Instagram Rant

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by TheGreatGonzo, May 19, 2020.

1. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Member

0   0   0

Hello! I didn't know where to post this topic, I'm trying to navigate and familiarize myself with the forum, so if this is in the wrong place then please delete or place it where it belongs

Anyway, about the topic...

I've been pin trading for a few years, and only maybe about two years ago did I start making it a serious hobby of mine. I collected more than I traded, but trading with certain people is what turned me off in the first place. Now not all my trades were bad, but there was more bad than there were good...

Instagram seems to be the premier place to trade nowadays, with pin trading elites and beginners all in one place, there are so many more trading opportunities with fellow pin friends around the world, or so I thought.
    I made a "Pinstagram" and kept it for quite sometime before I got rid of it. I made it with the idea that I would maybe make more trades with what I had and with more windows of opportunity to trade with other people. It seemed really neat! Again, so I thought that it seemed that way. Boy was I wrong. I hardly made trades at all. In the 2 or 3 years that I had my account, I made a total of 15 trades. I mostly sold or practically gave away my pins because that was the only way I could get someone to trade with me. It discouraged me a lot. And it didn't let up. Now it seems like the same 15-20 people trade the same high end pins for likes and for envy from others. And those same individuals sometimes create opps, which I guess is like a raffle, so the lower class of pin traders have a "chance" at getting a grail or higher end pin. It led me to believe that even in the pin world, there's a class system. The larger pin accounts with hundreds or thousands of followers seem to take in the notoriety and boast in their posts. And the accounts without a large following get forgotten and overlooked, sometimes not getting any attention. I know the fairly recent algorithm change of Instagram has a lot to do with it, with the larger accounts getting more screen time based on likes, but it's still placing people out of sight and unnoticed. That's what made me turn away from it. The sheer fact that even when I had decent pins to trade these people, I got turned away quickly, because my value system was wrong or my values were wrong, or I didn't have good enough pins. I didn't care about the pins I had, but what upset me was the way that these pin accounts behave towards a pin trading "nobody" like me. Almost like I was a peasant without cause. And it hurts. Especially when you know you've been in the game longer than they have probably, or that they disregarded you completely based on your traders.

I haven't made a single trade with someone on pinstagram without the other person getting the better end of the trade deal. Now I can say no, I know, but when you rarely get trades and you know your pins are good enough, and you have too many people that say no, it's gets old and discouraging so I said yes more than I should have. I know values play a big part in trading, this isn't my first rodeo, but it does get cheeky when the other person insists on having the better deal than you. I miss the days when edition size and exclusivity made trades, not what the pin is currently "Going for" on that auction site. I miss looking at a pin, seeing you have something the other person wants and then you both trade and walk away happy. When did things get so complicated? When did it become a money race? Meeting pin values based on how much it sold for lately. At that point you're pretty much a stock broker, trading money for more money.

Anyway, my rant is over. I'll get off my soapbox. I had that frustration building up for awhile. I miss the fun of pin trading. That's all. It's just unfortunate that most of my trading experiences haven't been fantastic. I'm not a bad or dramatic person I swear! Just take me back to 2006, when pin trading was better (in my opinion)

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

2. tiffychann

tiffychann Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

100 percent! I have a pinstagram too but I hardly use it these days for the same reasons. Funny thing is I posted a ramble (possibly a rant, but I choose not to call it that) about how I’ve been feeling about pins lately and...it’s come to a point where trading doesn’t make any sense to me anymore. It doesn’t make sense to me where someone wants a $100 pin from me (for their collection) and I want a $120 pin from them and they “would rather just buy it for that price”.

Being in California I’ve met a handful of these people in person and I understand the reasoning behind wanting to just get the better end of the deal. What discouraged me was people only going after whatever they can sell or hoard (there are some serious hoarders on IG) to manipulate value. I like to add variety in my books and it was disappointing to see that people didn’t appreciate them unless they were hot, sell-able or had potential to go up in value.

A lot of the big players say things like “fire traders” and it makes me roll my eyes, honestly. And unfortunately, IG is just built where it forces you to brag in order to gain more attention. The extent of which people brag or show off makes the experience more off-putting. But that’s a big California thing. California is about “the have’s and the have not’s”. I choose to not play up to the way others behave and so there’s only a handful of IG people I enjoy trading with. And honestly, some of the best trades I had are when we don’t talk about value or bring up ebay at all.

At first I didn’t care who I was trading with as long as that person had what I wanted, but now I consider the person first before the pin. There are just some people I’d rather not give my time to because it’s not worth the stress and frustration dealing with them, and I’m fine getting the pin I want from someone else who doesn’t give me any of that, even if that’s months or years from now.

I’ve definitely had better interactions elsewhere whether that’s on FB and pinpics, and even at in person events too. So I don’t feel as disgruntled when I’m not having a lot of success on one platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I absoulutely feel this! I have a pinstagram which I use a lot, perhaps more than DPF and I've struggled some with getting trades. I'm eternally on a tight budget and I've watched people blow through what's like my yearly pin budget in a night of sales which is a little disheartening. I don't have that many higher end pins(WDI, DEC, DSSH) simply because I can't afford them so I'm definitely not able to trade among that higher ring of traders you were talking about.

I absolutely agree with @tiffychann about those big traders and hoarders with their mountains of profiles and gold frames(no tea no shade but they do always seem to be Californian). They're always the first ring of people you see coming onto Pinstagram and that's always disheartening but I've found a couple groups of pin sellers and traders that are just great people and I trade with them when I can but they're really just fun to be around which is why I go back to my pinstagram so often. And once you get to know people, I've found they're more willing to trade with you. I definitely understand your frustrations though, because there is that large group of people that places value so heavily on money and so little on fun and collecting that it's quite bothersome.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TheGreatGonzo and slbrabham like this.
  4. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    529   0   0

I have a pinstagram but rarely use it. I think I log in once a week, if that. It used to be once a month.

TheGreatGonzo likes this.
  5. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    117   0   0

I have not tried setting up a pinstagram account, so I have not familiarity with this platform. But I did try setting up an account on Instagram once and the whole system just confused me. I didn't get how it even really worked, so I gave up. Sticking to DPF, Pinpics, and the in person events for trading works well for me.

Sharing: I think I saw one of these hoarders at an in person event and I wonder if they are also the same people you refer to on Pinstagram. At an event at DLR (the one held by a private group at the Holiday Inn 2X/year), I recall these traders with one of those large plastic bins (~3X2X2feet). Every pin I could see in the bin was a WDI profile pin. Made it look like the entire bin was full of WDI profile pins. Were these the described hoarders to drive up prices…? The descriptions above help me make a bit more sense about their motivations. They certainly didn't seem to have any interest in trading away the profiles even though they had so many (and I did approach them to try.)

This thread is making me sad about a pastime I really enjoy...

Bottom line for me, avoid the negative energy in this hobby (I tell myself to 'walk away' when interacting with people described above) and focus on the positive. For the most part, this mantra allows me to continue to love this hobby.

6. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

I agree with many points in the previous posts, especially about the group of pin hoarders. I do follow many of the “fire traders” because I like to see the pins. It did appear to me that many of them appear to just trade the WDI profiles and other “fire” pins among themselves.

I’ve made several great trades on IG, but I’ve never tried to trade with those “top tier fire” traders :rolleyes:. I’ve also had people disregard my trade offers. I try to remember some words of advice from this very site. “It’s always okay to say ‘no’ to a trade” and “be patient.”

I haven’t completed numerous IG trades, but I’ve had two types of trades. Some people want to trade by eBay value. If that’s how you want to trade, more power to you. That’s not my favorite way to trade, but if you send me a picture of an eBay sold price for your pin I’m going to send one back at you for my pin. I dislike when a trader values his/her pin at the higher end of spectrum and mine at the lower end. That’s a deal breaker for me. I usually say something like “sorry we are far apart and maybe we can trade another time.”

The other type of trade is more like in person trading. A favorite IG trade was the recent trade I posted here with the PatF anniversary strip and BatB ptd. She posted a board of traders and I sent pics of my books. I circled what I liked, and she did the same. We pretty much traded pin for pin. It wasn’t a this pin is worth this much and your pin is worth that much. We messaged back and forth until we both were happy. :D

Final thought on IG trading: My best trades are usually from people not doing a great deal of selling on their site. If I do trade with someone who does resale pins, I keep that in mind.

7. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.9%
    47   1   0

I have a pinstagram and I've only traded once. I had a really positive experience and I felt like we both got a good deal on the trade. But I tend to shy away really quickly from things that could be shady.

I don't really post my traders on it tho. It's more of a public diary of the pins I've traded for or bought.

On the note of Cali traders bragging. This guy came to Florida and had 3 Ariel profiles and said his sister and their friends bought them for him. Made me so mad that there was none for non-Cali CMs to purchase. I will never trade for that pin, because I believe people are way hyper-inflating the price (and they should have made it an online release in the first place). That was my mini-rant.

8. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Yep, a lot of those hoarders go to the Holiday Inn events. I feel the majority of everyone there is a seller more than a trader.

Another thing that really bothers me is that one’s popularity on IG is taken so seriously that it affects your ability to trade. Speaking of the Holiday Inn event (the one in Anaheim; not the Orlando one), at the October event I had a table set up and I was disappointed that many of these people whom I had come across on IG didn’t want to swing by and look at my books. They only visit their friends or people known to have “fire”. I sat with someone who’s been in the game for 20 years, he’s not on FB or IG, but people were visiting him and leafing through his books all day. I’m not a big trader on IG, brought about 4-5 books that day, and I was lucky to get someone to go through maybe 1 before moving on. I had a good variety of stuff ranging from WDI to Auctions too. At the end of the event, I only made 2 trades: one during the event and another right after it ended. They were good trades but it wasn’t worth the 8 hours of sitting, 50 mile drive and fee I had to pay for the table.

The reality is many of those with “fire traders” do not buy those pins at cost. They buy collections in bulk or buy from live sales. I never buy traders off eBay or buy a collection with intent to resell, every pin I buy is at cost (I’m fortunate to live close to Soda Fountain and have a CM friend who is willing to buy me CM pins at cost) and so that’s why I may not have a lot of fire compared to others.

Final thing is IG seems to be the major trend setter of what’s hot for pins and everyone just starts to follow the trend. The DSSH cuties were never really that popular until a bunch of IG users worked together to over-hype them. At the February Soda Fountain sweetheart event, I heard one guy say “thank you” to one of the guys who worked hard for making the cuties a big deal so they would sell for higher. Couldn’t stop myself from rolling my eyes.

9. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    71   0   0

Elitism in pin trading? No way! [read: sarcasm]
    It is super real, unfortunately. California mentality described is super real and I hate to say it, it’s a solid SoCal thing. I don’t feel that so much in the NorCal trading events...just my observation.

TheMickeyMouseRules and akarih like this.
  10. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

That explains a little bit about the cutie trend to me, never did get the hype around those...

11. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Figaro Fan >^..^<

Rating - 100%
    155   0   0

I have a “pinstagram” (@SoraPandora) that I share photos of my collection on, but I almost never trade on IG or FB.

I agree that there are a lot of elitists on social media. And a lot of the people that are friendly and willing to make a trade are also new/uneducated, so I end up pointing them to the forum to learn more about the hobby.

This place is a treasure trove of information. I can’t imagine the frustration of starting out on Instagram, with all the conflicting information and dishonesty.

12. Pecosace

Pecosace Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I don't have a pinstagram and don't see myself getting one anytime soon or ever since I enjoy these forums (which I'm very glad I found) and in-person trading. At the parks though a lot of traders seem aggressive and intimidating which can be off-putting to a lot of people. These instagram accounts seem similar to the in-park traders that have an 'elitist' mindset which is discouraging. Whenever I'm at the parks I always enjoy looking at others pins just to see what is out there but it does get disheartening when traders put your pins down. I have made several in-park trades and am satisfied with them and don't let past negative experiences get me down and I look forward to doing more in the future!

akarih and TheMickeyMouseRules like this.
  13. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

I don’t post my traders, but I do like to see who is trading. I post my pins that I’ve received as a way to provide a kind of reference system for others to see about other traders and myself.

@tiffychann
    I do agree that IG trading is a bit like high school with the Mean Girls.

Side Bar: You are a great trader with really nice pins so don’t feel down. It’s their loss.

14. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    117   0   0

Yes, the cuties (in my view - as someone who does not go on Instagram) are of average popularity. And it totally depends on the character. I am still trying to trade for the DSSH Oogie Boogie cutie to maintain my completist status for the cutie villains (without any luck because the OB popularity soared after that release.) Those who have OB want so much for it. I cannot for the life of me figure out why he is so rare on eBay (but perhaps guessing its this hype and hoarding thing?) Making it a name your price game.

So if some on IG are able to drive demand by playing games, did they try to do this with the overall popularity of DSSH pins? I have heard a couple of comments about how DSSH pins are waning in their popularity (which based on how many people are still showing up for releases is odd to me.) Makes me wonder if someone is playing DSSH down in order to obtain lots of DSSH pins (the hoarder) and then they will play DSSH pins back up when they have them all?

Time for some lessons in critical thinking. Pin traders need to be able to see through all the crap.

akarih, Pecosace and slbrabham like this.
  15. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

Two things for the moment:

A. Is "pinstagram" just an instagram account where you focus on pins?
    B. Awesome new profile pic @SoraPandora !

SoraPandora likes this.
  16. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

I have an IG account just for pins. I try to keep my pin life separate so non-Disney friends and family don’t realize I am crazy for collecting little pieces of metal. They know about it but it won’t show up in their feeds. I usually only tag my sisters on my “pinstagram.”

starry_solo and SoraPandora like this.
  17. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

Me too lol. One account for being a crazy Disney nerd, one for being a composed school student

18. akarih

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I so agree with @SoraPandora, I'm so grateful to have started here where everyone gave me a full pin education before I got into the wild giant world of Instagram pin people.

tiffychann, SoraPandora and slbrabham like this.
  19. slbrabham

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

Pins on Instagram is kinda like the Wild West at times. You’ve got speculators, “pin Barons,” “metal rushes,” bushwhackers, thieves, charlatans, and liars with some good honest folk just trying to make some trades.

TheMickeyMouseRules and akarih like this.
  20. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

People are hoarding the Oogie. I saw one guy on Instagram who has like 80 or so already last time I checked. Yeah... this is just one person. I think a lot of people hopped on it too because they felt Oogie had “potential to be more”. I hope you find one in the midst of this practice. Hoarding doesn’t always work - I’ve seen it backfire too. There was one guy hoarding Judy Hopps profiles. He had like 50 or so thinking he could make it skyrocket but I think they didn’t go as high as he wanted which is why he doesn’t do it anymore. I heard all this through the grapevine.

Another girl was hoarding the Rolly Cursive Cutie, and so that pin came out to be much higher than I and other anticipated, which didn’t make sense because Marie and Pua were way more popular in that set.

And thank you @slbrabham - you are one of the handful of people on IG I enjoy interacting with!

21. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    93   0   0

So, I have a pin-focused IG account (pinnerdo if you don't already know) and I have made quite a few good quality trades there. I have also been turned down plenty of times and I've (politely) turned down numerous requests. Sometimes there's just not a trade/want match. The same is true of my life on PinPics, and trading in person, and even here. Are there people who only have/care about the rarest pins and will totally look down their nose at anything else? Sure. Ffffff.....ortunately you can just ignore them. Are there also folks who will shark you if you give them the slightest opportunity to do so? Ffffff....orget them. But that's not unique to IG or some new thing. That has been the case since the very first days of pin trading and throughout every pin trading method. The specific pins that are considered the most "valuable" have changed over time, but the nature of trading hasn't. Certainly some environments are more friendly and supportive, like our wonderful home here on the forum. But you can find nice traders and bully traders everywhere. As others have said, ignore them, say No Thanks, move on, etc. But you can find good people to trade with everywhere as well.

22. SoraPandora

SoraPandora Figaro Fan >^..^<

Rating - 100%
    155   0   0

A. Yep, “pinstagram” is just a nickname for Instagram, when focused on pins.
    B. Thank you!

coblj003 and Ajk like this.
  23. tiffychann

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0

Yes... and it’s important to know that IG is not representative of the entire world of pin traders. Some pin traders don’t even like the stuff people go crazy about on IG. It’s always really refreshing to trade with people who aren’t asking for the same things that everyone else is asking for.

24. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.9%
    47   1   0

I met this older gentleman at the pin event 2 years ago and he had a bunch of older pins. I was trying to get more magical musical moments, so I just kept trading with him. At the end he was like, "everyone young always passes me by, thanks for spending some time with me." So, I sent everyone I knew to go trade with him, because we weren't all looking for those big pins.

Like, pins are about community to me not making the trade. It made me sad that people were passing this guy up because he had older mostly OE pins.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

25. movingthestars

movingthestars Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    113   0   0

This thread is great. I've actually never made a trade off IG before, but it seems pretty intimidating looking at everyone's trader/ISO highlights. I haven't traded in what feels like a million years anyway, although I'd love to get back into it... I think I should probably start here. That being said, I made a separate IG to only post pin stuff, so add me if you want: movingthestarspins or my personal which is pin-free: movingthestars

Wow, this makes soooo much sense. Just yesterday I was asking myself, why are those pins so popular?