• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

New to forum (and pin collecting), so popping in to say "hello"

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to forum (and pin collecting), so popping in to say "hello"

GeorgeT93

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my name is George and I recently started collecting Disney pins. I live near Orlando and am an annual passholder, so I go to the parks very frequently. I had said to my wife that I would *not* get into pin collecting, but during Star Wars Weekends this year, I had to get the event poster pin, as well as the passholder pin. I told her that was all I was going to get, and placed them on my camera bag strap. Then they started the Frozen event at Hollywood Studios, and, well, I just love Olaf, so I had to get the Olaf pin. Since it was my 3rd pin, it sat too high on my camera bag's strap, so I decided to get a lanyard. From there, I just started getting more pins, and well, here I am lol! My collection is still quite small, and my focus is primarily on special events that I attend (like the recent Villains Unleashed event), the monorails, and the rides I enjoy the most. I'm enjoying the hobby, and have gotten into quite a few conversations with other pin collectors/traders and cast members at the parks since I started, that were all very nice.

In any case, I stumbled upon this site while I was searching google for more information about the "Best Friends Mystery Pin Set", as I just picked up my first mystery bag this weekend, and was hoping to find information about how long it has been available, so I could try and estimate how much time I may have to try and complete the set through mystery bag purchases. Anyhow, my google search wound up leading me to this site, and the thought of interacting with other folks who enjoy the hobby seemed like a good idea so I decided to join.

So that's my story, and how I wound up collecting pins, and how I wound up finding this site. I look forward to learning more and talking with others who enjoy the hobby as well, as it seems like such a great way to "show your Disney side" when at the parks, and also a great way to meet others that enjoy the pins as well. :)

-George

Welcome George!

Hope to keep seeing you around the forum, I've learned a lot from the great people here, and there always seems to be lots of trading, games, sales etc going on!

I haven't paid much attention to that set, so can't answer your question, but I'm sure someone else will add their 2 cents :)

Michelle

If you look it up on PinPics.com it will tell you when the pins were released. If you mean the round pins, I have these for sale or trade if you need them.

It says they came out in May 2012

Hi Rocke01, yes, that is the set I've started working on. I'm going to be picking up another mystery bag (or two) this weekend to hopefully get the set more filled in (and a few doubles to hopefully trade), then I'll have a better idea of what I have and what I need, as I've only got one package (5 pins) in the set so far. :) Thanks for the info, and I'll get back to you after this weekend once I have a better idea of what I'll be needing to complete the set. :)

-George

Hi George, aren't you lucky living so close to Disney! I lived off obt for a few years and loved being so close, but now I would have to make a whole day to plan my trip there.

Hi threeshelle, I definitely consider it lucky that we live so close to Disney. It's literally a 30 minute drive from my driveway to the parks, and I take full advantage of my annual pass, as we tend to go to one of the parks every weekend (at least). In fact, in the last year, there were only two weekends that we didn't go! I originally avoided the whole pin collecting/trading, as I was extremely overwhelmed by the sheer number of pins that are not only currently available, but also seeing how many different pins had been released over the years (as we saw the boards of them up on the walls down in the utilidors when we took the Keys to the Kingdom tour.) But during Star Wars Weekends, I just had to have the Mickey in an X-Wing logo pin, and then had to get the Annual Passholder Chewbacca pin. I insisted to my wife that I only wanted them because I love Star Wars, but she knew better and told me that I was going to wind up getting more pins. As usual, she was right lol! I've now got a lanyard with my favorite current pins on it (as well as a couple of common pins as traders in case a cast member has a pin I really like), and actually just bought my first (small) pin book/bag this past weekend (when I started on the "Best Friends Mystery Pins" collection.) Since I started wearing my lanyard, I've gotten into a lot of conversations with other collectors and cast members, and for me at least, I feel it's a great way to "show my Disney side". :)

Hi George!

Ah yes, pin collecting is an addictive hobby. They're like potato chips, you can't have just one. (Especially if you live near WDW)

Word of advice from someone coming from SoFlo: If you have any Disney Character Wharehouse stores nearby (basically outlet stores,) check there every so often for a good deal on traders or even a few lucky pins that might have slipped through the cracks (since the majority of the CW merchandise comes directly from park surplus.)

Also some of the stores have PT nights! (Although since you're close to WDW there are probably much more there.)

Anyways, have fun with your new collection! Star Wars pins are gonna be fun to collect.

- Em

Welcome to the forum! I'm new to pin collecting too.. Restraint is hard! I said I only wanted Lion King pins but seem to have branched into others now :p I'm sure you will enjoy it here :)

Thanks for all the welcomes and tips! :)

@tiggermickey - Thanks for the welcome. :)

@Purplemandms - Great tip about checking for Disney Warehouse Stores for pins. I never even checked to see if there were any around as I just go straight to the parks or Downton Disney, so I'll have to find out if there are any of the Warehouse Stores around for me to check out (there's probably 1 in either Kissimmee or Orlando). So thanks again for the great tip! :)

@Snow - Thanks! I got this shot (and one with a clone trooper) during Star Wars Weekends. I also got a great one with Boba Fett! :)

@Loomi - You're right, restraint is hard! I still have to decide what I want to focus on because there's so many different sets and characters to get hooked on. I'm going to try and stick to Star Wars, special events that I actually attend, and my favorite rides. For characters, I'd like to focus primarily on Donald Duck and Chip and Dale. But I already feel like I'm going to branch out beyond that, as I really like those stretch portrait Haunted Mansion pins that I saw at the Emporium last weekend, and figure since there's only 4 in the set, I may pick those up too lol. Yeah, like you said, restraint is hard!! :D

@StitchTrader - Thanks! Yep, I'm quite the Star Wars nut, so it's always good to meet other Star Wars nuts as well as fellow pin collectors! :)

Thanks again, everyone!
-George

Hi George and welcome to the Forum and the wonderful world of pins :) I have a tiny number of Star Wars/Tours pins in my collection and so welcome from another Star Wars fan :bigthumb: I wish you great amounts of fun as you grow your collection. Hope to see you around the Forums!

Hello,
Nice to meet you. I collect tinkerbell, princesses and stitch. I've been out of the loop for a while, so trying to get back into it, lol. :)

Hi there and welcome to the forum. As a person who used to be there frequently, but now stranded at a 1000 miles from the parks, Pin collecting is/was something I can do that showcases my likes for Disney and doesn't take up much room with my growing family. I do like some of the star wars pins and other parts of pop culture, but I am more of the Main Street USA collector. Maybe I'll see you and a few other traders when I next go down to WDW...

That would be great coblj003! I went to my first pin gathering yesterday (Central Florida Pin Chasers), and had an absolute blast! I got to see a lot of pins that I never even knew existed, and was also able to trade for four pins I was looking for (2 of them being LE's!) So I met some great people, made some trades, and had a great time, and really look forward to meeting and interacting with more pin collectors. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back