• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PinPics New Update - July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
PinPics New Update - July 2021

MollyAnne

Well-Known DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Update:
We wanted to fill all of you in on what is going on behind the scenes with PinPics!
Many users have been able to regain use of PinPics. If you are still having issues please email us at info@pinpics.com.
1. We are fixing elements in the background that will improve the operation of the current site.
2. We have put together some Guidelines with visuals on how to take pictures of your pins so that we can use them on the site. We are working to get these posted to the portion of PinPics where you ADD a Pin. We will also post those guidelines here and they are also on Instagram and on our Facebook page so you can see them now.
We really appreciate everyone who has submitted pin pictures in the past, and we know there has been some frustration with the process. Also from mid-March when the site was hacked until recently when the Login was fixed, our Admin could not log in to approve photos. This was not communicated so we know that a lot of you were adding photos and they were not being added AND you did not know why. We understand that this also caused some frustration. We are in the process of reviewing uploaded photos and approving those that meet the guidelines. Having the photos be clear and concise helps everyone identify their pins to add to their collections, ISOs and traders. This will also be key to a lot of the new features coming with the New Pin Pics 2.0.
May be an image of text that says 'NEW UPDATE'

Here are the PinPic Submission Guidelines

ADD a PIN GUIDELINES:

These instructions must be reviewed prior to adding a pin.

PICTURE BASICS: Clean the pin first! Make sure it is free of lint and dirt. Pictures must be taken in direct sunlight or with bright lighting. Bright lighting shows the most detail and gives clear, sharp images. Make sure that you take the picture with the pin at 90° to the camera. This will keep the distortion at a minimum. Try to keep reflections and shadows at a minimum.

The ENTIRE Pin must be in the picture and in focus. Never wear red when taking pictures, it reflects off them.

THE PICTURE: ALL individual pins should be on a uniform white background (white card, paper, white foam). Do not photo on the original card, black anything or through plastic wrapping.

Card mounted sets should be on the card and one picture of all the items on a white background together. Also take a picture of the individual pins on a white background for addition as individuals.

Disney framed sets do not need to be unframed. The picture should show the pins and the frame. Individual pins can be taken if available (submit separately following guidelines).

For single pin boxed items. A picture of the pin is preferred.

Multi item boxed sets can have a picture of the pins on the original backing but the pins on a white background is preferred. Also take a picture of the individual pins on a white background for addition as individuals.

EDITING: Crop the photo to show just the pin (close to edge) and make sure that the pin is straight up and down. (rotate if necessary) This is a cropped high resolution photo.

SIZING: Use PAINT (Microsoft) and size to 400 Pixels in the largest dimension. Once re-sized the picture is ready for uploading.

SPINNERS: Pins with spinners are a bit more complex. You will need to take a picture of the front and the front with the spinner reversed. Do not add the words! These pictures are combined (in PAINT or other software) and then resized. Do not photograph the back of the pin. It will not be allowed.

Now that you have the picture ready you can start the pin addition process.

TITLES: The Title must include: Origin (WDI, WDW, Paris, Shanghai, etc) or Film or grouping name (mystery box, starter) Followed by the Primary Character.

Do not put parenthesis, quotation marks, the words Pin, Series, Disney, Collection or ONLY in the Title. Use the word Set ONLY when the item is sold together and the set is complete in the picture. An individual pin is not a Set. Please include the Set # in your description (if available) for the individual pins from a set. If it is new submit the set and individual pins at the same time.

DESCRIPTIONS:
You have the pin… describe what you see to someone who doesn’t have the pin. When there are limited or incomplete descriptions written of the pins the Staff has to do this which slows down the approval process.

Descriptions must include who or what is on the pin, what they are doing and wearing, background color and shape, any wording that is on the pin and where it is located. Any moving parts, glitter, stained glass, dangles should also be described.
Describe the pin back. The Boxes, the year, Edition Size, Color of the base metal, pattern (waffle, auction, hat, etc) on the back should be included. The size or dimensions of the pin are always helpful.

Photos of the back of pins will not be posted.

There are CHECK BOXES that you can click on for additional info regarding the pin.
If the pin has glitter then Check the Sparkle/glitter Box. Check what fits. This aids in the search.
If it is a Mystery Pin or part of a Mystery Group, check that Box.
If it is a Feature Film, a Cartoon/Short Film or a TV Series, there are Boxes available.

Click ADD THIS PIN… Please click only once then wait for it to be accepted. Clicking more
than once adds duplicates and we try to avoid this.

Thank you. You are now ready to add more!

Here are the PinPic Submission Guidelines

ADD a PIN GUIDELINES:

These instructions must be reviewed prior to adding a pin.

PICTURE BASICS: Clean the pin first! Make sure it is free of lint and dirt. Pictures must be taken in direct sunlight or with bright lighting. Bright lighting shows the most detail and gives clear, sharp images. Make sure that you take the picture with the pin at 90° to the camera. This will keep the distortion at a minimum. Try to keep reflections and shadows at a minimum.

The ENTIRE Pin must be in the picture and in focus. Never wear red when taking pictures, it reflects off them.

THE PICTURE: ALL individual pins should be on a uniform white background (white card, paper, white foam). Do not photo on the original card, black anything or through plastic wrapping.

Card mounted sets should be on the card and one picture of all the items on a white background together. Also take a picture of the individual pins on a white background for addition as individuals.

Disney framed sets do not need to be unframed. The picture should show the pins and the frame. Individual pins can be taken if available (submit separately following guidelines).

For single pin boxed items. A picture of the pin is preferred.

Multi item boxed sets can have a picture of the pins on the original backing but the pins on a white background is preferred. Also take a picture of the individual pins on a white background for addition as individuals.

EDITING: Crop the photo to show just the pin (close to edge) and make sure that the pin is straight up and down. (rotate if necessary) This is a cropped high resolution photo.

SIZING: Use PAINT (Microsoft) and size to 400 Pixels in the largest dimension. Once re-sized the picture is ready for uploading.

SPINNERS: Pins with spinners are a bit more complex. You will need to take a picture of the front and the front with the spinner reversed. Do not add the words! These pictures are combined (in PAINT or other software) and then resized. Do not photograph the back of the pin. It will not be allowed.

Now that you have the picture ready you can start the pin addition process.

TITLES: The Title must include: Origin (WDI, WDW, Paris, Shanghai, etc) or Film or grouping name (mystery box, starter) Followed by the Primary Character.

Do not put parenthesis, quotation marks, the words Pin, Series, Disney, Collection or ONLY in the Title. Use the word Set ONLY when the item is sold together and the set is complete in the picture. An individual pin is not a Set. Please include the Set # in your description (if available) for the individual pins from a set. If it is new submit the set and individual pins at the same time.

DESCRIPTIONS:
You have the pin… describe what you see to someone who doesn’t have the pin. When there are limited or incomplete descriptions written of the pins the Staff has to do this which slows down the approval process.

Descriptions must include who or what is on the pin, what they are doing and wearing, background color and shape, any wording that is on the pin and where it is located. Any moving parts, glitter, stained glass, dangles should also be described.
Describe the pin back. The Boxes, the year, Edition Size, Color of the base metal, pattern (waffle, auction, hat, etc) on the back should be included. The size or dimensions of the pin are always helpful.

Photos of the back of pins will not be posted.

There are CHECK BOXES that you can click on for additional info regarding the pin.
If the pin has glitter then Check the Sparkle/glitter Box. Check what fits. This aids in the search.
If it is a Mystery Pin or part of a Mystery Group, check that Box.
If it is a Feature Film, a Cartoon/Short Film or a TV Series, there are Boxes available.

Click ADD THIS PIN… Please click only once then wait for it to be accepted. Clicking more
than once adds duplicates and we try to avoid this.

Thank you. You are now ready to add more!

Is the description of the back of the pin always necessary? Sometimes, I want to add pins that I don't own. Often, I've been able to get permission to use someone else's photo of a pin, so all I've got to work with is a photo of the front of the pin.

Also, does the pin image have to be 400px square, or do you not care what the shape is anymore, as long as the longest side is no larger than 400px?

@MollyAnne Another question -- is it possible for you to post the whole list of acceptable Origin abbreviations? I noticed that some of the pins added today have DLP listed as DLRP, etc. Having a list of them all just the way you'd like them would be great, because I always feel like I'm guessing which is correct. :)
So thrilled to see new pins being added!!

Cheap DIY Light Box which I rigged up at home. Used cardboard box, tape, two desk lamps, two Daylight bulbs (LED, 100watt equivalent), translucent white nylon cloth scrap (from the bargain bin at Joann Fabrics & Crafts), white and/or black cardstock for background.

193256370_10158362657694315_1956293274934606638_n.jpg

Result:
193144842_10158362285554315_1928527461048926470_n.jpg

@MollyAnne Another question -- is it possible for you to post the whole list of acceptable Origin abbreviations? I noticed that some of the pins added today have DLP listed as DLRP, etc. Having a list of them all just the way you'd like them would be great, because I always feel like I'm guessing which is correct. :)
Hi there! Joe is working on it - I believe we are going with DLRP because that is how it is listed in the search.

Hi there! Joe is working on it - I believe we are going with DLRP because that is how it is listed in the search.

Disneyland Paris has changed names a few times and therefor the abbrevation changed.

Right now its official name is Disneyland Paris so should be DLP. DLRP has not been used since 2009.

1. 12 April 1992 – 31 May 1994: Euro Disney Resort / EDR (But back then no one used any abbrevations. It was just called EuroDisney)
  2. 1 June – 30 September 1994: Euro Disneyland Paris /EDP (But back then no one used any abbrevations. It was just called EuroDisney)
  3. 1 October 1994 – 15 March 2002, Disneyland Paris / DLP
  4. 16 March 2002 – 3 April 2009: Disneyland Resort Paris /DLRP
  5. 4 April 2009–present: Disneyland Paris / DLP
Not easy with so many name changes but explains why there are so many different used.

Like @Snoffsan mentioned the reason for the different abbreviations is because the resort has been renamed several times. Just like how Disney-MGM Studios became Disney's Hollywood Studios and the Disney Soda Fountain became Disney Studio Store Hollywood. And in these cases, Pinpics updated to include the new name, without sacrificing the history of the old name.

IMO, for data integrity, names should be appropriate for when the item was released. If the name changes, then the database needs to be flexible enough to adapt to the updates, with an alias field or updated to include both. Some thoughtful process and not just inertia, that's the way it is. Official Disney names matter, and if some place decides to refer to things differently, it will lead to confusion and difficulty finding things you want.

Disneyland Paris has changed names a few times and therefor the abbrevation changed.

Right now its official name is Disneyland Paris so should be DLP. DLRP has not been used since 2009.

1. 12 April 1992 – 31 May 1994: Euro Disney Resort / EDR (But back then no one used any abbrevations. It was just called EuroDisney)
  2. 1 June – 30 September 1994: Euro Disneyland Paris /EDP (But back then no one used any abbrevations. It was just called EuroDisney)
  3. 1 October 1994 – 15 March 2002, Disneyland Paris / DLP
  4. 16 March 2002 – 3 April 2009: Disneyland Resort Paris /DLRP
  5. 4 April 2009–present: Disneyland Paris / DLP
Not easy with so many name changes but explains why there are so many different used.
I agree with you here.....we are discussing the simplest way to do this in the new site. I know the historical info is important.

Ooh, yikes. I looked at my account and found pins on my trade list and own list which I neither trade nor own. I need to go back through and check everything. Recommending everyone also so the same. I haven’t checked my wants list yet.

Ooh, yikes. I looked at my account and found pins on my trade list and own list which I neither trade nor own. I need to go back through and check everything. Recommending everyone also so the same. I haven’t checked my wants list yet.
Hi there Anise! Message me at info@pinpics.com with your user name. I will see if I can also help you......Molly

Hi there Anise! Message me at info@pinpics.com with your user name. I will see if I can also help you......Molly
I'm pretty certain I've been able to weed out the pins that I neither own nor trade. Now I'm having a different problem. I have Mickey pins on my trade pin list, but when I search my profile for Mickey pins, it gives me no results. I can post a video if you need to see what I mean.

I'm pretty certain I've been able to weed out the pins that I neither own nor trade. Now I'm having a different problem. I have Mickey pins on my trade pin list, but when I search my profile for Mickey pins, it gives me no results. I can post a video if you need to see what I mean.
I have heard that the search function is having some issues. If you could send me that info to info@pinpics.com that would be great!

The search function has been broken for months, where we are unable to search our own pins for keywords. (The overall site search function has been working, though.)
Thank you for that info! Just know these are things that will all be fixed in the new site......

PINPICS Pin 143615 WDW - Gaston - At Fountain - Artfully Evil - Beauty and Beast​

PTDB Pin 40068 - DLR/WDW - Artfully Evil - Gaston​

Thank you Pinpics for using My word-for-word pin description on PTDB for your own listing..

Plagiarism can be seen as a simple form of flattery

I'm flattered....

And my photo too...

Be sure to add this to your own pin submission guidelines..

PINPICS Pin 143615 WDW - Gaston - At Fountain - Artfully Evil - Beauty and Beast​

PTDB Pin 40068 - DLR/WDW - Artfully Evil - Gaston​

Thank you Pinpics for using My word-for-word pin description on PTDB for your own listing..

Plagiarism can be seen as a simple form of flattery

I'm flattered....

And my photo too...

Be sure to add this to your own pin submission guidelines..
A PinPics user submitted the photo and the desription and you would be able to see that on the page with the pin. I just checked the photo and we are replacing it with one of ours. I really wish you would have reached out to me through this forum personally or through info@pinpics.com. I understand that many of you were upset with the old owner of PinPics. Well we are new and are working very hard to make the current site workable for everyone while we develop the new site. Also - I do not think copying a description of a pin is plagiarism .....if so tons are doing that on ebay with the PinPics Info. Also there are several pins on PTDB that were taken off of PinPics that we have noticed as well. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

A PinPics user submitted the photo and the desription and you would be able to see that on the page with the pin. I just checked the photo and we are replacing it with one of ours. I really wish you would have reached out to me through this forum personally or through info@pinpics.com. I understand that many of you were upset with the old owner of PinPics. Well we are new and are working very hard to make the current site workable for everyone while we develop the new site. Also - I do not think copying a description of a pin is plagiarism .....if so tons are doing that on ebay with the PinPics Info. Also there are several pins on PTDB that were taken off of PinPics that we have noticed as well. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Ooooo this is so very exciting! :fig: Pinpics is now allowing other databases to use Pinpics pictures and descriptions? Totally agree with your point... new owners/new rules! We definitely should not assume new Pinpics owners will continue the prior owner's stance on sharing the pin data. :)

Also, totally agree... It does get a bit silly to try to keep the cross over from happening since a number of my pin photos from PTDB are now on Pinpics (and I didn't add them to Pinpics and I also was not going to complain.) It just seem to be what happens. People just want to be able to trade their pins.

Keep up the good work!

Hi! First, just a question about this: are you saying we should be able to see who submitted the pin photo/description on the pin page? We could see this on the prior version of Pinpics, but not now (unless I don't know where to look for it?) - it would be great if this feature is back!

My 2 cents on the broader issues, for whatever little it's worth:
Regarding the photos and descriptions, I think it's a reality that they're going to be shared back and forth, because it's a community and that's a good thing. Most users of both sites are just trying to populate the sites to help support valuable resources for themselves and the rest of the community. I know that past frictions have resulted in resentment on both sides, often for good reasons, but the users of both sites are still part of the same community. I know that it takes a lot of work to create a good submission for a new pin on either site, and it could be frustrating to see that someone else just copied your work for submission to the other site. But, ultimately, users submitting pin photos and descriptions don't get anything out of those submissions other than the satisfaction of helping to build those resources, and maybe the tiny recognition of seeing their userID on the pin page. Really, aren't more resources better? Over the years anything can happen with any site: hacking, loss of ability by owners to maintain the site, whatever - so having 2 separate and robust databases of all the information can't be a bad thing. If they each have different features, search functions, etc., they could be complementary rather than competitive. IMHO, in an ideal situation anyone submitting a new pin would submit it to both sites, since much of the hard work would already be done. If each site is providing value through the features offered, they shouldn't need to pretend to claim ownership of individual bits of crowd-sourced information in which they had no creative input.

In particular re. the photos: I was hoping that, going forward, Pinpics would stop watermarking submitted photos (and remove watermarks from all prior listings if possible). Most of those photos were taken by us, and submitted long before Pinpics decided to watermark and claim ownership of them. No judgement here for the new owners, because I know they've walked into a mess, and are probably still weighing various options and deciding how to address all kinds of details and features. But I think this is a no-brainer: Stopping the watermarks could be an excellent first step toward re-building trust and a feeling of community, and I expect it would be a pretty easy thing to implement quickly (at least for new submissions).

Ooooo this is so very exciting! :fig: Pinpics is now allowing other databases to use Pinpics pictures and descriptions? Totally agree with your point... new owners/new rules! We definitely should not assume new Pinpics owners will continue the prior owner's stance on sharing the pin data. :)

Also, totally agree... It does get a bit silly to try to keep the cross over from happening since a number of my pin photos from PTDB are now on Pinpics (and I didn't add them to Pinpics and I also was not going to complain.) It just seem to be what happens. People just want to be able to trade their pins.

Keep up the good work!
MikceyMouseRules - that is not what I said. No you cannot take pics and data off the site. We are adding to our Guidelines on adding pins to not use other sites photos or descriptions. We took down the Gaston pin entirely. With being new owners we have inherited the animosity of some of the pin community......it is what it is. However, so many in the community are very excited about what we have done and what we are doing.

MikceyMouseRules - that is not what I said. No you cannot take pics and data off the site. We are adding to our Guidelines on adding pins to not use other sites photos or descriptions. We took down the Gaston pin entirely. With being new owners we have inherited the animosity of some of the pin community......it is what it is. However, so many in the community are very excited about what we have done and what we are doing.
Oh, okay... bit disappointing, but its yours to do with what you feel is best for you.

If you could take down my photos from the Pinpics "Holiday 2020 - Advent Calendar" listings for: Ariel, Mickey Mouse, Pooh, AiW, and Dumbo, I would appreciate it. :)

Again, good job on getting some pins added to Pinpics, but if it is not an open crowd sourced website, I am going to decline to be involved for now.

MickeyMouseRules - We are working on so many more things to bring to the community. So much more.....outside of what the site is currently.
I am sorry you feel that way. I wish you would give us a chance to show you what we are doing, but ultimately that is up to you.

MickeyMouseRules - We are working on so many more things to bring to the community. So much more.....outside of what the site is currently.
I am sorry you feel that way. I wish you would give us a chance to show you what we are doing, but ultimately that is up to you.
Of course I am giving your Pinpics a chance... that is a strange assumption and statement. I do wish people would stop misunderstanding my statements. Just because I do not want to spend my time uploading pins to your database does not mean I am not giving your Pinpics a chance. As I keep saying, I wish nothing but the best for your efforts and Pinpics. What you are doing is very exciting.

Edit/and a note: there is an conflict if my pictures (which I gave willingly to the pin trading community) become watermarked possessions of a for profit database. I'm feel I am just standing up for what is best for this hobby with my view that photos I created should not be on Pinpics and subsequently watermarked if I didn't put them there. This divide in the pin community was not created by me (and I am not mad, frustrated, unsupportive, etc. its just the world my hobby exists in... and I find it to be sad, but mostly I am just being 'matter of fact' [insert a shrug here]... it is what it is, but again I don't want Pinpics to watermark my photos, so I will be opting out.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back