• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pinpics Trade Advice - Scrapper Vinylmation Pins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinpics Trade Advice - Scrapper Vinylmation Pins

jjgasman

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I just completed a trade with someone who traded me three vinylmation pins. Two of them meet all of the criteria for scrappers (border around the back, etc) despite her telling me she purchased them.

When I told her they are definitely scrappers and I wanted to trade back, she was very angry that I challenged her integrity and swears she opened them from the mystery box herself and if I have a problem, I should speak with Disney.

So, my question is: are there vinylmations floating around that are authentics, but they meet the criteria for counterfeits or is she full of c##p?

Specifically, the pins in question are:
pin72446
pin73272

Pin 72446: Vinylmation Mystery Pin Collection - Urban #2 - Green Bear
Pin 73272: Vinylmation Mystery Pin Collection - Holiday #1 - Valentine

I have a hard time asking to trade for vinylmations because of all these scrappers out there and I've run into quite a few of scrappers of these vinyalmations myself when trading...it sucks :(

Last edited:
The way to approach this is before you trade ask to see the back of the pin. Regardless of what the person says if there is a boarder I would not trade for it (unless I really wanted the character and was willing to give up a good pin for a bad pin just to have it for now). If the person does not let you look at the back then I would not trade thinking that they have something to hide.

The ONLY time I ever told someone that they couldn't look at the back was one time when a little boy was trading and all that mattered to him was how low of an LE he was getting. I told him I had two LE pins for trade and I would trade for a rack pin he had multiple pins of on card. The catch was, he couldn't look at the back to see which one was the lower edition pin. I wanted him to choose the one he liked the most. His mother ended up making a scene because I would not let her son look at the back and as she put it... "she was trying to teach him something." It got so bad that I finely told the boy I couldn't trade with him. He was really upset at his mother. Sometimes trading just makes you go HMMMMMM!

now with Disney using a new factory that makes pins with the borders on legit pins, its much much much harder to tell.
http://pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=82639&sid=8722.1301846396.v2 as an example and we did see others on the racks all with the border.

but unless there was another run of those, all the originals I have seen are borderless and the mickey heads are in the correct orientation.

I haven't seen a real vinylmation yet with a border. Maybe PM DisneyDan and see if he has, I know they are big into collecting vinylmation pins.

I will tell you this: if someone messaged me and thought I had sent them a fake pin, even if I knew it was a GOOD pin, I would trade back simply to make sure that overall both parties were happy. I think the fact that the trader immediately got so defensive is a sign that the pins aren't real.

Good luck!

I have never seen any real ones w/ borders
are the scrappers lighter then the regular ones also?
most also are lighter and thinner then real ones.

All of you have crystallized my thoughts. There was one time that I accidently traded a counterfeit. When it was pointed out to me, I was mortified via email and immediately offered to trade back. This person took the offense with me.
So, I have a new entry to my Do Not Trade list!

My parents brought me a couple of the cruise PWP pins back from their cruise, and so I have seen this new, authentic Disney pins that have a slight border. But, these pins, the Mickey heads were all of a uniform shape, they almost touch, and they look, like perfect Mickey heads. When I have seen scrappers with borders, there has been accompanying issues with the Mickey heads too. Either, the spacing was not uniform, the ears weren't round, the depth was different, etc. And then there would be the problems on the front. Dips, lack of gloss, etc. Are there other imperfections with the pins?

i stay away from all vinylmations for this exact reason.and if i have apin that has a scrapper alert i usually keep it off my list to trade if i know i didnt purchase it myself,but there have been times where ive been asked via pin pics to trade for apin that has a alert that i wasnt aware of thats why i check pinpics before i set up trades to make sure i dont send them something that might be a scrapper.i then let the trader know and give them the opportunity to turn down the trade or i offer to send it and if they think its ok then they can trade with me and if not dont even bother sending it back because i dont want it.but some people will lie until the cows come home.

Yep, report her, there is no way she could got those pins with border in a vinylmation mystery box. U should for sure report her, like u and me, and manny others works hard to buy real pins and real vinylmation so I am sorry u had to deal with these liars that think that they can fool people by buying cheap pins from eBay. This almost piss me off as much as when somebody takes a zip bag with 20 pins at the park and try to trade from my book, oh my god, I hate it but I try to be as polite as possible and say that they have nothing in my interest, but I really want to say, o can't trade because they all FAKES!!! I am sorry this happened to u. I got a fee of your wants I bought at WDW a few weeks ago, so let me know if u interested in trading, they are some nice extra jumbo vinylmation I have. Have a great day.

Oh this is so frustrating. I am a relatively new pin trader, and decided to collect Vinylmation pins. Maybe that was a bad choice! The scrappers are just rampant.

This exact same situation has occurred to me a couple of times. One time, the person was totally apologetic and we did an exchange. I went on to trade with that same person. The other time, the person was defensive, rude and even lectured me (via e-mail) about making such a big deal about "a shiny piece of metal" (!). Needless to say, another person to mark on my do not trade list!

One thing you can do in the future is also ask if they have black bag it comes in as well as the box. By now most people should know to save those items as proof of purchase. I always offer both items of "trash" with my vinyl pins.

And yes I am sure people could scrounge around in trash cans for discarded boxes and mystery bags but I would think the number of successes for that would be low compared with the number of undesirable pins that are made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back