• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

ODPT , what the !#@$@# is up ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ODPT , what the !#@$@# is up ?

lucan444

Active DPF Member
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
Ok I know I have an advantage, I live here in Orlando, but am I the only one to notice that the ODPT is SOOOOO out of date? New pins we know from the Gala event are due to be released in the next week or so, and no updates? All of Oct is basically the same listings as it was PRIOR to the Gala event. What gives?

We all know the Christmas pins are due, the Villains group pin was due this month, The continuing of the D genEARation set is supposed to be due each month till next years event, yet NADDA?

I am usually one of the first to defend the Mouse House for having delays but this is getting outright silly. Folks are trying to plan days off for the bigger release days, and I know the out of state folks both here and in Cali would like to know whats being released while they are visiting for the holidays, but we are getting no kind of love from the ODPT pages, does anyone know what is up with this?
Is there a new page I don't know about? Has the zombie apocalypse already taken over the ODPT ? Am I the only one who cares?

Has the zombie apocalypse already taken over the ODPT ? Am I the only one who cares?

LOL!! Love this comment!! And I agree with you Lucan that Disney is definitely NOT keeping us informed ... oh how I miss the old days of Dizpins!! :sad:

it makes me wonder what the ^»*| happened at the event as it seems nothing but a few vinyl releases have been added..with 40+ pins on deck to be released in the next few weeks and with the 180° change from how gungho they were at the event makes me wonder who/what was the catalyst.. same how i wonder who got trading nights cancelled..

I think it's no coincidence that the fiscal year for Disney ended at the end of Sept. I bet the person responsible for updates, is no longer there, or has new job responsibilities or something. Guess it's time to find Steven Miller's most recent blog and ask why no pin release updates. Well, he posted a new blog today (not pin related) so I left a comment.

I have also been checking every day. I recently emailed their guest services asking about the lack of updates and am waiting on a response.

Maybe everybody should start doing so ... let them know we are watching them O.O

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Being non-local, it was difficult before. Now, with ODPT not being updated, it's essentially impossible.

We will spend significantly less time and money on pins. We will stop going to pin events, stop buying tons of pins each trip, etc.
The more I think about it, this may turn out better for DW and I. Thanks to their decision, might finally break free from a pin addiction that started in 1999.
Guess we might finally make it to Europe, Hawaii, and Alaska after all.

I have a strange feeling that Disney is moving away from pins. They will probably always have some, but there are fewer pin trading nights. They took out the tables at Disneyland completely. None of these moves are positive for our community. From the few cast members I have heard from and what others are saying about the poor manors from people at the events disney might be deciding it isn't worth all of the hassle. After all they have the new magic bands. :facepalm:

^

That is really sad news if it is true! I have only just gotten hooked on pins at the beginning of this year, and I would really hate to see the hobby die out already! Argh! Please no! Most of us really care about the hobby and want to make it safe, fair and fun!

:(

^

That is really sad news if it is true! I have only just gotten hooked on pins at the beginning of this year, and I would really hate to see the hobby die out already! Argh! Please no! Most of us really care about the hobby and want to make it safe, fair and fun!

:(

Yeah!

I have a strange feeling that Disney is moving away from pins. They will probably always have some, but there are fewer pin trading nights. They took out the tables at Disneyland completely. None of these moves are positive for our community. From the few cast members I have heard from and what others are saying about the poor manors from people at the events disney might be deciding it isn't worth all of the hassle. After all they have the new magic bands. :facepalm:

I feel the same. It seems like less pins are being released from the boards. Maybe that's just me.

DS.com died a few years ago. DSUK isn't doing so hot. DLP hasn't had that many pins come out either... The only place getting decent Low LE traders is DSF. It's depressing :/

I think Disney is just dropping the ball on a hobby that they don't care too much about. Except for the money. Money is always their thing. haha

Last edited:
I was at epcot Tuesday and I asked to have a look at there book they have there that shows you what pins are coming and they just said they don't have it any more and I asked why they haven't updated there website for months and the cast member didn't even know what I was on about and didn't even think that there was a website that does this she was trying to brush me off and I said it does exist As I've been going on there for years I thought if you asked a cast member a question they are meant to call there manager if they can't answer your question this cast member came across very rude I should off reported her

This is just an opinion, because I haven't been involved in this hobby very long and I certainly don't devote as much time to it as others here who are more knowledgeable / involved / up to date ... But do we really think Disney would entirely turn their backs on a cash cow such as pins? Yes, the secondary market is where the big bucks are made, and Disney doesn't see THOSE profits. But most pins sell out, which means Disney made their $$$ / substantial profit over production costs. I sort of wonder if it has more to do with a change in strategy as to how pins are released and how Disney "deals" with the chaos that surrounds most pin releases. Yes, it's totally inconvenient and I'm not in any way agreeing with their method IF this is the case ... but if no one "knows" when pins are being released, there's more of a luck factor involved and people who want pins but can't camp out or spend hours in line only to suck up all the pins and shove them on eBay at ridiculously marked-up prices have a better "chance" at getting the pins they might want. The only reason this crossed my mind is a) growing "feedback" that Disney employees are irked by the rudeness (and worse) that occurs at pin events and b) when they couldn't keep Frozen merchandise in stock and everyone was b*tching at them (including me), they temporarily changed their online release strategy. Remember when the Web site would update at random times of day, instead of at midnight Pacific? Then it was dumb luck or regular periodic checking that allowed people to find and purchase items. More people had a chance to stumble on them and buy them, as opposed to sitting up half the night (if you're on the East Coast) only to get skunked anyway. Will be curious to see if this is a temporary situation (an experiment) or if Disney's interest in pins really does wane ....

I was at epcot Tuesday and I asked to have a look at there book they have there that shows you what pins are coming and they just said they don't have it any more and I asked why they haven't updated there website for months and the cast member didn't even know what I was on about and didn't even think that there was a website that does this she was trying to brush me off and I said it does exist As I've been going on there for years I thought if you asked a cast member a question they are meant to call there manager if they can't answer your question this cast member came across very rude I should off reported her
A CM at DLR today showed me their book for October, so I think it just depends on who you ask.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Or maybe they only know about things in their area of expertise. The stores and parks are different from the website. They don't have to know about the website because they don't work with it. They will never direct you to it unless they work in a really big big store and then and only then will they do that is if it's somthing they do themselves. It's not a thing you're prompted about, not a thing they have to know about.

ODPT is just a general blog for updates and stuff. Sorry it's not updated, it's not that cast members fault.

Ok I know I have an advantage, I live here in Orlando, but am I the only one to notice that the ODPT is SOOOOO out of date? New pins we know from the Gala event are due to be released in the next week or so, and no updates? All of Oct is basically the same listings as it was PRIOR to the Gala event. What gives?

We all know the Christmas pins are due, the Villains group pin was due this month, The continuing of the D genEARation set is supposed to be due each month till next years event, yet NADDA?

I am usually one of the first to defend the Mouse House for having delays but this is getting outright silly. Folks are trying to plan days off for the bigger release days, and I know the out of state folks both here and in Cali would like to know whats being released while they are visiting for the holidays, but we are getting no kind of love from the ODPT pages, does anyone know what is up with this?
Is there a new page I don't know about? Has the zombie apocalypse already taken over the ODPT ? Am I the only one who cares?

What? You mean to tell us the Pin Gods over at PP don't know what is coming out? Astonishing!

When I was in WDW in November of 2013, I had a cast member tell me that Disney was generating 20% of its profits from pins. If that were true, I would find it hard to believe that they would walk away from it. Maybe they are just trying to figure out a better way to manage the chaos.

When I was in WDW in November of 2013, I had a cast member tell me that Disney was generating 20% of its profits from pins. If that were true, I would find it hard to believe that they would walk away from it. Maybe they are just trying to figure out a better way to manage the chaos.
I don't know if Disney is making 20% of its profits from all of the parks' worldwide revenue combined, but it's certainly not from pins! Sorry, but take what a random cm says with a grain of salt. :) (More likely that particular location may have made 20% of its profits from pins, but still take with a grain of salt.)

Pins are a 15 year old line of merchandise that has been slowly been in the process of phasing out for about the last three to four years. I think they were hoping vinyls would replace pins but the excitement over vinyls died down much quicker than for pins so they had to keep supporting pins with no new collectible quite being able to replace it. But as other oldtimers will remind ad nauseum :D - it already ain't what it used to be. There used to be multiple pin events a year, events on both coasts, monthly PTNs, Scoop's (daily?) pin talks with pin giveaways, pin cruises, pin hunts in the parks, pin auctions run by Disney on ebay, regular online sales, cast pin sales and so very much more that haven't been around in ages and will never return again. This is the waning end of the hobby and the final death knell will be when the lanyards are pulled at the parks - which, personal guess, I think will come in the next year or two - and pins return to be simply tourist souvenirs instead of secondary market resales and a tradeable collectible. Though trading seems to have been on its way out in general outside of lanyard trading for at least the last year or two anyway. From observation it's been more about buying and selling for a while now.

But yes, a PinPics employee starting a thread complaining that a pin site is not up to date with all pins is a bit... ironic. :) But then, an updated and comprehensive PinPics is also sadly, seemingly a thing of the past. And that is a great loss to the community, possibly the biggest loss of all in the long run if there is no one place for us all to continually say "there it all is - go there to learn and dream..."

When I said disney looks like it is getting out of the pin game, what I meant is the days of pin events and maybe even LE pins inside the parks are likely on their way to Yesterland. They will probably continue to sell rack pins because they make money with all kinds of guests but doesn't usually cause any of the drama that the more exclusive LE pins do. So if it means that disney looses some money and gets rid of the problem traders and as such a lot of the drama they bring it will be well worth it to them.

Of course what this really could mean is that if the disney soda fountain continues to sell LE pins they will become the only game in town and then try to buy those pins. You think prices are out of whack now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back