Pin Trading 101 - Which one is real/counterfeit

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by Connies_Hobby, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Connies_Hobby

Connies_Hobby SPREADING the DISNEY PIN MAGIC!!

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0

So, this is what happens when a trader has too many pins (LOL > - Yours truly) and can't remember (because I don't have pictures on phone) all her Keepers.

I was going through my CHESHIRE CAT Collection yesterday, to thin them out and I discovered 2 of these Weird & Wacky pins.

So, I thought... I'll sell one. I proceed to turn them both over and "Hello" one is counterfeit.

So, I thought..oh well..hobbies are a constant learning-curve (just as life is) and came to the conclusion above.

Plus, I decided to post this thread as a tool for Educating other members here... especially new ones of the Importance of thoroughly looking over a pin they are trading FOR their Collection. It's SO EASY to forget in the heat of the moment, to double, triple check!

As the old saying goes: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool twice, shame on me."

Any-who...for your Instructional value...which pin is counterfeit?

[​IMG]

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

2. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

I vote for the pin on the left. It looks like there's a paint dip next to his nose.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

3. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    112   0   0

I agree... The one on the left. Paint/enamel looks dippy...and the colors seem off to me. Although his stripes look purple in both... At least to me.

4. Connies_Hobby

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0

...WINNERS, WINNERS, CHICKEN DINNER.

You're both CORRECT.

5. Connies_Hobby

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0

And, here is a picture of the pin backs.

Live and learn, ALWAYS! [​IMG]

6. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

This is the part where the cranky old timer comes in and says there is nothing wrong with the other back.

This pin came out in May 2001. Pins from that time period didn't have "Official Pin Trading" Logos on the back. One of the things I want to do is review the Dizpins archives to figure out exactly when they started using them. What you might have is a pin from the original batch and a pin from another batch that came out after Disney started putting logos on the back. That also would explain the slight color differences.

7. splashmtnman

splashmtnman All Wet and Happy

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0

Give me the pin on the left...
    On the right the letters RDY look washed out.. and there is a small section above the right foot that is not filled in properly. maybe just the flash?
    The colors on the left pin are brighter on my computer screen. Right pin is too blue..
    Now the question is how do we get rid of the black on the back of the left pin??

Connies_Hobby likes this.
  8. krand1276

krand1276 Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    77   0   0

I'm thinking the "black" on the back of the pin is just reflection of the camera.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

9. Connies_Hobby

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0

Please do let us know what your research discovers....!!

Thank you.

I'm so glad I posted this!

10. Connies_Hobby

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0

The black area is a reflection off the camera. My apologies.

11. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    112   0   0

I enjoy these exercises... Thanks!

Connies_Hobby and TonkaToy like this.
  12. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

Me too - one of my favourite things to do - compare pins and get better at spotting scrappers, fakes and QA issues. :)

13. Connies_Hobby

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0

@hopemax any research answers yet...Old-timer.

14. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply I was currently searching. It will be a long process to read through the Dizpins news archive. Each week had an archived list. So 9 years, 12 months a year, 4 weeks per month. Even just doing 2001-2002 will take time. I want to find both when the logos started, and when the rubber Mickey backs started. And if you saw in Katherine's sale post, I spent yesterday dealing with exterminators, trying to get our car title from AZ while we live in CO, and buying a new car. I also leave for a Disneyland trip in about 2 weeks. So I might get a day or two to search before then, but probably not. I was going to dig open my Alice frame and look what mine looks like. We did go to WDW in June 2001, so it may be an original. That I can do in about 5 minutes (10 to take a photo if it is an old style back) but haven't had a spare moment until now.

BRB...

krand1276 and MischiefMade like this.
  15. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

I have the back on the left. And like I said, I was in WDW in June 2001, and I tended to buy my Alice / Dumbo / BatB instead of "hope to trade." Even if I did trade on that trip, scrappers/fakes of rack pins didn't start until about 2005, so I feel confident my pin is authentic. I'm not sure if it comes through on the photo, but there are several stripes that are underfilled. And I'm not sure the color in the photo matches my pin exactly, it seems a little washed out in the photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

So unfortunately, I did not find a "look what is on the back of pins now" type of entry in the Dizpins news archives. It probably did get posted on the Forum, but those posts are gone forever. But after reviewing the pins that I have access to at this moment, it looks like mid-late September 2001.

October releases sometimes had a 2001 Pin Trading Logo. Early-mid September releases did not. I have more pins I can check, but I don't want to rip apart the closet in the spare room right now to get to them.

17. Connies_Hobby

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0

Tyvm. Gosh, so pin #1 on the left, with the pin dips, and no stamp is the authentic one.

18. hopemax

Rating - 100%
    177   0   0

They probably both are.

19. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

I would agree. A lot of my early pins do not have the ears or waffle logo. I started collecting in 2004 - just before all the problems with scrappers etc... and the backs often are as you describe.

20. Connies_Hobby

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0

So the determination is they're both authentic?
    Again, this post really helped...A LOT!
    Thanks for the input!!

coblj003 likes this.