• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

GUIDE New park authentication on pins

According to Disney pins blog, park pins are going to start having a cubic zirconia Mickey head on the back to help ID them as genuine. Anybody encountered this yet? Any guesses how long until it’s faked?

I wonder if this will be added later in the manufacturing process to help with scrappers or if it’s going to be early enough to make no difference there.

I think this must be an early april fools. One Disney doesn't have to money to care about this stuff right now. Two the example picture doesn't even look like a mickey head cause the stones for the ears are to big and too far apart. And they wouldn't impliment it as three stones and then go to one stone latter as again then the 3 stones wouldn't meet the criteria for authentic. Also CM's wouldn't be allowed to tell guests they can't take there pin because its fake so Disney wouldn't invest in this. The whole thing seems like a bad joke that posted early. I call April Fools.

Additionally looking at the sample photo the line around the "authenication" mark isn't the same thickness as the outline around the main disney info box on the back of the pin.

FWIW, Jess Willis posted about it on her IG account, so I don’t think it’s a joke.

No wonder pin prices are going up. Seems like a rather crazy idea, actually. And I agree with @TheMickeyMouseRules - Just something else to work on keeping tabs on and something that will in the end be a nothing thing. Scrappers may suffer first of, but they'll get a fake version that will look the same or better than Disney's in the end. At least it won't affect pins from the front. But that would explain the 20% increase in all pins in the last short time.

It won't work any more than any authentication attempt has in the past. As long as the same factories that are producing the real pins are producing the fake pins, they have access to all the materials.

I appreciate the thought, but it seems like the people coming up with the latest ideas have no reference/background on why the previous attempts failed. When they keep laying off the people who know what they're doing...

It isn't a fake. We were at the Animal Kingdom Lodge gift shop yesterday, and there was a new pin card that had two pins on it (one pin is Kevin and Dug, the other pin is Carl with Baby KEvin on his head), and I got it. Undid the pin backs to see if it had it and there it is. It is really tiny, really cheap feeling, and rather odd to have a lump on the back of the pin. But it is there. On at least one other pin we bought, too. So, I think it will just be one more thing to keep track of. You can't tell it isn't metal, actually. It just looks like a lumpy metal mickey head shape on the back of the pin.

It isn't a fake. We were at the Animal Kingdom Lodge gift shop yesterday, and there was a new pin card that had two pins on it (one pin is Kevin and Dug, the other pin is Carl with Baby KEvin on his head), and I got it. Undid the pin backs to see if it had it and there it is. It is really tiny, really cheap feeling, and rather odd to have a lump on the back of the pin. But it is there. On at least one other pin we bought, too. So, I think it will just be one more thing to keep track of. You can't tell it isn't metal, actually. It just looks like a lumpy metal mickey head shape on the back of the pin.

So does it prevent the pin from sitting flush on whatever you push the pin into to keep your collection? (i.e. pinbag or pinfolio or corkboard etc.) Curious if is going to cause more stress to be on the pin post or not?

So does it prevent the pin from sitting flush on whatever you push the pin into to keep your collection? (i.e. pinbag or pinfolio or corkboard etc.) Curious if is going to cause more stress to be on the pin post or not?
I don't think it is going to affect it, as it does not stick out farther than the nubs around the pin post. I'll look at it closely tomorrow and see how it pins on and let you know! :)

Here is an example of one.
e1d6672f6a82ec34e9d8177d67a85f2d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I have no issues with the pins sitting on their boards with the new authentication jem. It doesn't really make a huge difference but I do like that there are added words and symbols with the Unified 100 characters.

Can you actually touch the stones that make up the Mickey, or is there a clear resin or something covering it? (Kinda looks like that in the photo, but can't tell if it's just an odd reflection or not...)

Can you actually touch the stones that make up the Mickey, or is there a clear resin or something covering it? (Kinda looks like that in the photo, but can't tell if it's just an odd reflection or not...)
They're sort of inset? But I don't think there's a coating over them overall.

I happened to trade for one of the new pins last week. Here are some pics for reference:

waTX3SL.jpg
This is the front of the pin just to show which one it is.

2eGAAve.jpg
9k3Y3OZ.jpg

Back