• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

New Pins Coming On-line!....MYSTERY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, I thought Disney no longer cared about pin trading...

While I like the idea, $40 for 3 pins may be a bit much. If they are pins you want or decent traders, it's fine, but there are a lot of themes people don't care about, and OE trading is not a priority for most. I'd give it a try, but with LE500, successfully ordering will probably not happen (does this mean we have to be up Thursdays at midnight now?)

True...it isn't cheap, but you do get 2 OE pins before they hit shelves...which will let you get trading ASAP lol...and you also get the LE 500 that is only available online...I will probably get it on the 14th (it is my birthday after all) and see what I get!

I think this is very expensive considering we in the UK le 500 pins go for £9 and just 2 open edition pins that's not much at all for $40 that is one very expensive box! Why don't they take a leaf out of the UK pins and just do regular releases like we do every other week this works fine so why not in the USA?

I don't think the price is *too* terribly excessive considering that the LE pin will have two embellishments and OE pins are $8 each minimum at the parks. It's still a bit high for not knowing even what movie or genre the pins are from.

I will probably have to skip getting this first box as I will be without internet next week, so unless I am staying over at my friend's house that night I won't be able to get online to purchase it.

In any case, I look forward to seeing what comes from these boxes.

I think that this is in response to a lot of those subscription websites like LootCrate or the Marvel Collector's club (I think it's called?) type companies. I don't think it's something I'm going to get right away, but maybe I will once on my birthday month! Seems like an exciting surprise.

I think that this is in response to a lot of those subscription websites like LootCrate or the Marvel Collector's club (I think it's called?) type companies. I don't think it's something I'm going to get right away, but maybe I will once on my birthday month! Seems like an exciting surprise.

This was my idea EXACTLY.

And i'm very excited for this. If it is a subscription based thing I'm down for it.

Plus i think the point they're trying to get across too is if you aren't into it...they are called TRADING pins..

For me I considered this:

I assume shipping is included (most subscription/mystery boxes have it included)

an LE 500 isn't bad and with it being pin on pin or some gimmick it might be a 12 - 15$ pin at normal retail

OEs average 10$ (7.99 - 14.99 right or is it 13.99?) so not bad

2 pins before anyone else gets them.

Pins are guaranteed to not be scrappers (Is this NOT a plus for anyone? XD)

Pins mostly likely will be sought after the boxes release, since they're all new pins i highly doubt any of them will be "junky".

Obviously it's a gamble...but it's kind of a REALLY neat way for newbies to pin trading or people who aren't close to the parks to get some neat new traders monthly!

I love this idea and would definitely consider getting it but $40 is kinda steep for me

I definitely think this will be a turn off for a lot of people. One of the things that sites like loot crate does is "Mystery items of a minimum $40(ish) dollar value for $20(ish) dollars!"

Now obviously it's going to be different with the pins, since I'm guessing they're making you pay a premium in order to get the pins before everyone else. If you're calculating the face-value cost of the box, (it really depends on the OE's, which will probably range from $8 to $13 once they're released to the public, and if you apply the same logic to the LE) the total "face-value" will be about $24-$39. Most likely it'll be on the lower side, but best case scenario you'll get close to what you pay for.

If they included another pin, even if it was just a previously released OE, then I would probably be a lot more enthusiastic about the idea. 4 pins for $40, with one of them being an LE 500 isn't that bad in my opinion. But with the three pins that it is now, you're paying about $13.50 a pin. (And that's not including shipping, unless the price includes shipping.)

I do think that they're going to make this first box extra special though, since they're going to want to drum up a lot of interest.

A way to get LE pins away from the parks with a release date actually announced in advance? I'm thrilled. Compared to the secondary market (which is usually our only option), this is a bargain. I can't afford it every month, but I will save my pennies and take advantage when I can.

ETA: The blog specifically says the price includes shipping.

Last edited:
Just kidding! I retract a bit of my last post. On the website it says:

Jeanne told me the limited edition pins are part of a series and may include characters from animated features or attractions at Disney Parks. The limited edition pins will also have two embellishments (like pin-on-pin or special fills) making them a great collectible item.

So that'll probably bump up the face value of the LE, and since the cost does include shipping (and tax?) the $40 is reasonable. It's not a steal, but it's reasonable.

Edit: According to the PinPics FB, " The first Park Pack releases on May 14th at 12:00am PDT"

Get your shopping carts ready.

Last edited:
Cool! I might wait until month #2 just so I can see how the first month looks but this could be a great way for us poor people living far from Disney parks to get some pins. :D

A way to get LE pins away from the parks with a release date actually announced in advance? I'm thrilled. Compared to the secondary market (which is usually our only option), this is a bargain. I can't afford it every month, but I will save my pennies and take advantage when I can.

ETA: The blog specifically says the price includes shipping.

Is it though? I kind of assume that OE pins won't really have much value beyond current OE price points, in that most people "will just wait until the pin is officially released, when they can buy it with their Disney Visa, AP discount, etc." Especially, among those holding the pins most people want (SoCal folks, and others near parks). Then you are basically paying $40 for a LE500 pin. Fine if it's Frozen. But you can buy many DSSH pins of a similar LE for less than $40.

I would just caution that this may not be the "help" people not located by a theme park think it could be. Especially if releases are for less popular movies, have too many words on them, etc. It seems like a good way to overpay for pins, and end up with a bunch of traders that no one wants.

Is it though? I kind of assume that OE pins won't really have much value beyond current OE price points, in that most people "will just wait until the pin is officially released, when they can buy it with their Disney Visa, AP discount, etc." Especially, among those holding the pins most people want (SoCal folks, and others near parks). Then you are basically paying $40 for a LE500 pin. Fine if it's Frozen. But you can buy many DSSH pins of a similar LE for less than $40.

I would just caution that this may not be the "help" people not located by a theme park think it could be. Especially if releases are for less popular movies, have too many words on them, etc. It seems like a good way to overpay for pins, and end up with a bunch of traders that no one wants.

Oh, I plan to be cautious and see how this goes. But note the beginning of my sentence: Compared to the secondary market, it's a bargain. Or can be. Yes, the mystery element makes it a risk, but I personally love mystery boxes. It's not always just about the trade value. Sometimes it's just about the chance to have some fun with this hobby.

Oh, I plan to be cautious and see how this goes. But note the beginning of my sentence: Compared to the secondary market, it's a bargain. Or can be. Yes, the mystery element makes it a risk, but I personally love mystery boxes. It's not always just about the trade value. Sometimes it's just about the chance to have some fun with this hobby.

This. I want ot order these because it will help my grandma. I try my best to get her things and she loves getting mail, mystery boxes and pins, and this is a great opportunity for her.

Consider these comparisons:

A current park comparison might be the GenEARation D countdown pins. LE500, mix of characters, special elements. The cheapest sold listing on eBay I saw was $18 (not including shipping). Most were in the mid-$20s and even into the low $30s, again without shipping. Buying one of those and two new rack pins could easily cost $40 on the secondary market. I'm not comparing it to retail price because I currently have no way of getting pins at retail price.

As another comparison, imagine if someone on the forum was running a pin game. Spots are $20 (including shipping). You're guaranteed an LE500 and two new rack pins. I think a lot of people would buy a couple of spots. No, you wouldn't get your pick of pins, but the fun would be the chance to get something worth more than what you paid.

So much this.

I'm sure to anyone who participated in the DA days or anyone who has ever had regular access to park releases, this seems like a bad deal. But some of us are desperate for any direct access to pins we can get!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back