New to Disney Pin Forum; Pin Trading since 2009

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Donald Duck Trader, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Donald Duck Trader

Donald Duck Trader New Member

0   0   0

Hello everyone!

New to the Disney Pin Forum, I look forward to sharing collections and pin sets.

I started my pin trading in 2009 when I saw the Hidden Mickey Alphabet Pin Set at Walt Disney World. I was able to trade for 25/26 during the week long Disney trip. I have been hooked ever since.

I continue to grow my collections. I started with the alphabet, then Donald Duck, then Villains, then Princess, and has grown completely out of control. But it is so much fun.

My favorite place to look for pins is on the Disney Cruise Ships. You get people from all over the world who go on the Disney Cruises, so the pin trading binders and boards usually have pins from Disney Parks around the world. Also, the pin trading event with the Cruise Crew always has excellent pins.

Happy Trading Everyone

2. Ajk

Ajk Not so new anymore.

Rating - 100%
    67   0   0

Welcome to the Forum! :lgm:

3. MischiefMade

MischiefMade Ghost Dog Trainer

0   0   0

Welcome to the Forum! I had never thought of pin trading on the cruises (not that I have been on a Disney Cruise, but I am an avid Cruiser/traveler).

4. swscref

swscref Active Member

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0

Welcome to DPF!

5. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    394   0   0

Welcome:lgm:

6. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    118   0   0

Hi and Welcome! I have only been on one Disney cruise and it was before I was pin trading/collecting. It was an amazing experience though and hope to cruise again with Disney.

7. Donald Duck Trader

Donald Duck Trader New Member

0   0   0

Thank you everyone!

8. jadeites-lady

jadeites-lady Bookworm Belle

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0

9. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Welcome! I've never thought of looking for pins on a Disney cruise - and I've been on far more than I care to admit. If I had to explain why, it would be a combination of the limited luggage allowed plus expecting few trading opportunities (and how often can the cast refresh their pin books/lanyards while at sea?) combined with my primary focus being the cruise itself and not pin trading. I just figured that bringing trading pins really wasn't worth my while ... which as I write this, I realize it seems pretty lame and I probably should bring at least a handful of pins on my next cruise (whenever that is) and see how it works out for me.

10. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0

Ummm… there are pin trading events on Disney Cruise Ships? Yikes! Now I want to go on a Disney Cruise.

Welcome to the forum. :mickey:

11. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I wouldn't call it pin trading events, per se (unless I've totally missed something, which I wouldn't put past me). Way back when, DCL used to host pin trading events comparable to what WDW/Epcot has every August/September in conjunction with WDW Event Services. I believe the last one might have been in 2005 (?), but that's what I would consider a pin trading event, not what DCL currently does.

As I recall, the stores have pin books and (I think) trading boards - and I seem to recall that the cast members who work in the stores would wear lanyards. They do have an officer's pin trading night, which is exactly what it sounds: a group of officers wear lanyards and trade pins with guests (and yes, they do sell pins for guests who want to participate but may not have trading pins of their own). However, you'll have to check the Navigator for the time and location; it isn't very long and it's doubtful you'll stumble onto it by accident.

That being said, IMO being able to pin trade on a cruise is only a small reason to go on a Disney Cruise. I know I don't cruise just for the pin trading (sacrilege for a pin trader, I know). But that being said, I've always had extremely positive experiences on DCL and would recommend them; PM me if you have any questions.