Ideas Needed

Discussion in 'Disney Chat' started by curiousdinah, Jan 31, 2020.

1. curiousdinah

curiousdinah Active Member

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Hey guys,
    I am headed to Disney World in a few months. I love discovering new things about the parks and this group has a wealth of knowledge. I try to do at least one new thing each trip. What's the one thing I should do, that is not riding a ride ? What are your insiders tips ?

For example, I didn't know about Pinneapple Lanai years ago. Going to the Poly and getting one is something I try to do now when I need a break. I also feel like I am always learning something new about the Boardwalk.

And anyone have any ideas for what to do in Dinoland if you are an adult, besides riding rides ?

Thanks all !

2. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

Have you done the Treasure of the Seven Seas Pirates Hunts in Adventureland? There are 5 maps, and they take you to different locations, and you trigger various effects with your Magic Band? You pick up the map at the old Camera store on the path between Pirates and Splash.

On my last visit, a janitor asked us if we knew where the smallest Hidden Mickey at WDW was. Hint: Adventureland.

Have you actually explored the various art exhibits in Epcot?

What is good in Dinoland? Actually, I have luck pin trading, lol. Mostly, I like looking at the displays in Chester & Hesters and the stuff the "grad students" have left behind in Restaurantasaurus (although it has been years since I've been in there, so it's possible they removed a bunch of that stuff, since current Disney Ops is on a minimalism trend )

3. curiousdinah

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

I did not know about the Pirate Hunts! I’ll have to do that. And what art exhibits in Epcot are you referencing ?

4. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0

If you like video games download the play Disney App and use the Star Wars data pad in Galaxy's edge. Also, they rethemed the Kim possible/phineas and Ferb game in Epcot to Ducktails (woohoo!). If you're going during the festival time, there's a scavenger hunt you can do. It does cost a little money. There's also Sorcerer's of the magic kingdom: a card game that you play in the parks.

Speaking of money, if you like tours: Marceline to the Magic kingdom is amazing if you just want to know things, Keys to the kingdom is a must if you want to go cool places, and if you like plants do the Behind the Seeds tour in The Land. Do not do the ABD gardens of the world if it is offered. If it is hot, there is very little shade and very little information offered other than a little bit about plants.

Depending on when you go, check out local pin groups trading days. All of the groups are friendly!

Be sure to check the food blogs for what's seasonally offered!

As for the art exhibits: each country has some sort of art or architecture representation. I did an art history scavenger hunt at Epcot once, it was really fun! There's also an exhibit in most of the countries, so really explore them, see if there's any winding roads that take you to paths unseen. For instance, I think the one in Japan is called Kawaii and it celebrates cute culture.

I almost forgot about cool things in the other parks! Really explore the tree of life if you haven't before. There's some cool places to root yourself if you need a moment.

Hollywood Studios QSR The Backlot has a whole bunch of props from Touchstone movies, and you can find others still sprinkled around DHS.

LET ME KNOW WHEN YOU COME DOWN!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

krand1276 likes this.
  5. chubs191

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0

Next thing that popped into my head is many resorts have a 5k on a set day of the week. Port Orleans is fun because you get beignets at the end. And I don't know if they still do it, but Saratoga springs held drawing classes for $20 on Tuesdays last year and you got a Rapunzel pin at the end.

6. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Have a fantastic time!

In Dinoland, we had a great time meeting Characters.

Other than that, we had a great time walking the trails (Tiger, Gorilla) at Animal Kingdom. I'm one of those people that can just sit in the aviary section for an hour and watch the birds and not be bored. I also like to people watch as they see the birds too. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Shelterkat likes this.
  7. DisneyJ

DisneyJ RIP Jack

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

Have a great time @curiousdinah!

This is good information for my trip in June. :)

8. curiousdinah

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Thanks All ! Still a few months to go though so I am making a list.
    @krand1276 are the characters at a location in Dino Land or is it luck of the draw ? I wondered through there last time looking for Dino Chip N' Dale with no luck. (Also, I could sit in the bat exhibit forever even though bats on a normal day creep me out.)

krand1276 likes this.
  9. chubs191

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0

It's called Donald's Dino Bash and if you pick up the entertainment map insert at the front of the park, you should (theoretically) be able to find their set times. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/entertainment/animal-kingdom/donalds-dino-bash/

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

krand1276 likes this.
  10. splashmtnman

splashmtnman All Wet and Happy

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

[​IMG]
    Technically it is a ride, but
    Ride the skyliner loop, it's never crowded during the mid-day, checkout the hotel lobbies, dining, and or bars (Like the MK monorail loop).
    Take it to the Hollywood Studios and board the boat ride back (maybe stopping for ice cream) to Epcot.

krand1276 likes this.
  11. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

I love watching bats! Unfortunately, they weren't in the display when we went.

So, here's a screenshot of the Dinoland area. I marked three spots. Launchpad is the one closest to Scrooge. Chip n Dale are hidden on the trail loop back there. I put a pink dot where Daisy had been meeting when we were there. It looks like she's not on the schedule today.[​IMG]

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

12. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I haven't been enough times to have any veteran tips but have a magical time!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

13. speedwaystar1

speedwaystar1 UK Disney Fan

Rating - 100%
    211   0   0

The Hoop Dee Hoo revue is a fun show / meal combo , I had a great time there

14. Ajk

Ajk Pinnerdo on Instagram

Rating - 100%
    86   0   0

Lots of great suggestions so far. I especially like the Kawaii exhibit in the Japan pavillion. And while back in that area, just check out the architecture. It's so much different from the rest of the pavillion and really neat.

In the Magic Kingdom, we've been very much enjoying the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game. You get a map and a free set of cards (one per person per day) at the firehouse to the left of the entrance to the park. There are various places around the park that you get sent to and you do a little video battle with villains by holding up a card in front of a camera. It has an ongoing story line you can play through to the degree you want to. We just really enjoy seeing the different "attacks" that each character has, such as QoH's card army or Baloo's coconut cascade.

One tip if you are doing it on a sunny day - the cards are thin so hold a couple of them back to back so they are thicker. Otherwise, the sun goes right through them and the camera can't register the card.

Also, if anyone is there during a holiday event where they give out the special event cards, I collect them! :D

15. curiousdinah

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0

Thanks guys! and @krand1276 the map is super helpful.

Keep 'em coming. Oh, and I got minnie/mickey runaway rail fast pass for my trip
    !

16. xdattax

xdattax Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

At AK, if you walk towards Pandora, you'll pass Tiffins. They're expensive and need reservations. boo. hiss. next to Tiffins is a little cocktail lounge, seating is first come, first serve. There are gluten free churros there with strawberry sauce. Get those.

krand1276 likes this.
  17. Ajk

Ajk Pinnerdo on Instagram

Rating - 100%
    86   0   0

BUT, if you want to splurge and can get a reservation, Tiffins is one of the best restaurants in any park.

xdattax likes this.