Marlin & Corals clutch of eggs!

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by AlaskanMalamute, May 9, 2019.

1. AlaskanMalamute

AlaskanMalamute Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

Not sure if anyone has interest in reef keeping or marine fish breeding but figured I’d share this as it is very exciting for me.

Along with Disney pins I have another hobby Saltwater Husbandry or caring for saltwater aquariums. I currently only have a small nano reef tank running as that’s all my life permits at the moment.

On to the point. In this tank I have a mated pair Amphiprion ocellaris or as most people know them Clownfish or as most kids or Disney fans know them as Nemo fish. I’ve had this pair for about 2 years now. A few days ago the pair started acting a little different. Any time I would try to do anything to the tank the female would immediately hide and the male would attack what ever I was doing. I also took note that the female was much plumper then her normal.

The next day I noticed the male acting strange around a coral patch he had been cleaning off for the past few months. As I looked closer I noticed he was fanning a clutch of eggs with his pectoral fins.

I’ve noticed this type of behavior before but have never found a clutch of eggs. I’m not sure if they have laid eggs before or this is their first time or they moved there hatching spot to the front of the tank.

I’m extremely excited. It’s in a great spot with a whole bunch of coral surrounding them right in the front of the tank.

Anyway thanks for reading here are the pictures. Not the best I took them on my phone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

Omg, that's amazing! I've bred some fresh water fish before, but your fish are gorgeous! I've never seen one with so much white. I am in love with her/him! Keep us updated and let us know how it goes. And seriously, if one of the babies has a small fin, you HAVE to name him Nemo!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

AlaskanMalamute likes this.
  3. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    115   0   0

Wow....love them! Babies - How exciting!

We have a large (60 gallons???) fresh water tank. Mainly African Cichlids and a very large algae eater (who is my favorite).

I'd love to try a saltwater tank sometime down the line.

4. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    392   0   0

Congrats...that is exciting and educational too! I just have a 12 gallon freshwater with guppies and neon danios. The colors on the danios are natural. They look like little highlighter pens LOL

5. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    522   0   0

Congrats on the upcoming additions!

6. khossler

khossler If I go, there's just no telling how far I'll go!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

Oh my gosh!! This is soooo exciting!!!!! I have to know when they hatch!!! I wasn’t sure what I was looking for in the photos then I got to the close up ones and it was so obvious!!! I’m so excited for you!!!! Keep us posted!! EEEEEK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiragigi and AlaskanMalamute like this.
  7. Haunted575

Haunted575 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

Awesome sauce! That’s a lot of eggs.

Glad you don’t have a 24 hour webcam set up cause I’d be watching all the time. lol

8. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0

Can't wait to see the new arrivals. :)

9. MischiefMade

MischiefMade Ghost Dog Trainer

0   0   0

How exciting! Congrats on you new additions!

10. pilcrow

pilcrow

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

That is amazing! I have a fish-only tank (though I had reefs and seahorses once upon a time).There is a pair of clownfish (and a blue tang, among others). My clowns haven’t had eggs, as far as I know (pretty sure someone else in the tank would eat them even if they did).

But they are such aggressive fish! We’ve had to rehome multiple fish because the clowns relentlessly beat them up. They are not even close to the biggest fish in the tank but no one messes with them.

They outgrew their previous owner’s tank so I’m not 100% sure of their age and species, but I think Mrs. Clownfish is a true percula & Mr. Clown is slightly more dubious.

Congratulations!

ETA: Sorry for the rant; I got super excited seeing someone else who likes to talk about fish lol

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    krand1276 and AlaskanMalamute like this.
  11. AlaskanMalamute

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

They are beautiful and one of my favorite breeds of fish! The more white you see or (mis-baring) is from breeding 2 different species of clowns to get this desired mis-baring. This style is known as a Picasso clown.

I will post updates of when they hatch but unfortunately most if not all will not make it. I was unprepared for this clutch and don’t have any brooding equipment set up. We are between days 5 - 8 of the hatching period. They should hatch between 8 - 10 days so anytime.
    Good news is that I know they are spawning and where their spot is. They should reproduce between 100-500 eggs every 2 weeks or so.

Not a rant at all. I figured there has to be others here that have aquariums plus it kind of ties into Disney. And reef keeping is a lot like pin trading now a days with coral frag trade meets and trading through the mail.

Seahorses are amazing. I’ve always wanted to do a seahorse and an octopus tank but don’t have the time to put into it.

They are quite territorial fish. This pair killed off all my peppermint shrimp just before laying these which also alerted me to what was going on. I’d love to see some pictures of your tank if you’re willing.

pilcrow, ItzaPinfan and krand1276 like this.
  12. khossler

khossler If I go, there's just no telling how far I'll go!

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0

I would be tooo!!!!! Haha!

Kiragigi and Haunted575 like this.
  13. Ksnuggles

Ksnuggles Resident Cake Baker Staff Member DPF Moderator DPF Correspondent

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

We have 3 freshwater tanks. A 55 gallon planted tank with fancy tail goldfish and mystery snails. A 10 gallon planted tank with platy fish (currently only a bumblebee and a panda, our Mickey mouse died) and guppies. We have had lots of babies, many have been eaten but we currently have 9 who have survived and are at various stages. Then a 3 gallon betta tank. My husband really loves fishtanks.

AlaskanMalamute and krand1276 like this.
  14. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

Woo! MTS (multiple tank syndrome)! We did that before. We were up to 5 tanks plus betta tanks. Everything from koi and comets to silver tipped sharks (actually are catfish) to black ghost knifefish, peacock eels, down to neon tetras and corys (the corys are the ones that kept breeding). We finally got ourselves to one tank with an angel, a few diamond tetras, a pleco and kuhli loaches.

Just talking about this is making the MTS start itching again.

15. AlaskanMalamute

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

I’ve always wanted to do a planted tank. Setting up and aquascaping is one of my favorite parts of aquariums but they are a ton of work.

MTS! LOL everyone gets it eventually! I have more than a few tanks and random fish tank things in my garage. But it does sound like you need to start up a new tank!

krand1276 likes this.
  16. pilcrow

pilcrow

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Seahorses are awesome! But they are so fragile and slow to catch food. I’ve never had an octopus (or an eel for that matter!)

So my tank is unusual. My photographs are terrible. it’s ~200 gallons and about 3’ tall (and like 4’ off the ground—we have to use a ladder to feed them lol.) It’s a pass through and it photographs really blue even though it totally isn’t. But hopefully you get the general idea from the photos. Please note the giant orange thing is a balloon in the room on the other side XD. [​IMG]

And some of them are being shy :|

[​IMG]
    ...but not the tangs lol

krand1276 and AlaskanMalamute like this.
  17. pilcrow

pilcrow

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Oh god, yeah, I just saw the MTS posts...there may or may not be two more tanks lol

krand1276 likes this.
  18. krand1276

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0

Wow! That is a beautiful tank! And pretty fish too!

AlaskanMalamute and pilcrow like this.
  19. pilcrow

pilcrow

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Thank you! Sometimes I miss having live rock but I’m pretty happy with it overall. the fish have such personalities (Dory is so in-character lol.)

AlaskanMalamute and krand1276 like this.
  20. Ksnuggles

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

My husband loves plants so he only really wanted plants... but I told him we had to have fish not just plants. My ultimate goal is to have a sting ray tank. I love sting rays and want to own a few. However, we do not have a big enough house for the type of tank I want for it. So sadly I have to wait.

All these tanks are beautiful.

21. pretty Omi

pretty Omi Resident Smol Wolf

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

Baby fish doo doo doo doo! Baby fish doo doo doo doo! Baby fish!

momin.ator and khossler like this.
  22. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    79   0   0

Daddy fish doo doo doo doo! Daddy fish doo doo doo doo! Daddy fish!

23. akarih

akarih Meme Lord

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

You have no idea how many times I have heard that song from my classmates..... I need a cleansing ritual and/or an exorcism

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

24. Ksnuggles

Rating - 100%
    43   0   0

I am a substitute teacher and I hear it all the time as well and not just from the little ones.. but the seniors as well.

25. akarih

akarih Meme Lord

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

The memes are everywhere.... the children the seniors, Reddit.... Oh My Disney..... Everywhere lol.... I really don't know why kids songs like that go viral

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk