Park Pin Trading in a post-CV world (and land!)

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by Jabberwocky, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Cheshirefied DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    96   0   0

Probably too soon to think about, but even right before the parks shut down, the coronavirus was affecting park pin trading (at least at DLR). People were wearing masks in the pin trading picnic area. I was carrying hand sanitizer the last couple of visits and using it between trades and would go wash my hands after spending time in the picnic area. But to that point, the Cast Members were still wearing lanyards and trading with guests.

But in a post-coronavirus world - even if just in the short term - it's interesting to think about how pin trading in the parks may be affected.

I have no insight, but I'd guess that for the time being Cast Members would stop wearing lanyards to trade pins with guests. Boards might become more common as then the Cast wouldn't be directly exposed to whatever guests were trading and could wipe down the boards each night before putting them away.

Guest to guest trading (i.e. in Frontierland where people set up across all benches with their boards and books or in the picnic area) might be allowed at guests' own risk, or might be discouraged or even banned for a time.

Not sure how hard a line the parks will decide on this. Probably will also depend on how quickly an effective treatment can be made available and ultimately, a vaccine.

But I've really been wondering how park trading specifically will be conducted in the early days of parks re-opening. It would truly make me sad if it were stopped, but I would understand putting a temporary pause, or even just a pause between Cast and guests. Although it is part of the truly magical interactions that happen daily in the parks and help socialize both shy kids and adults through this interaction. Plus the hunt for pins is always fun.

I think there are ways to do trading as safely as possible - and part of that would be being a responsible guest and perhaps wiping down pins with cleaning wipes before and after trades, and of course not trading with anyone if you're sick.

What do you think the immediate future of pin trading will be in the parks? What about the long term?

Pin trading is literally one of the most hands-on activities one can have between people in the parks. I hope we can all find a safe way to continue doing what we love!

Though most of all, I hope for a cure/treatment and a vaccine ASAP! People before pins, always.

2. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0

Of course the answer is... not really sure… but if I hypothesize… Once a vaccine is available (and maybe before as the virus dies down naturally), I see a return at or close to 'normal' for all social and work interactions (pin trading being included in that.) My information is only as good as my sources, but I have read multiple times that using antibacterial soap and hand-sanitizer hurts us (us being the average person, there are always exceptions) by weakening our own immune systems. According to what I read (I have no source to site, since I am just rambling from memory), without our bodies having the immune system strengthen over time, we are more at risk for getting sick. Anyway, long term use of hand sanitizer may not be any part of an adequate solution. There is definitely a risk/reward balance between having at the germs and keeping them at bay with cleanliness.

Another observation: Hasn't society returned to 'normal' after SARs, Ebola, mad cow... etc. So if history is any indication, I do not see any quick or big changes. Maybe minor tweaks here and there? Slow changes as we gain new technology? One example, blood donations: blood services (Red Cross/Vitalent) ask questions related to mad cow disease to remove donors who put the blood supply at risk. (Just donated blood yesterday, so popped into my mind that the blood services have made tweaks, but they still collect blood.)

Finally: regarding pin-trading being more hands-on than other activities... not sure I agree, in general, amusement parks are full of germs spreading easily.
    • Hand rails? Ugh, how many hands touch a hand rail I touch. (I would conclude this is much higher than anyone who touched a pin I traded for.)
    • Ride seats? Lots of sharing of germs there (and the potential for really gross germs is significant, since rides set off bodily functions and the cleaning up between the rides may or may not be adequate as Disney tries to keep the lines moving.)
    • Close proximity to others? The cue lines are a germ haven. Not only are we forced to be in close proximity to others, but hand rails are being touched seconds after someone else touches them and this is continuously.
    When the status is acceptable to open the parks, isn't the spreading of germs through pin trading is really just one small part of the larger risk of having people spread germs in a variety of ways? If pin trading does change (and I think changes are unlikely) wouldn't other things at Disney need to change also?

Of course, I love pin trading and do not want to see any limitations placed on it, so that is my bias. My thoughts flow towards why pin trading would not change and not to why it might need to change.

Thanks for starting this interesting conversation @Jabberwocky :)

Ajk, Jabberwocky and gargress like this.
  3. gargress

gargress (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ First Time @ DLR: Sept 2020! *:・゚✧ DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0

Cast members foregoing lanyards going forward is the most likely first turn for pin trading, as is increased use of pin boards that can be sanitized everyday, especially with children licking, crawling, and touching everything in the parks.

Even if Disney Parks discourage people from guest-to-guest pin trading, guests will still pin trade, so in that respect pin trading will continue. Pin trading events may be the first to go on hiatus for a time and later return with drastic sanitizing protocols.

Hopefully a reliable vaccine becomes a reality soon, but National Institute of Health Seattle trials indicate a vaccine could be 1+ years away in the United States:

"Participants will be asked to return to the clinic for follow-up visits between vaccinations and for additional visits across the span of a year after the second shot."

Maybe Canada, China, or another country will reach a vaccine sooner and go through steps for approvals in the United States.

#peoplebeforepins

4. Shelterkat

Shelterkat A Very Merry Unbirthday!

Rating - 100%
    400   0   0

I hadn't even considered this but very good point, Jabberwocky. I hope this doesn't lend to the hobby fading away:(

5. brattyjedi

brattyjedi Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

For one datapoint: I was on a Disney cruise March 9-13. I did not see a single cast member with a lanyard and there was no officer pin trading night as there has traditionally been on cruises. I was at Disney Springs on March 8 and employees there still had lanyards, but not on the ship. In the past, at least the store employees on the ship have had lanyards and officer pin trading night was a big deal. I didn’t ask, but I assumed it was down to Covid 19 as they were generally more careful on the ship due to the problems on other cruise lines.

My hope is these things will return when some combination of effective treatments and / or vaccine with wide distribution is available.

6. Ajk

Ajk Consider yourself...at home...

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

I’m with @TheMickeyMouseRules on this one. There are WAY more germ infested areas. Besides handrails mentioned, how about the thumb scan at entrance? Or lap bars and such? Pins are down right sterile by comparison. So don’t see them stopping it to protect guests.

However, I could see them wanting to reduce risk to cast member so could see shifting to more boards. DLR is already heavily weighted towards boards. WDW can follow their lead. But they could also consider having CMs wear gloves, especially in shops where they need to handle cash, items at checkout (I’m sure they won’t change that) etc. They could even consider using nice cloth gloves with sterile ones under them so it’s less obvious.

7. Jabberwocky

Rating - 100%
    96   0   0

A month later, bumping this back up again in the wake of the news of Shanghai Disneyland's reopening and the general consensus speculation I'm seeing online that at a minimum our US parks will likely reopen with social distancing required.

If that's going to be enforced, that absolutely will stop pin trading in the park (for the moment), both guest to CM and guest to guest. If you can't get within 6 feet of someone's pin book, how can you trade with them? Guessing local pin meets will be held to compensate, but that's not the same as daily/weekly trading in the parks.

8. ItzaPinfan

ItzaPinfan Noob

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0

But like these protocols will be in place for our collective safety...and to minimize park risk to maintain parks being open...:I miss in person trading as much as the next person but like not to the point that I’m fixing to find some local event to get my trading fix and risk contributing to a hot spot of contaminating people...imho...hope people will really consider continuing to sit tight until it’s safe...although I think we can all agree that’s not likely...:( plus even as park trading opens I know I’ll be taking a personal inventory with what protocols I take about trading and other folks touching my stuff. Truth is and I think we can all agree things will never be the same, in all areas of life as we knew it. Be safe everyone.

Like I’ve really thought hard about this...Maybe keep photos of my traders in a folder in my phone and airdrop the photos to someone interested. If they want to see the pin I’ll likely put it in a ziplock for them to touch and examine, toss the bag if they don’t take it...keeping received trades in a separate baggie until I can get home to decontaminate... gloves on and masks entire time...the more I think about the hassle of it all, I realize, nawww I can wait, I’ll just let my traders build value...what’s the rush? I’ll likely work harder to pre-trade before park visits and events I think.

I mean think about the August pin event at Epcot, like how do you even manage that with social distancing? Gives me an eye twitch just thinking about the logistics. Lol.

Course all speculation just wait and see, not like there’s anything else to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Abyssinian28

Abyssinian28 DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if Disney's going to do the August event this year. It's such a distancing nightmare.

I could see them going forward with the MOG shopping day and Destination D before the pin event. I mean, the shopping day is easy peesy- either RSP it, or have sections of separation during shopping and limit the number of people in the store. Pins are already done in a line anyway. Or give us number and shopping time. Lots of options. Destination D is a little trickier, but if they space out the seating in the big ballroom, it might be okay. They might have to limit attendees.

But active pin trading? Very tough to work around.

10. stratasfan

stratasfan Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Seeing how Disney Springs was not doing a lot of pin trading in December and January, as it was too bothersome to the employees, I would think that with COVID, Disney will stop employee pin trading for a while. They'd be silly, really, to not stop it. I could see boards being used, but even then I would think that might be delayed to stop the rush that you know will happen.

We are also wondering if they will really open parks this year at all. It must be hard to work out any profit with limiting attendance.

As to vaccine . . . I shudder to think. Everyone will get a vaccine which infects healthy people and nobody is going to stay quarantined completely (and I mean more than the stay at home that is going on now) to not spread while they actively shed the vaccine. Ususally, it is 30-60 days of shedding, and that means after having a vaccine, you are just as contagious as someone in the worst part of the infection. So, if a vaccine is going to be wide-spread . . . it will cause another wave that will be awful! The stats from other countries about the normal flu vaccine and the childhood disease vaccines is completely overwhelming. Been doing reading on them, and the thought of a Corona vaccine is scary! So, I don't think public gatherings are in the future for us for at least the rest of the year. Anyone with any immune system problems will have to be so super cautious it will be like March and April for a long time.

What we are really disappointed in is the likelyhood of not being able to see Gramma for two years, by the time we might be able to travel. Can't drive down without staying at a hotel, and that isn't a thing for us. Flying is a no-no too, until this totally dies down. So, it is going to be sad not to get to visit Gramma this year.

Regardless of Corona, last year we were thinking that pin trading is on the way down. From what we heard form Disney Employees and management during the time spent down there over the past two years, and from what people have also been like down there . . . we are thinking it is starting to die. Just what we have been seeing lately, but I think Corona is going to have a big impact!

So, we are enjoying online trading right now, as at least we can have a little more fun right now! :) Virtual Disney trading!

coblj003 likes this.
  11. Jabberwocky

Rating - 100%
    96   0   0

^ From the DLR perspective - and probably because we have regular guest pin trading spots from the benches outside Westward Ho to the picnic area along with trading with CMs from lanyards and boards - trading has been alive and well. I'm just thinking that with social distancing, they may just shut down the picnic area entirely, or even just to pin traders. And I would expect no one would be allowed to pin trade outside the Ho either. At least for the time being. I understand why, I'm just speculating on what may happen and how.

TinyTink likes this.
  12. TinyTink

TinyTink Africa-The Real Animal Kingdom DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Interesting observation, can share that on our last Cruise during the holiday season, no one was wearing lanyards, however, all the gift shops had open trading books on the counter. And there was a fantastic Officer Pin Trading Night.

13. TinyTink

TinyTink Africa-The Real Animal Kingdom DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

Personally, I would hope pin trading might pick up a little if the parks are less crowded. There are talks of virtual lines, where guests can roam around and enjoy their time until their set ticket time...more down time between attractions can be increase revenues in gift stores, restaurants and entertainment venues; could be there would be some newer pin trader approach. Just wishin...

14. Jabberwocky

Rating - 100%
    96   0   0

Happy to see reports that when WDW starts to reopen next month there will at least be pin boards to trade off. As expected, this is the easiest thing to maintain safely.

No CM lanyard trading for the time being.

Ajk, momin.ator and coblj003 like this.
  15. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    530   0   0

It's weird (but not) that Disney contradicts itself:

See:
    https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/resorts/

Merchandise Locations
    In merchandise locations throughout Walt Disney World Resort, Guests will continue to discover favorite Disney items, with some modifications to the shopping experience that will help us manage capacity and foster physical distancing.
    • New Product Launches: New collection product launches and limited-edition merchandise will not be available for in-person purchases at Walt Disney World Resort until further notice. As always, Guests can find these items on shopDisney, subject to availability.
    • Pin Trading: We will continue to offer Guests the opportunity to pin trade with Cast Members through the use of pin boards in select locations. Cast pin trading with lanyards will not be available at this time to maintain physical distancing.

Temporarily Unavailable
    The following amenities and experiences will not be available during the initial reopening period:
    • Arcades
    • Campfires
    • Character experiences
    • Dog parks
    • Electrical Water Pageant
    • Marina rentals
    • Pin trading
    • Playgrounds
    • Spas, salons and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique

What's the initial reopening period? The three weeks that the DVC resorts are open before the parks? Or from July 11th to an unknown date?

16. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

I take the initial opening period to be from July 11 until some unknown future period (probably not until a vaccine).
    But what’s the contradiction? I’m not seeing it.

17. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

Yeah, and was already the direction things were heading. On my last trip to DLR I noticed a lot more boards than prior trips.

18. Pecosace

Pecosace Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

Does anyone know if there is currently pin trading at Downtow...I mean Disney Springs? I'll be there in a little less than a week and was curious how the pin scene was looking.

19. Jabberwocky

Rating - 100%
    96   0   0

I haven't seen any reports of trading there in WOD or Once Upon a Toy or the Co-Op - the main Disney owned merch locations that had reopened as of yesterday. They may be waiting for Pin Traders to reopen to initiate it with a board there.

Re: the contradiction starry pointed out above - it seems to indicate that there will not be trading in the 'resorts' which I'd take to mean CM's with lanyards in the hotel lobbies, etc. But just boards in the store locations, which is the section quoted about merchandise.

20. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    530   0   0

@Ajk First it says that there will be pin trading at selected locations. But then it says there won't be....

And here's the thing, they say "Walt Disney World Resort" locations....not theme parks specifically.

On the top of their page:
    Walt Disney World Resort Phased Reopening and Important Information
    • Walt Disney World theme parks will open beginning July 11 for Magic Kingdom Park and Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park followed by EPCOT and Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 15. Learn more.

• Additionally, Disney Vacation Club properties at Walt Disney World and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will begin to reopen to Members and Guests on June 22. Disney Vacation Club properties in Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina, will open on June 15. Disney Springs has already begun to reopen. Upon reopening, theme parks, Disney Resort Hotels, restaurants and other offerings may be modified, limited in capacity and subject to availability or closure. Learn more.

• We have taken enhanced health and safety measures. Follow all posted instructions while visiting Walt Disney World Resort. An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. View important details.

So...it actually kind of sounds like the resort (not theme parks) will have pin trading....and theme parks won't have any when it re-opens

Ajk likes this.
  21. Ajk

Rating - 100%
    95   0   0

Sorry but still not seeing conflict. (Although it probably doesn't matter whether I do or not.) They said there will be pin trading available but it won't be direct with cast members (via lanyards) but will be via pin boards. And that's how it will be at the resort which covers both hotels and parks (and Disney Springs, etc.) They all comprise the Walt Disney World Resort. And "shopping locations" is anywhere that sells merchandise throughout the Resort, so Disney Springs shops, hotel shops, and shops in the park. All places that used to have a combination of boards and lanyards and will now just have boards.

22. starry_solo

Rating - 100%
    530   0   0

Because in the first paragraph, it says pin trading will be available. And in the next paragraph, it says that pin trading will not be available.

23. splashmtnman

splashmtnman All Wet and Happy

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Temporarily Unavailable
    The following amenities and experiences will not be available during the initial reopening period:
    • Arcades
    • Campfires
    • Character experiences
    • Dog parks
    • Electrical Water Pageant
    • Marina rentals
    • Pin trading
    • Playgrounds
    • Spas, salons and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
    • NO Fireworks shows.... Bummer...

24. bookhugger

bookhugger I love books!

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

No dog parks? I guess that makes sense if they aren’t opening the hotels that allow dogs

25. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

A few people have posted pictures of pin trading boards that are available to trade off of now. No lanyards on cast members though.

Personally, I usually prefer trading from a board, so I am kind of looking forward to this.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk