How do you organize your pin books?

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by bcol, Apr 7, 2020.

1. bcol

bcol "They call me Bruce" ....and mupins

Rating - 100%
    75   0   0

Most of us are finding ourselves with a lot of extra time on our hands since the self-isolation was announced and there has been some reorganizing and updating in our collections. I was wondering how everyone categorizes their traders. As I thought about it, there are so many ways that it could be done. By character, movie, release date, PinPics #, location, sets together, parks, et al. What is your preference for your pin books? This (or is it the TP shortage?) is making me crazy:rolleyes:. ANY INPUT would be appreciated.

Shelterkat and Abyssinian28 like this.
  2. Dragon57

Dragon57 New Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I organize my pins by sets. I also do my hidden mickey pins by years. I can get two years worth (both DLR & WDW) per book.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bcol and Abyssinian28 like this.
  3. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

It's so funny you mention that- I was literally just working on organizing my pin books for the event (whenever it might happen).

As far as my collection goes, it's something like this: pins large and pretty enough to go on boards and in frames get that treatment. Park-sized pins go in binders, mostly arranged by characters. I do keep my foreign pins in their own binders. If I get enough of a sub-theme going, I do a binder of nothing but that- for example, in my sea of Tink pins, I have enough Tink birthstone pins that they have their own binder. Within each character, I do do themes, too. Like all Stitch holiday pins go in a row, then event pins, etc.

bcol and Blacksmoke like this.
  4. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    118   0   0

It seems like other traders like it when my pins are separated by theme/character. So I try to keep them sorted in my pin books this way.

5. gargress

gargress (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ First Time @ DLR: Sept 2020! *:・゚✧ DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Same here! Organization by theme/movie but not so much by completed sets since I don't have many of those any more. Then when I put pins on to wear or in an ita bag, organization is more by color than anything else.

bcol, Abyssinian28 and Blacksmoke like this.
  6. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0

When it comes to trading, i have two bags - One with LEs and one non-LEs. In the LE bag, I have them generally organized by where they came from (DSSH, Acme, parks, etc.) and then within that, by theme if I have more than one page of a given type. (Princesses, Stitch, attractions, events, etc.) For the non-LEs, I have "rarer" stuff on the first page(s) - LRs, cast member pins (like the B.O.L.O. series), etc. After that, they are pretty random. I did try to organize them a bit, but I tend to go through those so frequently, it's just too much effort to organize. But I think i might give it a go before the next event.

7. Blacksmoke

Blacksmoke Active Member

Rating - 100%
    131   0   0

I love this question as I ask it often to myself and pin friends! Like everyone else with this extra stay at home time I have been pondering this question.

bcol likes this.
  8. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    118   0   0

When the pins are sorted by character/theme perhaps it is easier for the potential trader to view the book and not miss a hidden pin that is a want for them? And isn't that the goal? To have the potential trader find a pin they want from you?

9. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

Most of my traders are mystery sets, so they are organized by set. Otherwise, it's usually by character / theme. My best traders are in a binder with card sleeves, not a bag.

slbrabham, bcol and Abyssinian28 like this.
  10. Gelatoni

Gelatoni Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Here's what I have pretty much all kept inside of a suitcase that I just drag to pin events:
    1. Binder for LEs/LRs. Pins with card backs are mostly organized by location (US, Japan, Hong Kong, Shanghai. Don't have much Paris). There's also a couple Gopinpro pages of loose LE pins without card backs.
    2. Binder for game pins. I have Hong Kong game pins first organized mostly by set. Then I have several pages of Japanese game pins organized by character.
    3. A large pin bag for loose OEs vaguely organized by character.
    4. Individual bags for complete sets.
    5. A cork board of duplicate OEs and stuff I don't mind turning into park traders.

Since I got a new medium sized pin bag recently, I may compress my game pin binder into the bag. My only concern is that I want to keep some of the game pins in sealed bag condition so I may need to figure out a way to do that. My organization method means that I can almost always point at which binder/bag that someone can trade from. If I'm interested in an LE, I can hand them the LE binder but if it's a little kid trying to give me a common starter set pin, I can point them to the cork board.

As an aside, I've been looking for these binder pages that some Japanese traders have. They are 9 slots like baseball card holders but each slot can expand a bit and latches from two sides so they're more secure and have more space for objects thicker than a single card. If anybody knows what I'm talking about and can point me to where to buy these, I'll be very appreciative.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    bcol and Abyssinian28 like this.
  11. brattyjedi

brattyjedi Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

They aren’t quite what you’ve described as the seal mechanism is different, but coin binder pages I think fit basically what you’re describing: 9 pockets (other options available), thicker pocket than baseball card standard, with some way to seal things in, in this case a top flap that goes under a lip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085BQTXR7/?tag=thebroketogra-20

bcol likes this.
  12. Abyssinian28

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

Oh, I talked about my collection, but didn't even break down how I do my trading bags, which were the ones I was currently organizing! I am well into quarantine brain...

In the early days, when I kept everything together, I was having problems with people latching on to my high-end pins and ignoring the pins that were the same range of the pin I wanted. Which, you know...I'd be lying if I said it never happened to me, too. But it often killed the trade dead.

So to avoid having to tell people "no, sorry" as much as I used to have to (always horrible, even now), I did the "by price" technique. As a walker, it controls what I can offer up (although sometimes I sit, and it doesn't really help in that situation). 1/2 small bags of grails, one WDI/DSSH bag, one that has older ds.com,other 250-500s, and jumbos. Then my "medium" range bag...LE 1000s, usually. I sort of retired my "easy" bag, because I don't have a lot of easy pins on my Wants page...I just tend to buy them at retail. But I am addicted to mystery sets, so I have a bag just for mystery sets.

Each of THOSE bags are sorted by character/theme, except for the WDI bag, which is by set.

And finally, I have some sub-category binders, because I can't stand to take them off their backer cards, for some reasons. Binders are- Paris OE, Tokyo, HKDL, and I'm just about to move Duffy back to a binder. I tried a bag with him, and I just don't like how they look in a bag. And they spin a little too much, too.

So it's:
    1/2 small Grail bags
    WDI/DSSH
    250s/500s/Jumbos
    LE 1000s
    Mystery sets
    Paris OE
    Tokyo
    HKDL
    Duffy

So currently, and in summary, I have too many bags for my event luggage. Deciding what to take will be a massive pain in the butt.

bcol likes this.
  13. Abyssinian28

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

Interesting! I haven't seen them before. I wonder if it's new?

I collect trading cards from Japan (mostly anime), and I have bought trading card boxes and binders over there, but I confess I haven't ever taken a hard look at their sleeves. I guess I assumed they were the same as ours.

I'll be interested to see what you guys find!

bcol likes this.
  14. Gelatoni

Gelatoni Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm currently using pages like those and found they slightly bend the cards over time and occasionally, the flap slips out, causing the pin to fall out. They also don't have quite enough room for pins that are pin-on-pin or contain bubble elements. Better than your standard baseball card holder though unless you decide to punch the pin through the plastic.

The ones I see Japanese traders use seem slightly better which is why I ask if anyone has seen them.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    bcol and brattyjedi like this.
  15. Randakinskywalker

Randakinskywalker Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I organize my personal pins by movie or themes, which isn't that surprising or unique. My trading bag, however, is organized by value/rarity. I have a page for cast exclusives, limited editions, LRs/overseas, older uncommon pins, and then OE/HMs.

I really like the idea of organizing a trader bag by movie or characters, but how do those of you that do that prevent people from fixating on your high value pins? When I kept my CM LEs with my regular LEs, people would without fail try and strong arm me into trading those for their regular LE 4000. Even after telling them it was a cast LE 800. The only way I've been able to prevent that is by not allowing them to pick off that page at all. I would love to easily be able to show off pins by theme but not at the cost of giving myself a headache lol.

bcol likes this.
  16. summerskin

summerskin I control the weather

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0

I use the large Disney pin trading bags. I have four of them currently almost full. I organize them by movie and theme; all attractions pins, specific movies, etc. I do have a separate section for PTDS, Hidden Mickeys, and sets of various types. I don't store pins on cards but keep the cards for pins from that book in the back zipper pouch. I also have two pinfolios full of pins for kids to trade from; these are the same pins I would use for park lanyard trading. My policy on that is people can trade me any authentic pin for any pins for the books and kids can have any one they want for free.

slbrabham, bcol and Ajk like this.
  17. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0

Ditto.

18. pindoctor

pindoctor New Member

0   0   0

By character/movie seems most useful for traders, but some of the other ideas on this thread are interesting...

19. cyke23

cyke23 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

My traders are in 2 different types of containers. The carded ones are in 9-pockets, 4-pockets, etc. in a few case-it binders. The non-carded pins are in a pinfolio trading bag. Both are by theme or character but have exceptions like all hidden mickeys are together. When I went to the docfish2u trade event last year, I realized I couldn’t bring all the traders, just 1 case-it and my pinfolio, so I had to choose what carded pins to bring. I still have that 1 case-it with the “best-of’s” and the other ones with empty pockets for the ones I moved from them. So when I send pics of my traders, they look somewhat haphazard.

slbrabham likes this.