Main Street Electrical Parade is back!!!

splashmtnman

All Wet and Sad
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
main-street-electrical-parade-premiere-02-16x9-5661491.jpg

Main Street Electrical Parade to Celebrate 50th Anniversary With Return to Disneyland in 2022​

The Main Street Electrical Parade turns 50 next year, and Disney is celebrating by bringing the beloved classic back to Disneyland.

The parade is returning alongside Fantasmic! and World of Color, all of which were announced today at Destination D23.

Get out your pins...

CoryTheRaven

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Y'know, I've never seen it actually ON Main Street. I've seen it in California Adventure and I've seen it in front of the castle at WDW, but never actually on Main Street at Disneyland. I might have to actually go to Disneyland in 2022 now :D

Story

PinPics : writerkay
Rating - 100%
280   0   0
Y'know, I've never seen it actually ON Main Street. I've seen it in California Adventure and I've seen it in front of the castle at WDW, but never actually on Main Street at Disneyland. I might have to actually go to Disneyland in 2022 now :D

I highly recommend it! It’s such a sweet parade and a part of Disneyland’s history, even if the floats have gotten smaller thru the years.

For our family… I have very early memories of it being our family’s staple when we would go, and I remember when the first farewell in 96 happened, we were able to squeeze in an trip just so our little sister would be there for pics.

Then, our next trip back was in 2001 when it went to California Adventure. We took plenty of trips in between that closure.

Then in 2017, we were there for its ‘farewell’ tour again. Our trips halted during our rebuild

But in 2019, our last short trip to Disneyland was… you guessed it… there to see the Parade again

So I’m hoping personal history repeats itself and maybe we’ll get back for the next year round XD

I also love Paint the Night tho. The way they added the Electrical Parade music made it an instant classic to me. They always get me with the Disney nostalgics that hit close to home ;)

CoryTheRaven

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I highly recommend it! It’s such a sweet parade and a part of Disneyland’s history, even if the floats have gotten smaller thru the years.

For our family… I have very early memories of it being our family’s staple when we would go, and I remember when the first farewell in 96 happened, we were able to squeeze in an trip just so our little sister would be there for pics.

Then, our next trip back was in 2001 when it went to California Adventure. We took plenty of trips in between that closure.

Then in 2017, we were there for its ‘farewell’ tour again. Our trips halted during our rebuild

But in 2019, our last short trip to Disneyland was… you guessed it… there to see the Parade again

So I’m hoping personal history repeats itself and maybe we’ll get back for the next year round XD

I also love Paint the Night tho. The way they added the Electrical Parade music made it an instant classic to me. They always get me with the Disney nostalgics that hit close to home ;)

There is a charming simplicity to the Main Street Electrical parade that Paint the Night was never able to recapture. It was TOO big and loud and brash. There's such a thing as overdoing it... Main Street Electrical Parade doesn't overdo it. It's sweet and small and kind of "outdated," which all makes it wonderful and magical.

Spr175psu

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I'm happy that MSEP is coming back. Back when it was at WDW, our oldest absolutely hated it and we would have to leave the park immediately when she heard the baroque hoedown music starting. But then we were there on the last day of the prior "farewell" tour (like the Rolling Stones of Disney tours)and my daughter was old enough to appreciate the music and simplicity of the track I guess.

We all loved Paint the Night and it's sad that we'll have to go back to Hong Kong to see it. Unfortunately for my oldest, we did a trip just my wife and I both for the DLR 60th and Pixar Fest so she has only seen it at HKDL. I feel like Dreamlights at Tokyo is the perfect balance between MSEP and PTN. I'm not sure we'll do a special trip for MSEP but hopefully it's still around when we go in September.

CoryTheRaven

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
"outdated"? What are you talking about? Unless by outdated you mean some of us may have owned an original 45rpm soundtrack.... well then ok. I agree.
The MSEP is very much a product of the 70's. Its construction is relatively simple (essentially Christmas lights on frames over golf carts) and its soundtrack is very 70's early synth... But it actually works. That's the charm of it. Something like Paint the Night was more technologically advanced, but TOO loud and brash and slick. The MSEP is simple enough to be charming and enjoyable, and it being charmingly outdated actually fits in Main Street. It's not Victorian, but it is nostalgic.

Story

PinPics : writerkay
Rating - 100%
280   0   0
The MSEP is very much a product of the 70's. Its construction is relatively simple (essentially Christmas lights on frames over golf carts) and its soundtrack is very 70's early synth... But it actually works. That's the charm of it. Something like Paint the Night was more technologically advanced, but TOO loud and brash and slick. The MSEP is simple enough to be charming and enjoyable, and it being charmingly outdated actually fits in Main Street. It's not Victorian, but it is nostalgic.

That’s a cool perspective I didn’t think about before. Since it went all thru the park I didn’t really associate it with Main Street in that way but ‘duh’ it is Main Street :D And I totally can see that with the Victorian feel being irreplaceable.

Some of the floats were definitely loud but I had to look at Paint the Night thru my younger nieces perspectives (nephew wasn’t born yet). It connected their movies to the classics and it appealed to me the attempt to honor that. I think the cars one was the one I tuned out but i tune out a lot of things cars except for the ride :p

The one hard thing with Main Street Electrical Parade is that it’s shorter and the track has been changed due to floats and elements being removed. I wish when it was brought back it could go through a restoring process of sorts. Paint the night wasn’t a restoration it was its own thing that took an element of the old but I agree didn’t recapture it.

It’s hard to do update without ruining with Disney, but it isn’t impossible for them. Just look at what they’ve done with the fantasyland dark rides. The little movie glitz and updates to me are sweet and don’t take away from the experience I grew up with while adding something to enjoy :)

noone

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Still have my farewell season namebadge somewhere, along with the light tragic badge. Electric Parade is something special, always loved watching elliot and all the other floats. Such good memories :) Wish they could bring back all of the original floats and remake the ones that have retired, there was just something special about that parade. Now i'm wondering if the soundtrack i have for it was for the original or one of the later versions. Love the 45's reference, reminds me of "turn the page, when you here the chimes ring like this" Still have a few of those around somewhere too. Makes me wonder with the huge LP section at target now will Disney Re-release an Electric Parade LP? May have to dust off my Mickey Disco record box hee hee.