• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pin Trading : DL vs WDW

Pin Trading : DL vs WDW

Donald Duck Trader

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I had a 12 hours layover at LAX and decided to spend my day at Disneyland. I am primary a Disney World (20+ trips) guy and have only been to Disneyland one other time. So I was looking forward to spending some time at the park that started it all.

As a pin collector, specifically the Hidden Mickey Pin Series, I was looking forward to a lot of pin trading to collect the Disneyland Hidden Mickey pins that are exclusive to Disneyland.

On the whole, I have to say, I was disappointed. When you travel to Disney World, I would say about 90% of all cast members have lanyards/mats/pins for trade (to include the cleaners, cashiers, ride attendants, etc). Also, Disney World has pin boards everywhere (shops, rides, trashcans, chests, etc). At Disneyland, I was lucky if 10% of the cast members had lanyards/mats/pins for trade and there were very few pin boards around.

I was lucky to find a couple of cast members at the Grand Californian (on my way back to the airport) who had a great selection. But otherwise, it was slim pickings.

Now, I do have to say that the pin shops at Disneyland were great and there were a lot of them. They had awesome variety and was fun to shop in (although, still not as big as the Disney Pin Trader's at Disney Springs Orlando).

Is pin trading not as popular at Disneyland? Is there a reason they don't have as many traders and boards? I had better trading experiences on Disney Cruises.

Curious about people's opinions.

Thanks

Maybe it's just because it's a smaller resort and more of a locals park than a touristy one like WDW?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

WDW may have 90% more lanyards but it pretty much equals 90% more junk. So ultimately, you find the same amount of real pins vs. fake. My first trip to WDW I was excited to see so many more lanyards, but when I found it was just as much scrappers, percentage-wise as DL, it ultimately didn't make for any better trading. Except when Scoop was around and you could get lucky trading with him if you found him.

Right now at DL, actually the lanyards are better than they've been for a long time with lots of the recent waves of hidden mickeys being refreshed onto them so these days I'm constantly running out of traders as there is so much good stuff out there to trade for!

WDW may have 90% more lanyards but it pretty much equals 90% more junk. So ultimately, you find the same amount of real pins vs. fake. My first trip to WDW I was excited to see so many more lanyards, but when I found it was just as much scrappers, percentage-wise as DL, it ultimately didn't make for any better trading. Except when Scoop was around and you could get lucky trading with him if you found him.

Right now at DL, actually the lanyards are better than they've been for a long time with lots of the recent waves of hidden mickeys being refreshed onto them so these days I'm constantly running out of traders as there is so much good stuff out there to trade for!
That's a really good point!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There are actually quite a few "pin boards" at DLR. You just have to know where to look and ask. There are books that open
with pins inside at the stores in New Orleans square. Most of the stores have a pin board or a trading board/book/something
behind the register. If it is not displayed, you just have to ask. And you just have to keep your eyes open for CMs with lanyards.

Back