fair chance I would have ended up collecting him instead. Does the CC in your username stand for Cheshire Cat?

I would have liked to collect Frozen pins, but my problem was that the movie is visually stunning in a totally different style from most pins, so any pins I saw just didn't look right to me. I don't think I have any Frozen pins.

By the way, do you know how to keep my smileys from turning into the default emojis? Colon uppercase D has a totally different energy than an actual emoji in my opinion.

6. swscref

swscref Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0

Hi and welcome to DPF. I may be back to tackle the questions, but right now work has me overloaded.

Tinkerbro likes this.
  7. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    122   0   0

CC just happens to be my initials (Christine C.) and the initials of my favorite guy - The Chesie :cheshire:

I should have mentioned, while I have scaled down my collection, I collect/trade/buy for my family as well:

Husband: Star Wars - considering Marvel pins
    Oldest son (22 yrs.) - trains, railroad, conductor, or his favorite rides (Big Thunder Mountain, Everest, Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion (Phantom Manor - we went to Paris once and got to ride it - amazing!!!)
    Youngest son (15 yrs.) - Nemo, Jack Skellington, anything that catches his eye

Tinkerbro likes this.
  8. Tinkerbro

0   0   0

Your oldest son and I have the same fave rides :D what good taste! And Nemo is always a great choice, I love fish (both as friends and food ;D ).

I hope your work goes well! Thank you for welcoming me. I'm excited to hear your answers whenever/ifever (is that a word) you get the chance!

9. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    400   0   0

Welcome:lgm:

10. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Hi Andrew and Welcome! I absolutely loved reading your introductory post and I think your username is hilariously fantastic. And to answer a few of your questions:

If you started collecting as a child, how has your collection evolved since then? Did you keep your old favourites, or trade them away?
    Are there characters you used to collect, but don't anymore?
    I'm grouping these together because they're really one and the same (at least for me). I first started seriously collecting in 2002 or 2003, I don't remember which, on a trip to WDW. I don't know if you remember, but back then, WDW hosted weekly PTNs Friday nights at the Contemporary. After being rained out of the Magic Kingdom and jumping on the monorail to the Contemporary to find dinner ... and walking into the PTN ... I started asking questions about this thing called pin trading. I was instructed by very well-meaning cast members and fellow pin traders as to which characters were popular at the time. Instead of being guided to select a favorite character/theme, I was advised to purchase multiples of every limited edition pin that came out, one for my collection, at least one to trade. I followed that advice for far too many years before I realized that it was stupid, why was I buying pins I didn't even like or want, just because they were 'limited', 'just in case' they might make 'good traders.' As a result, I now have far too many pins I need to sort through and clear out, pins I don't even want, and I've missed out on buying pins that I do want because I have no place to put them.

Do you use a lanyard, or do you keep all your pins some other way? Off-topic but a few years ago I met someone in the parks who had an oversized knee-length vest completely covered in pins, and even though it looked uncomfortable and sort of tacky I can't stop thinking about doing that someday.
    I wish I could use a lanyard. The problem is that I get migraines and I can only wear a lanyard for a few hours (maximum) before the weight pulling on my head and neck requires me to take it off. I wouldn't even attempt to wear a vest for the same reason; not to mention that I would imagine wearing said vest probably is extremely hot, heavy, and uncomfortable.

A general caveat to wearing pins, whether on a lanyard, vest, or otherwise: be very careful with the black rubber 'Mickey' backs, as they have a tendency to slip off the post and the pin, in turn, could fall unnoticed. The potential problems with the locking backs are twofold:
    1. if you don't have the key, you may not be able to remove them to trade (should you choose)
    2. if you lock them too tightly, you may damage or break the pin's back
    A better option for wearing pins might be finding 'pincer' or 'tie tack' backs instead, IMO.

My collection pins are ... well, let's not go there, they're kind of in a state of transition right now. I'm in the process of reorganizing them at the moment, but they're currently in binders and on boards. I hope to ultimately get my collection in a situation where it can be properly displayed. When I go to the parks, I don't take any pin that I'm not willing to trade. I usually take a small pin bag and just trade from that all day.

When new pins come out, how do you decide which ones you want?
    The new pins that I want are the ones that fit into the characters/themes that I collect. If I really want a pin, I might start a new character/theme collection, but I would have to really love the pin for that to happen. But the great thing about pins/pin collecting is that you can decide how to define a pin collection. You can define your themes as broadly or narrowly as you see fit and make it work for you.

Are there any pins that aren't sold anymore that you wish you bought back when you could get them?
    Absolutely, yes. I can think of a few right now, but that's what makes trading fun!

What's the greatest number of pins you've bought/traded in one day?
    I have absolutely no idea and I'm not sure I want to know (looking at you, Florida pin events)!

Tinkerbro likes this.
  11. Tinkerbro

0   0   0

I really enjoyed reading your answers! Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I've lost enough pins/had enough pins fall off temporarily that I have nicer backs on all of my favourite pins. And if I can feel that a mickey back is loose when I put it on, I just keep the pin in my pocket until I can replace the back. I have few enough pins that I usually just bring all of them to the parks; when I was younger I loved showing off and even now it's gratifying to see the looks on little kids' faces when they notice my pins and ask to trade. Wearing my pins on a lanyard is one of the main reasons I love the hobby, cus that's how I started out, so I don't think I'd have as much fun if I stopped wearing them somewhere on my body.

...Although I have noticed issues with neck pain whenever I bring my three lanyards (it'd be 2 but I only have one of the wide ones) out to the parks. Sometimes I shift them over to hang across my body like a messenger bag and give my neck some rest XD I also avoid heavier pins like the bottlecap ones and this one huge autograph book one that only had one post (both of which seriously deserve two posts).

I've learned over the years which spots on my lanyards are most likely to lose a pin due to friction with the other lanyards/etc, so I use better backs for any pins in those spots, even traders. I have some traditional locking backs on the pins I'd be most devastated to lose to an impulsive trade. I'm a pretty impulsive person, so not bringing a key to the parks is somewhat of a safety measure XD the rest of the pins that are important to me have a different kind of back that I don't know the name of, but they feel secure enough that I know the pins won't be pulled off by the normal friction that comes from walking around wearing three lanyards.

Have you looked into other options to wear your pins? I hope this unsolicited advice isn't something you've heard a bajillion times before, but maybe just wearing two or three pins at a time would work better? If you carry a backpack in the parks, you could also try putting pins on the straps depending on what kind they are.

With regards to the vest, the weight is part of the reason it seems so cool to me. I'm autistic and I love the idea of a weighted vest that people will actually compliment me for instead of looking at me weirdly (for some reason it can be difficult to find weighted vests made for adults, I can't imagine why [thinking emoji, heavy sarcasm]). The heat is a different thing altogether, though-- I hate the feeling of being too hot. I'll have to think about that... I'd also definitely have to make sure to distribute the weight evenly and make sure I know how heavy it is so that I'm carrying a safe amount. Not to mention some kind of cushion between me and the pin backs... I'll figure it out someday. Maybe I should just give up on the vest idea and make a cape :D (this is a joke, if it ever got caught in a jet engine, it could choke me ;P)

The idea of a weekly pin trading night is kind of blowing my mind right now, btw. I was born in 2000, so I don't have any memory of what you're describing, but that literally sounds so cool! Yet another reason I wish I was an adult living in Orlando in the early 2000s.

I had more to say, but I can't remember it and I have to go sew some masks now, so I'm gonna end it here. Have a great day!

12. Mcgilligan

Mcgilligan Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

1. Trading for a grail I saw for the first time. I did not know I would see a pin that would become a grail immediately. I was lucky that I was able to make that trade.

2.I am not upset about it, but I am annoyed about it. I had a chance to buy it for $400 and now I see it for well over $1000.
    3.I started as an adult
    4.Well, I have not stopped collecting specific characters but keepers have become traders.
    5.I am not sure. Probably an OE from 2004 or 2005.
    6.I use a lanyard for the parks. I use pin bags on trips, I use binders for trading events, I have categorized boxes for everything else.
    7. I reorganized before trading events or disney trips.
    8. I think if a new pins fits in one of my (or loved ones) collections. Or if someone I know would like it. If so I try to buy it at cost.
    9. No, that is what makes the trading more fun.
    10. Not sure about the most pins I have bought in 1 day. Over 40 or 50. It is easy to do this with online orders, especially when disney shopping had sales twice a year on pins.

13. coblj003

coblj003 DPF Charter Member DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

Hello there Andrew and welcome to the forum from the neighboring state of So Ill(sorry for the dad joke). The story of your username reminds me a bit of backstage humor from the Keys to the Kingdom Tour: contrary to popular belief there are no friends of Tinker"Bill" that have ever flown off the castle for Wishes, only Tinkerbell. Like you I like to collect from Yester-year or ones for nostalgia purposes; but that comes with being a Disney fanatic/former CP. If you're into collecting pins of former attractions/shows, you may love the "Piece of Disney History/Movie" Pins as well as CM/WDI series if you happen to have an CM insider or alot money to spare.
    FYI, Don't automatically discount the authenticity of the HSM pins if they were purchased on the cheap; Disney had a-lot of them of them out for less the $.50 each 10 ten years ago. It would be interesting to see what lanyards you have, I need to do a better job at displaying mine but they're in storage currently...
    As for online trading/buying, it's not for everyone but if you'd like to try it out most of us here are a friendly bunch.

As for questions for us members, lets see...
    1. What was your most memorable trade? What made it memorable? A last trade of the night as I was walking to the bus stop at TTC. I was still in costume with my lanyard on the monorail and a family stopped my fellow CM's and I as we got out. The two oldest quickly traded for something, but the youngest was sad that I didn't have anything he wanted to trade for. After promising him a mystery trade but no trade-backs I had him close his eyes, which then had him listening to the gasps of astonishment from family as I reached into my bag to pull out a Jumbo castle pin I got from company D that day. His jaw dropped expression alone was priceless to make it my favorite trading memory.
    2. What pin are you the most upset about not having at the moment? I'm not too upset but I traded away a reproduction of an LE 50 pin from the haunted mansion's O'pin House event. Of course pin prices has skyrocketed and I have yet to find a listing of the framed set it comes from...
    3. If you started collecting as a child, how has your collection evolved since then? Did you keep your old favorites, or trade them away? N/A. I've not really changed my likes per say, just re-prioritized my traders and got rid a lot of them since I'm in a similar boat as you here in the middle of the heartland.
    4. Are there characters you used to collect, but don't anymore? Not necessarily, priorities put in perspective means I'm not as gung-ho on attaining every want pin that gets released.
    5. What's the first pin you bought yourself? The very first pin I bought on Main Street was a Scoop and Friends pin with Sheila Shufflehop.
    6. Do you use a lanyard, or do you keep all your pins some other way? Off-topic but a few years ago I met someone in the parks who had an oversized knee-length vest completely covered in pins, and even though it looked uncomfortable and sort of tacky I can't stop thinking about doing that someday. I have three lanyards, my CM lanyard and side pouch as well as a extra large WDW Magic Kingdom themed lanyard.
    7. How often do you rearrange/reorganise your collection? Not as often as I should, most are in storage sadly.
    8. When new pins come out, how do you decide which ones you want? I'm in the same boat as you; being way from the parks means I will be paying a surcharge if I were to get anything firsthand so I'm usually out of sorts when it comes to New Releases.
    9. Are there any pins that aren't sold anymore that you wish you bought back when you could get them? A bunch of the Haunted Mansion O'pin house series were great, as well as the Super Jumbo Scoop Sanderson. Off Topic, I wish Scoop Sanderson was still active on Main Street to have a chance of meeting him and have him sign a few of my pins
    10. What's the greatest number of pins you've bought/traded in one day? $20 worth of clearance pins from Cast Connection, which when you release are the ones I talked about 40 pins of the 35th/HSM's. Those flooded everyone's lanyard the months whilst I was there...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  14. MikeM

MikeM Member

0   0   0

Welcome!

15. Rubispompadour

Rubispompadour Member

0   0   0

Welcome to the forum!