Newly addicted

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by MonsterPeg, May 20, 2019.

1. MonsterPeg

MonsterPeg New Member

0   0   0

Hello all - waves I’m new to the pin collecting hobby and am equal parts excited and overwhelmed (because of all the fakes and forgeries out there). My favorite character to collect is monster inc, hence my name - pokes it. Who do you like to collect? And how do you handle finding new pins but not buying fakes? Thanks in advance for the warm welcome

2. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    398   0   0

Welcome:lgm:

MonsterPeg likes this.
  3. slbrabham

slbrabham Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0

Welcome. This hobby is definitely addictive and challenging at times. However, it can be extremely rewarding and fun.

Tips for getting new pins.
    1.) Set a budget and stick to it.
    2.) Don't spend "stupid crazy" money on pins.
    3.) Read the posts about spotting fakes and other informative posts here (and other places) to learn more. It may make you feel better if you know which pins have been faked.
    4.) Have fun searching for pins that make you smile.

My favorite pins to collect (right now) are Princess and the Frog pins.

Who is your favorite in Monsters?

MonsterPeg and krand1276 like this.
  4. Ajk

Ajk Part of the family.

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

Welcome to the Forum and collecting! :lgm:

MonsterPeg likes this.
  5. OpieDoodle

OpieDoodle Member

0   0   0

Hello!

This hobby is fun, stressful, and sometimes expensive but totally worth it. Personally, I collect Stitch but I've also started collecting Coco pins as well. Then my dad collects Donald so I'm often also looking for Donald pins as well. I will tell you I learned about fakes the hard way. I bought a bunch of real booster packs and went to the parks and just went crazy trading. I traded probably 40 authentic pins and came home with roughly 10 authentic and the rest fake. Very expensive lesson to learn.

Now I have an idea of what to look for and I'll only get fooled by REALLY GOOD fakes. There is always the risk of fakes but trading with other pin enthusiasts can reduce that risk. I still trade with cast members in the park but I try to be a lot more selective. Then I buy some cheaper traders (still authentic but cheaper) and let my kids trade in the parks. If they end up with fakes its not as big of a financial deal. I'm going to make a cool craft thing with all my fakes for decoration for my disney room so at least I'll get something beautiful out of my expensive mistake lol!

MonsterPeg likes this.
  6. MonsterPeg

MonsterPeg New Member

0   0   0

Thank you for popping by shelterkat (do you work/own a shelter cat? Cool name) & Ajk

Oh those are some good tips slbrabham - thank you!
    1.) Right now I’ve set a pin budget of $15-20 max per pin.
    2.) unfortunately my husband wanted to spoil me and get behind my new hobby and bought me a $60 pin off eBay - eep! (To me that seems like crazy $$ but maybe not so bad as far as the hobby goes). He had no idea there were fakes floating around and just saw that it was monsters university. Hopefully the seller was genuine and it’s the real McCoy. Maybe once it arrives I can post a picture of it and get some advice/ opinions on its authenticity?
    3.) I definitely will pop on over and read all I can. Thank you. It seems like the tale tell sign is that wet, cheap, not so smooth paint. Or rough edges..
    4.) Aww thanks! I find I tend to like Hong Kong park pins best which is unfortunate as I live in the US haha. Oh well. Maybe I’ll find a good trading partner from Hong Kong

Oooh I love princess and the frog. It’s one of my favorite movies. It has my husbands favorite Disney villain - the shadow man.

Hmmm..that’s hard. I think I like any monsters university character. I’m easy going hehe. I have an extra Timon and an extra mushu pin I’m hoping to trade for a new mike or sully - fingers crossed

slbrabham likes this.
  7. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Hello from another Princess and the Frog lover!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MonsterPeg likes this.
  8. MonsterPeg

MonsterPeg New Member

0   0   0

Hi Opie :) Wow everyone’s favorites seem to be my favorite too lol (maybe I like disney too much and just love it all). I always loved the stitch movies because of the good message - he wasn’t perfect and was quite naughty but he deserved love & a family still. That resonated with me. And the movie Coco is just gorgeous - a feast for the eyes! It’s my go to movie when nothing is on TV and I’m not sure what to watch. We just put on Coco. I like Dante best. That tongue of his is crazy looking lol.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way about scrappers! Ouch! Glad your going to turn it around into a cute craft project. I’d love to see pictures of what you do with them. The main thing is your kiddos had fun and still have fun. I’m sure their smiles are worth it

Hi Akarih :) thank you - btw I love your bunny so much! So cute (we used to have a brown and white mini lop named “Bunnicula” after the children’s book). Who is your favorite Princess and the frog character? I think Ray is mine (I love his songs).

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  9. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Thank you! Thumper is a very cute and very fat little bun lol. I love Tiana but Mama Odie and Facilier are close seconds...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MonsterPeg likes this.
  10. CCofRR13

CCofRR13 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    120   0   0

Hi and Welcome!

The best pin advice I can give you is: If it seems too good to be true, it is - that applies to trading and buying.

MonsterPeg and krand1276 like this.
  11. MonsterPeg

MonsterPeg New Member

0   0   0

So true CCofRR13 -nods. That applies to so much in life doesn’t it?

12. MischiefMade

MischiefMade Ghost Dog Trainer

0   0   0

Welcome to the forum! As a fairly new collector myself I know that overwhelming feeling of authentic vs non-authentic. I was just at WDW last month and I can confidently say that I came away with mostly authentic pins. I collect a little bit of everything and I know I'll have to narrow down my collection (there are far too many pins for my current collecting style). I'm trying to focus down to Zero the Ghost Dog, Minnie, Mickey, Donald, Chip and Dale, Food Pins, and Haunted Mansion with a side of the Great Mouse Detective (but that isn't going very well because everything is too cute.).

I'll offer a little advice on the matter of trading in the parks. First of all I would never go for a blind trade, knowing that I paid for good pins and could be getting something non-authentic. Second, I did a lot of reading before I left on how to spot a fake and what some of the more common ones are. Also, cast members seemed to have the exact same pins over and over and over again, so it was a fairly good indication of some things that were not authentic. Lastly, any time I was unsure I would ask to touch the pin and if I didn't like the quality I would leave it, and if I was at a pin board (or book) I would take the pin off and give it a thorough once over. Just be patient and eventually you will find a cast member with something seeing as they are everywhere. I managed to pick one of the pins I wanted (The Basil of Baker Street out of the Heros Vs Villians Mystery packs) out of the book at Guest Relations in Disney Springs.

Also if you have any questions at all about collecting or the authenticity of one of your pins don't hesitate to ask. Everyone on this forum is willing to lend their vast quantities of knowledge and are also super friendly as well! As @CCofRR13 said, the best advice anyone can give is if it looks too good to be true, then it probably is. Happy Collecting!

MonsterPeg and slbrabham like this.
  13. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Welcome! You've asked some great questions, and let me just echo what already has been said: always use common sense. If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

That being said, the best defense is to educate yourself. The best way to do that is to ask as many questions as necessary; the only 'stupid' question is the one you end up not asking. Remember that even the most experienced pin trader was new at one point. I would learn as much as you can both about the pins you have to trade as well as the pins you would like to acquire, either through trade or purchase - and never be afraid to ask questions of the potential trader/buyer.

But that being said, don't beat yourself up if you end up with a few fakes along the way; it happens and it's part of the learning process. I've been collecting pins for longer than I care to admit - anyone who says that he/she never has traded for a fake pin (by accident) either is lying or hasn't been collecting pins very long.

14. MonsterPeg

MonsterPeg New Member

0   0   0

Thank you so much for the pin swapping advice at the parks. I’d be so nervous I’d trade away good for bad but I still want to try haha :) it seems so fun to trade with the staff . Congrats on your great find with Basil (that’s one of my favorite Disney movies). I hope you get even more rares crossed off your list - p.s. I’m a huge Donald Duck fan too. I never used to be but since my family got into the new “ducktales” cartoon I love him ❤️ I hope to find some really unique Donald pins to hoard in the future. Right now I’m focusing on monster inc/monster u though.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  15. MonsterPeg

MonsterPeg New Member

0   0   0

Your so sweet to say not to “beat yourself if you end up with fakes” & share that it’s all part of the learning process - that you have/had some too. That really made me feel better and welcome here in the group so thank you.

I’d love to pick your guys brain on some pins. I’m trying to acquire some Hong Kong disney monster inc glow in the dark ones but I don’t know if they are fakes or reals. Any tips? (Do you know if these pins are faked regularly?). They are just so cute!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  16. MischiefMade

0   0   0

I love Donald as well and you can find a variety of Pins for him on Cast Member lanyards! The nice bit about trading in the parks and on Disney property in general is that there are a ton of cast members trading and if you end up not liking the quality of a pin you have traded for you can always trade it off later. I did that quite a bit, and sometimes I just didn't care about the authenticity of a pin because I liked the design or the quality on it. I'd never go ahead and trade those ones to someone without telling them my fears, but for my own personal collection it makes me happy.

MonsterPeg likes this.
  17. watzshakinbacon

watzshakinbacon B for Belle or B for bacon?

Rating - 100%
    133   0   0

Hello and welcome!

MonsterPeg likes this.
  18. MonsterPeg

MonsterPeg New Member

0   0   0

Thank you :)

19. dancecats

dancecats Administrator Staff Member DPF Administrator

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

I've been collecting pins so long, I'd like to say that I can spot a fake/counterfeit/scrapped pin a mile away every time, but I'd be lying. Even now, to this day ... and this can be due to many variables (poor lighting, sometimes the fakes really do look real, etc) ... I still accidentally trade for fake pins. Is it frustrating? Yes. Do I get upset when it happens? Nope, not even worth it. The way I see it? If this is the worst mistake I ever make (and don't I wish?), I'm seriously winning at life.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about those HK Monster's Inc pins about which you're inquiring, but I'm hoping someone else here does. Have you looked for any information on Pin Pics, as a starting off point?

MonsterPeg likes this.
  20. MonsterPeg

MonsterPeg New Member

0   0   0

I think that is a fantastic attitude to have about the whole fake pin situation. I feel the same way and am co-signing that hehe.

Thanks for trying to help me with the monster inc pins. So kind of you. Really appreciate it. I couldn’t find it on pin pics but maybe I’m just tech challenged today and typing in the name wrong (searching for the wrong key word. You know those search engines. Their picky. You got have the right name to find anything).

21. MonsterPeg

MonsterPeg New Member

0   0   0

Same with me. If the quality of the pin was good & pretty to look at I personally wouldn’t care if it’s fake but I want to know if it’s authentic (keep my real ones separate) so I can trade others with confidence and not get their hopes up.

What’s your favorite Donald pin? I love the life ring spinner one and the Hong Kong 85th anniversary ones. Super cool/cute

22. OpieDoodle

OpieDoodle Member

0   0   0

Oh some more advice I learned the hard way! Not all "pin people" are nice either. Some are out to get you. I have aquired some LE pins over the years mostly from happening on them when I visit the parks. Well now that I have narrowed down my collection I have offered some up for trade in some facebook groups. Make sure you know the rough value of your pins, before I did (and thankfully a fellow pin enthusiast messaged me before I agreed to the trade) but I had a pin trader trying to convince me basically that the pin I had was pretty worthless and no one wants it and they'd trade a "cheap" trader to me just so I could have something easier to trade with.

The person who messaged me showed me some eBay sold listings were my pin was selling for $100+. Now I only paid retail for it so I'd have no problem changing it for another LE pin that I like more regardless of value but my point is that person was likely going to turn around and sell the pin on eBay for $100 or so and they would have only lost out on a cheap trader as they put it.

I do agree that you should stick to a budget but I wouldn't say per pin budget but a per paycheck or per month budget. I have found myself quickly adding up cheaper pins just because they're in my budget. Then I started finding some more expensive ones I REALLY liked so rather than getting a bunch of pins I may have only gotten 1 pin. Now the most I have paid thus far for a pin is $40. I also have bought a couple times on eBay if I was searching for a pin for a set I couldn't find the last pin for. Most of the time I have been pretty lucky and I try to look at the ad and if it says the pin pictured is the one you're getting I can usually determine authenticity from the photos and I also look at sellers reviews. Ebay is always a huge risk so keep that in mind!

23. MischiefMade

0   0   0

There are three Donalds I am on the look out for. One is the WDW 2018 Hidden Mickey - Kitchen Essentials - Donald Mug (since I collect teapots and housewares outside of my pin collection, The Donut Shop - Pin of the Month - Donald Duck (cause who doesn't like Donuts?), and finally the 2018 HKDL Halloween Tsum Tsum Mystery Set Donald (because it is just too darn cute). Otherwise I like lots of Donald Pins, but those are the three I really have my eye on at the moment

MonsterPeg likes this.
  24. carinasthingamabobs

carinasthingamabobs Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Hi!

I’m new to the forum as well. Hope you find everything you’re looking for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonsterPeg likes this.
  25. MonsterPeg

MonsterPeg New Member

0   0   0

Welcome to you too Carina :) What type of Disney pins are you collecting/are your favorite?