Majestic Steed Series

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by moobers, Sep 9, 2019.

1. moobers

moobers New Member

0   0   0

Hello everyone. I'm new, first post, and here because of an ebay purchase. (Bet you've heard that story beginning before). My mom surprised me with the majestic steed series set from a buyer on Ebay. The price for the pins seemed too good to be true. When they arrived, I got that icky gut feeling that such was the case. I started with a post I found here via google wherein someone had some pins that looked just like some I had gotten. When we brought up to the seller that Burrito has some rough, unfinished edges, theres paint dips and the colors seem off, they flew off the handle proclaiming they never sell fakes. And despite not offering a return policy, nearly demanded we return them because "she'll be able to sell them right away anyway".

Honestly, I don't know what I'm doing. I dont know if I have scrappers or counterfeits. I dont want to support a seller that's taking advantage of people's (like me) ignorance.

There are two Philippes because that was originally the pin I wanted. Philippe has always reminded me of a horse I raised and lost. So when I went to a local event and found one for 50, got it for 40, I had the one I "needed" the most. Y.Y

If you all wouldn't mind, please offer your wisdom and advice on these pins. I am so saddened and stressed over these expensive little pieces of metal. What is it exactly that I have here?

Thank you to everyone who has read through this and are willing to offer me their guidance, experience, advice.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  2. MerlinEmrys

MerlinEmrys Hicitus Pinicus!

Rating - 100%
    561   0   0

Did they come packaged like that? Off their cards and in little baggies?

3. moobers

moobers New Member

0   0   0

They sure did.. Y.Y

Edit: the real Philippe did have his card. He is the Philippe on the right.

Edit2: But now I'm looking at my $40 philippe that did come with a card. I bought him at a collectible shop/booth when I was trying to compare the one I got on ebay (with my extremely limited knowledge and experience). But the card it came with doesn't have the FAC # on it.

Edit3: Seller is claiming that the Philippe I have that looks the most legit appears to her to be fake..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  4. Kerri780

Kerri780 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I have an authentic Kjekk if you wanted to PM some close ups of yours. However, I'd hazard a pretty good guess they are fakes; both Khan and Angus colour stripes down their nose are off/the wrong shade.

moobers likes this.
  5. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    399   0   0

moobers likes this.
  6. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0

Your $40 pin looks just like the one on Pinpics vs the one off eBay looks like his eyebrow disappears below his bangs:

[​IMG]

I believe the difference between the real and fake is the brushed silver look in the background of horse shoe. The fakes didn't bother to give it that final touch.

Edit: also, the FAC # is printed in black, so it can be hard to read against a black backer card. Try flickering the card in the light.

moobers likes this.
  7. moobers

moobers New Member

0   0   0

I see it! Thank you, that's another for the big learning today. The numbers match up.

I would love to hear @Connies_Hobby story on these pins.

So when we say fake do we mean counterfeits? I heard someone mention seconds at the event, where I found the shop that I got real Philippe from. (I love him aside from the bit of mispaint on his nose, which got me nervous when I sent a side by side photo to the very angry seller and she called my 40$ Philippe the dull, fake looking one).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  8. chubs191

chubs191 Beautiful Tomorrow Admirer

Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0

Fake/Counterfeits/Scrappers they're all the same at this point. Either produced from the same factory and thrown away for quality issues or the original mold was stolen or reproduced. If you go to the original listing and it comes from the US and mentions the rare pins were traded for in the park or 100% tradeable: that's a red flag.

At this point, I would say contact eBay, but a lot of their people don't follow the rules and make you return counterfeit products. But go through the process anyway. When it asks for a return reason, just put "seems counterfeit" and return it. This person shouldn't be berating you about wanting to return potentially fake product. If they seem threatening in any way, like they'll leave a bad review, report them.

Kerri780, akarih and moobers like this.
  9. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    527   0   0

Return it. The entire series has been scrapped. If your mother got them for less than $10/pin, it's likely fake (sorry).

I have some of them that I got at a Disney King Pins trading event...said they were real, I have no idea b/c the fakes came out around the same time?

10. pins4twin

pins4twin Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0

I always look at the horseshoes and the designs that frame the name. Your $40 pin has nice clean, clear, distinct shoes and designs. The other pins have sloppy looking shoes and designs. Also, your good pin looks like it has the antique finish, with the background being darker than the other elements.

moobers likes this.
  11. moobers

moobers New Member

0   0   0

Oh it stings worse at 17/pin.. but I agree wholeheartedly about the bottom border. When I was looking at pinpic initially that's what made my heart sink looking at the set (and I didn't even know the cost at the time). I can see how this sort of thing throws people out of the hobby. What was a really kind and genuine gift has turned into a nightmarish learning experience. I've had pins for awhile but didn't know much about collecting. I'm looking back on the starter sets we got that I split in half to trade with cast members...

And I've looked at those pins now and had to hang my head. Hopefully my mom can make a full return on these items. I'm baffled how this seller has 100% positive reviews. Especially after a question about edging threw them into an extremely defensive dialogue.

I really appreciate your guys' advice on this, and just as equally, re-assurance that I've found myself at least one that's legitimate.

Edit: Apologies, I didn't realize what I was doing was wrong. Perhaps I should have just posted a picture? I was seeking clarification because I see some of these pins that appear like the set I bought, but packaged with a card. I understand now how my posts appear. It had occurred to me the seller may not have known either. I didn't know how to better understand what the right thing should look like. I still wanted to collect the set, but didn't want to end up in this situation again. I apologize again for my lack of discretion.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019