My First Post

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by basilfan, Mar 24, 2020.

1. basilfan

basilfan Pin Detective

0   0   0

Hello. I joined this site because I'm told this is the current way to trade pins online. I used to trade a lot on PinPics back when it was active and am now seeking a new venue.

2. basilfan

basilfan Pin Detective

0   0   0

So...is this the only place I'm allowed to post? Every other topic I try to post in has neither the button to create a thread nor the one to reply to a post. Is this section of the site my limit?

3. stratasfan

stratasfan Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I know you have to have 30 posts (I believe that's the number) before you can start a topic, but I thought you could reply to others. I think there is a limit to posting the first day. However, I don't think it means one post.

This is a forum filled with nice people, so hope you enjoy it! It is too bad PinPics has been going downhill lately, as it is still the easiest interface. However, this is a good option, too! -grin-

Welcome!

4. basilfan

basilfan Pin Detective

0   0   0

No, I couldn't find any way to post in the topic I just read. No button or anything, unless I'm just not seeing it. Checked upper right, upper left, lower right, lower left.

And until I get the 30, I can't list trade requests, right?

5. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Here are the basics for posting in the marketplace boards:

In order to create a thread in the marketplace forums, the following conditions must be met:
    -Be a member on DPF for at least 10 days
    -Need to have at least 30 posts
    - New members are still allowed to browse and reply to threads in the marketplace (ie. buy or trade with established members) but will not be able to post a new thread to sell or trade their own goods until they have met the above criteria.

However, I haven't been able to find anything about posting right after joining! I'm still looking! Maybe we can trade later!

6. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

To reply . . . scroll down to the bottom of a topic page ---- do you see a spot for typing? that is where the reply would be added.

7. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Hi and Welcome! We're very glad you've joined us! What @stratasfan said is absolutely correct: the restrictions on the Marketplace are only for creating threads until you've met very easily attained criteria, not for responding to existing threads. There should be no reason you shouldn't be able to post freely anyplace here, including the Marketplace. As she explained, you reply to posts by doing the following:

If this doesn't work for you, please let me know and I can investigate your account and see if there is a problem preventing you from posting.

And on a more positive/fun note, do you have a favorite character(s)/theme(s) to collect?

8. basilfan

basilfan Pin Detective

0   0   0

30 posts...oy! Be prepared for a lot of useless drivel. All in this one thread, I guess, unless I can find someplace else that will let me post.

Thanks for the info.

9. basilfan

basilfan Pin Detective

0   0   0

Good news! I've found some threads I can post in and sections where I can create threads. And life is good.

10. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Ditto to @dancecats ! What theme/character appeals to you?

11. basilfan

basilfan Pin Detective

0   0   0

I don't know if you mean in pins or in general, but Basil is my obsession in both. I collect all things Great Mouse Detective, including pins.

I also have a small collection of Three Caballeros pins (I love those guys!) and Uncle Scrooge, but am not trying to get every one or anything like that.

My main pin collection is what I call "stand-alone" characters. Maybe there's a real name for those; I just made that up. I mean a full body character with nothing else on the pin: no words or other characters or background or anything.

When I'm able to post my wants, you'll see it's mostly those.

I'm also making a small collection of steam punk pins. Again, not every one, just 8 or 10 or so.

Thanks for asking.

12. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    113   0   0

LOL... and I am seriously laughing out loud. Thank you for that.

We are all used to the "useless drivel" to use your words.

I am still laughing (tears in eyes too) as I type this.

Welcome!

13. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    113   0   0

Oh and perhaps the place to trade you are referring to is actually:
    pintradingdb.com
    This forum is connected to PTDB in some form, but I have not been around long enough to really know the whole story.

Also will put a plug in for the collectible pin trading app for your phone (and you can also access the info on collectiblepintrader.com)

14. basilfan

basilfan Pin Detective

0   0   0

Thanks, you just made my day.

15. basilfan

basilfan Pin Detective

0   0   0

When I said "someplace else that will let me post," I meant some place on this site. I did join the pintradingdb, but no one every seemed to do anything there. Certainly no one ever answered any of my queries about a possible trade.

I haven't made a trade since November, and it's really getting to me. So I'm branching out from the late, great PinPics, hoping to find some other site to trade on.

So far not one place on Facebook has let me join, let alone trade. Don't know why.

stratasfan likes this.
  16. TheMickeyMouseRules

Rating - 100%
    113   0   0

Yes, my pinpics trades are becoming less and less frequent. I have not traded much (at all?) on pintradingdb.com yet. I think the database needs more members and we need to grow the pin selection. Still way behind Pinpics. But I am helping when I have moments.

If you had messaged me in pintradingdb.com I would have responded.

17. stratasfan

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I've sent tons of messages through PTD, but never a real response. I've had two responses, but only from pin "friends" when we were holding "conversations" through PTD and PinPics at the same time. I still get trades from PinPics. Have to send out a lot of trade requests for everyone you hear back form, but still get trades. Also, works better for getting responses if you actually take the time to send a message to the member, rather than a trade request. Sending a trade request doesn't give the other member an email. Only a number on PinPics messages. Sending a message to the member through PinPics sends it to their email inbox!

Ajk likes this.
  18. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

LOL! Oh my goodness, me too! With everything serious that's going on in the world, I legit need, to use your words, 'useless drivel' right now ... so please, bring it on!

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.
  19. basilfan

basilfan Pin Detective

0   0   0

Ooh, this I did not know. I did note that some messages came to my email and some didn't. Now I know why. Thanks for that useful tip!

20. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

hi basilfan!

21. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    122   0   0

Hi and Welcome!

22. Ajk

Ajk Cocoa asks "Where's all da Hoomans?"

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

Good tip. Thanks!

23. Ajk

Ajk Cocoa asks "Where's all da Hoomans?"

Rating - 100%
    90   0   0

Welcome to the forum! :lgm:

24. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    400   0   0

25. Papaya

Papaya Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Welcome! This forum is a great place, the first site I ever traded on :) Everyone is really friendly, I'm sure you'll love it here!