• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

New member incoming

New member incoming

Riverwhistle

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Greetings from Holland. Currently finishing up a WDW holiday (first timer). Tomorrow is our last day in the parks.

I've been collecting a few pins together with my girlfriend during our visits to Paris. We managed to gather a few pins from DLP (and received a few tradable pins from a friend) to trade in the parks beforehand, making sure to check they're real. It was a fun experience overall, seeing all those pin boards around the parks.

Unfortunately we've managed to trade almost everything we've brought with us for fakes, so that was a bit of a let down. Figured we'd do it right and join a forum to discuss and trade around here do we won't be duped again.

I'm mainly looking for Pocahontas pins for her and I've not decided on what I want to pursue just yet.

Happy to be here and looking forward to meeting you all!

Welcome! I'm still learning how to tell authentic pins from scrappers, though there are some here on the forum who can spot them a mile away. It's definitely frustrating how many pins on the boards in the parks are fakes. I hope you have much better luck tomorrow before you head home!

Welcome.

Your experience is definitely not unique. I did research when we going to DLR 8 years ago. Ended up trading fakes for mostly fakes when I started (...mortifying to realize I was the noob who didn't know better when I started, but it is what it is.) Its sad that most/all pin traders get some version of this as their initiation into the hobby. But you have come to the right place... DisneyPinForum... it is a great place to learn.

I did a quick search for "WDW hidden disney mickey series 1 pins" on one of the pin databases:

Below are pics of hidden Mickey/Disney pins (the most recent). I have not heard these have been faked yet, so if you find any of these tomorrow, trade for them! And Good Luck... let us know how it goes! (The 6th pin in each set (ie, Scar, Firework Castle, Caterpillar, Black Panther, Blue Droid, Frollo Mask) are hard to find completers.)

e4bfb1f5e3ec3ff3df88b84a86c1fb42.jpg
\

016c7f94809822ae4ed52895a86ebaf3.jpg

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome! We're very glad you've joined us and we're looking forward to getting to know you through your posts. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. We all were new once and asking is the best way to learn.

If I might add something regarding the fakes/scrappers, please don't be too hard on yourself. Yes, it's a bit of a letdown to learn that you've traded for dodgy pins, but to be fair, sometimes you just can't tell the pins aren't what they should be until after you've had a chance to examine them closer in your hotel room/at home due to:

1. less than optimal light to view the pin(s) when making the trade
2. no time to properly examine the pin(s) because you and/or the cast member just is in a rush
3. the quality of the dodgy pin(s) is so good that it's difficult to tell that it's questionable until compared to a known legit one

I've been trading pins since circa 2002 and I still accidentally trade for fakes/scrappers on occasion. Is it still frustrating? Yes. The way I see it? If that's the worst mistake I make, I can consider myself fortunate. There's a member here who uses these pins for crafts; I've put aside a pile of these pins and I probably should make arrangements to send them to her sometime this millennium.

I did a quick search for "WDW hidden disney mickey series 1 pins" on one of the pin databases:

Below are pics of hidden Mickey/Disney pins (the most recent). I have not heard these have been faked yet, so if you find any of these tomorrow, trade for them! And Good Luck... let us know how it goes! (The 6th pin in each set (ie, Scar, Firework Castle, Caterpillar, Black Panther, Blue Droid, Frollo Mask) are hard to find completers.)

Thanks a bunch! I'll keep those handy today.

And thanks for the advice, dancecats! My fiancé said the exact same thing . I'll post pictures of them to let the experts take a look, because I might be too hard on myself. And otherwise I'll let this be a lesson.

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone!

Hi everyone!

Greetings from Holland. Currently finishing up a WDW holiday (first timer). Tomorrow is our last day in the parks.

I've been collecting a few pins together with my girlfriend during our visits to Paris. We managed to gather a few pins from DLP (and received a few tradable pins from a friend) to trade in the parks beforehand, making sure to check they're real. It was a fun experience overall, seeing all those pin boards around the parks.

Unfortunately we've managed to trade almost everything we've brought with us for fakes, so that was a bit of a let down. Figured we'd do it right and join a forum to discuss and trade around here do we won't be duped again.

I'm mainly looking for Pocahontas pins for her and I've not decided on what I want to pursue just yet.

Happy to be here and looking forward to meeting you all!
So sorry to hear you traded good pins for scrappers. Hopefully, you had a wonderful time at WDW.

Hello and welcome! Sorry you had such a bad experience at the parks. We have all traded for scrappers sometime in our past. It will get better.

Welcome to the forum. And as others have stated, we've almost all been there. I'm sorry it happened to you.

But, we're glad you joined here! Looking forward to seeing more posts from you.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Oh hey, forgot to mention... Once you're settled back in from your WDW vacation, I highly recommend getting your collection and traders catalogued on PinPics and/or pintradingdb.com, if you haven't already.
They are SO helpful at keeping things organized and indispensable for online trading!

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found it. Sorry to hear about the scrappers, but hopefully it was a fun trip. I have a couple scrappers on my board, actually, as memories of some amazing vacations -- even if the pins turned out to be duds. :) One that I came home with turns out that it's totally not even a scrapper, just an unauthorized Minnie pin. But I didn't know it when trading, and neither did the lady who traded it or the CM who had just added it to the lanyard. We had a wonderful conversation, because the lady who traded it in was a long-time trader but was older and having to move to a small apartment. She could only take a small pin board with her, so her Minnie Mouse collection was getting downsized and she was there with a granddaughter trading for things the little girl wanted. She was rather sorry about the collection, and the little pin was one she particularly liked. When I came up right away and asked to trade for it, she was so excited that someone else who was collecting Minnie was wanting it. Even though it's a scrapper, I had to keep that one! :)

Oh hey, forgot to mention... Once you're settled back in from your WDW vacation, I highly recommend getting your collection and traders catalogued on PinPics and/or pintradingdb.com, if you haven't already.
They are SO helpful at keeping things organized and indispensable for online trading!
I'll definitely do this! Thanks for the tip!

Back