• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

Pinpics..why Newbies shouldn’t run it…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pinpics..why Newbies shouldn’t run it…

TiggerNut

New DPF Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am sure I am not the only one…but the Pinpics database keeps losing information and more importantly photos of pins.

I think everyone already knows about the missing scrapper warnings and changed SKUs…but now ENTIRE pins have gone MISSING.

Let’s look at our latest example….Mr. Potato Head. He was a WDW and DLR released pin in 2000, was listed as Pinpics #911…but someone decided that it was a duplicate entry and replaced it with the Disneyland Paris photo (different colors..but hey…no one will notice!).

Well, finally someone DID notice…as Mrs. Potato Head is 912…and is fine the way she is….

The stupid mistake requires that Mr. Potato Head be returned to the database and now he is back as Pinpics #89920. (With his new entry date being April 2, 2012).

Re-Adding him was a stupid thing to do…as MORE traders have the year 2000 version NOT the later released Paris one…:facepalm:

WHY DOES THIS MATTER???

Well, a simple error/mistake/blatant stupidity…now makes hundreds of trader accounts with inaccurate TRADES lists; inaccurate WANTS lists and inaccurate OWNS lists…and this is only one example…how many more pins have gone missing or have been switched!?

This is another example of why one should not control the Pinpics database when they don’t know a darn thing about the collectible…

…but hey..it is “FREE” database…why should I care that the core information is being changed…. :|

I actually noticed this as well but don't see it quite the way you explained here. I had pin pin 911 on my wants list forever despite listing it in my owns because the nose on the one I had was not the right color. For a long time I didn't know if it was a color error or what because I could never find the one with the right colored nose.

About a month ago I noticed this change. But I don't think they changed the pictures. I think the orange nose one was always 911 because I remember it always being on the first page of my wants. What I think someone finally figured out is that the title of the pin was wrong. The orange nose one is in fact from Paris and I can confirm that because I finally found it. They then added the brown nosed one with the old title.

That is my best guess on what happened based on what I saw. So, in my opinion, the database was corrected and improved in this instance.

Last edited:
I'm also not sure if this a newbie Pinpics issue or a who happens to be "moderating at the time" issue. My dad's been complaining for 6 years about things that have been removed from the database that he has had to email them about to have restored. Usually things that fall under the "accessories" class. He once added a few CM bolo lanyards to the database and got an email back that those shouldn't be in there; obviously CM bolos have been included for a long time. It was probably 3 years ago that he just decided he wasn't going to bother to add anything anymore, because why should he take the time if their just going to remove them anyway. And that obviously had nothing to do with recent Pinpics ownership changes.

However, with all his back and forth, he found out that pins are never deleted, just what is visible. I don't remember what he noticed was missing, but there was something, that shouldn't have. When the pin was restored it had the same number, the same old info and showed up in the same Pin Groups it had been before.

I know for fact that the photo from Pinpics #911 was changed. I have the datatape from last year from Pinpics which shows it as the older pin from WDW/DLR..not the Paris picture and Paris data added. There is no way that the Paris pin would have the number 911 chronologically either.

It is clear it the original was deleted..someone said -opps..and a new entry was created. Which just screws up the entire thing.

I am using this as an EXAMPLE..as I have a list of 22 pins that have been eliminated from the database with no new entry that I can find. Just POOF!

No matter the reason, a pin should not be eliminated. If it is counterfeit, bootleg, unreleased...etc..just mark it as such. Eliminating a pin completely is a disservice to those relying on the info placed there. Even if it is a possible duplicate entry -cross reference it and determine if it is indeed a duplicate FIRST. Not just hit the delete button.

Since you are concerned about Pinpics, have you considered corresponding with them directly with your concerns. It seems that just talking about it on this Forum won't accomplish much more than raising an alarm, as it won't fix any problems. Maybe the Pinpics moderators could give you valid answers as to why they are doing what they are doing.

Since you are concerned about Pinpics, have you considered corresponding with them directly with your concerns. It seems that just talking about it on this Forum won't accomplish much more than raising an alarm, as it won't fix any problems. Maybe the Pinpics moderators could give you valid answers as to why they are doing what they are doing.

Hah! Sorry to laugh.. I tried talking to these guys LONG ago...but in response to my concerns - I got a Cease & Desist Letter from their Lawyer; and they eliminated the Pinpics accounts of myself and anyone associated with me.

Hah! Sorry to laugh.. I tried talking to these guys LONG ago...but in response to my concerns - I got a Cease & Desist Letter from their Lawyer; and they eliminated the Pinpics accounts of myself and anyone associated with me.

Wow! :/ That is pretty lame to hear. Again, I am newer and have not been around for a long time but man... I am waiting to see what happens to pin pics long term.

I've taken notice that pins that once had Scrapper alerts now have been removed and in its place these pins may be a different color or have rough edging And that's all I'm going to put in this thread . Other than the fact that I have stated in other posts that TiggerNut may not have been wrong in her warning . Out of here now .

No matter the reason, a pin should not be eliminated. If it is counterfeit, bootleg, unreleased...etc..just mark it as such. Eliminating a pin completely is a disservice to those relying on the info placed there. Even if it is a possible duplicate entry -cross reference it and determine if it is indeed a duplicate FIRST. Not just hit the delete button.

Problem is, this is nothing new. The moderators of pinpics have been deleting pins for YEARS. I remember getting into a huge argument with jabberwocky whether a pin should have been deleted or not. I will agree with you that pins shouldn't be deleted, but disagree that this is a new turn of events. It has been happening as far as I can remember. Possibly you're just finally starting to notice it.

I know for fact that the photo from Pinpics #911 was changed. I have the datatape from last year from Pinpics which shows it as the older pin from WDW/DLR..not the Paris picture and Paris data added. There is no way that the Paris pin would have the number 911 chronologically either.

It is clear it the original was deleted..someone said -opps..and a new entry was created. Which just screws up the entire thing.

I am using this as an EXAMPLE..as I have a list of 22 pins that have been eliminated from the database with no new entry that I can find. Just POOF!

Since you seem to have so much pin knowledge, and the time available to spend on pins, why don't you just start your own pin database? Then, you can moderate and have your say about the content, pictures, and accounts. And you wouldn't have to worry so much about what Pinpics is doing anymore?

since you seem to have so much pin knowledge, and the time available to spend on pins, why don't you just start your own pin database? Then, you can moderate and have your say about the content, pictures, and accounts. And you wouldn't have to worry so much about what pinpics is doing anymore?

yes! Yes! Yes!

No data base for any hobby is ever perfect. All these types of things have growing pains, and "diet changes" throughout their lifetimes. Don't like it? Hire someone to create a new database. roll it out in a year (cuz it will take that long) and see if people flock to it. Honestly, the main issue with this hobby is a general reluctance to accept or embrace change. Folks hated when dizpins went away, Folks hated it when pinpics got bought, folks wont want to go to a new database. They would rather deal with the imperfections of pinpics.

Every time a complaint of this nature is brought to the forums it just reminds me of one major thing.... We all have opinions, and everyones opinion is different. plain and simple.
your opinion is that "newbies" are running pinpics, but arent some of the key folks in Lansom long time traders? (I actually might be wrong on that.) Your opinion is that pinpics stinks... I love pinpics, my opinion, they do a decent job. Sure there are issues, sure the database is not perfect. But I am glad I have what I have.

No data base for any hobby is ever perfect. All these types of things have growing pains, and "diet changes" throughout their lifetimes. Don't like it? Hire someone to create a new database. roll it out in a year (cuz it will take that long) and see if people flock to it. Honestly, the main issue with this hobby is a general reluctance to accept or embrace change. Folks hated when dizpins went away, Folks hated it when pinpics got bought, folks wont want to go to a new database. They would rather deal with the imperfections of pinpics.

Every time a complaint of this nature is brought to the forums it just reminds me of one major thing.... We all have opinions, and everyones opinion is different. plain and simple.
your opinion is that "newbies" are running pinpics, but arent some of the key folks in Lansom long time traders? (I actually might be wrong on that.) Your opinion is that pinpics stinks... I love pinpics, my opinion, they do a decent job. Sure there are issues, sure the database is not perfect. But I am glad I have what I have.

Thank you, Kristine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Starting over from scratch would be, well, nearly inconceivable. :p So much of what I've added, especially back in 2005, I don't even have anymore. Bought it, added it, traded/gifted/sold it. So a redo, even if several of us 'old-timers' were involved, would be a monumental undertaking.

I hadn't seen the "Ain't nobody got time for that." I'm still laughing! ;)

I think this is the place to talk, process and vent; I sincerely hope no one ever feels shamed for venting, thinking out loud or asking questions.

Why don't I start my own database? Well, that is something that is in the works….where there WILL be a Pin Database out there that is accurate and FREE. However, that need is unnecessary UNTIL Pinpics (or whatever they rename it) starts to charge fees for the current site.

As an aside...I had no reason to make my own database BEFORE; as I was an active contributor of the current Pinpics database. It was designed to be a CONTRIBUTOR database where everyone could share info; and also use it for their own purposes (i.e. Ebay) so long as given attribute. That was my understanding in the year 2000; and is it what I fear is changing.

NOW, I cannot access even my own collection from Pinpics. My purpose in watching/caring is that I DO HAVE AN INVESTMENT in PINPICS. It may not be financial –but I contributed over 10,000 photos; countless titles and descriptions to the pin information listed there. The information I contributed is used DAILY by members of the pin trading community.

RIGHT NOW, I fear that my work is being abused; and I do believe I have earned the right to criticize the misuse of the database. A database that I know more about it; than any of the new owners combined (Granted the NEWEST Owner of Pinpics is a 78 years old woman named Nina Shas who doesn’t even collect pins and has never been to a pin event…methinks she hasn’t even logged onto it).

Am I an owner of Pinpics? No, with a caveat.

I am the owner of parts of that database. I did not relinquish my ownership rights to my pictures, information and/or titles. Just because Pinpics was sold…does not transfer my rights in those items contributed.

So long as the previous terms are upheld; I have no qualm. However, if Pinpics starts to change terms (backwards not forward terms) then I have the right to challenge their use of my property.

Fact is…I do have standing in the matter. As does each and every pin trader who ever donated a dollar; a photo; a title or description.

According to info@pinpics, when I inquired a while ago about it becoming a paying site....

"The services/applications currently available will remain free."

which I take to mean they will eventually have paying accounts that allow extra stuffs.

According to info@pinpics, when I inquired a while ago about it becoming a paying site....

"The services/applications currently available will remain free."

which I take to mean they will eventually have paying accounts that allow extra stuffs.

1) How do you enforce that?

2) What do you do if it is shut down and renamed something else?

1) How do you enforce that?

2) What do you do if it is shut down and renamed something else?

1~ well IDK. but I kept the email with that statement. Right now, foe free we can list our trade/want owns, send TRs via the TA, create groups both public and private, add comments, sobmit pics and new pin info....

2~ IF they shut down & reopen under another name I will figure it out then, but shutting down would basically mean they intended everyone to be a paying account. Somehow, I don't see them making that big a customer service mistake.

But I don't have time/ability to create my own database, I am totally dependant on pinpics or a new DB if it opens. I also however try to pick abd choose the things to worry about in my life. I choose not to worry about pinpics becoming a paying site. Worrying about it solves nothing. Nothing I say or do at this point will change what they have planned for the site. I submitted my suggestions and concerns, what they do with them is thier perogative now.

I try not to think about "What if" regarding my hobbies. I reserve my "what if's" for my 2 little girls futures, that enough to worry about. I do see what you are saying, I just am one of the majority who have other priorities. Why worry about something that is only a maybe, in a hobby I enjoy but could live without if it got to hard/expensive?

But I don't have time/ability to create my own database, I am totally dependant on pinpics or a new DB if it opens. I also however try to pick abd choose the things to worry about in my life. I choose not to worry about pinpics becoming a paying site. Worrying about it solves nothing. Nothing I say or do at this point will change what they have planned for the site. I submitted my suggestions and concerns, what they do with them is thier perogative now.

I try not to think about "What if" regarding my hobbies. I reserve my "what if's" for my 2 little girls futures, that enough to worry about. I do see what you are saying, I just am one of the majority who have other priorities. Why worry about something that is only a maybe, in a hobby I enjoy but could live without if it got to hard/expensive?

Thanks, Psycho! You put into words exactly my thoughts on the situation! +1 :)

NOW, I cannot access even my own collection from Pinpics. My purpose in watching/caring is that I DO HAVE AN INVESTMENT in PINPICS. It may not be financial –but I contributed over 10,000 photos; countless titles and descriptions to the pin information listed there. The information I contributed is used DAILY by members of the pin trading community.

RIGHT NOW, I fear that my work is being abused; and I do believe I have earned the right to criticize the misuse of the database. A database that I know more about it; than any of the new owners combined (Granted the NEWEST Owner of Pinpics is a 78 years old woman named Nina Shas who doesn’t even collect pins and has never been to a pin event…methinks she hasn’t even logged onto it).

Am I an owner of Pinpics? No, with a caveat.

I am the owner of parts of that database. I did not relinquish my ownership rights to my pictures, information and/or titles. Just because Pinpics was sold…does not transfer my rights in those items contributed.

So long as the previous terms are upheld; I have no qualm. However, if Pinpics starts to change terms (backwards not forward terms) then I have the right to challenge their use of my property.

Fact is…I do have standing in the matter. As does each and every pin trader who ever donated a dollar; a photo; a title or description.
I have been a member of many websites over the years, and the bottom line is this: No matter how much content is contributed by users, they do not own the site and they have no control over how that content is used. That is par for the course.

Most moderators/administrators are willing to listen to suggestions and address problems if they are approached in a civil and reasonable manner. I can't help thinking there must be more to this story, considering the fact that your communication with the Pin Pics staff resulted in not only a ban from the site but a Cease and Desist letter.

It's unfortunate that you can no longer use the content that you contributed, and I'm sure that really hurts. But this looks like a personal conflict that isn't going to be resolved on this forum.

Last edited:
I have been a member of many websites over the years, and the bottom line is this: No matter how much content is contributed by users, they do not own the site and they have no control over how that content is used. That is par for the course.

Most moderators/administrators are willing to listen to suggestions and address problems if they are approached in a civil and reasonable manner. I can't help thinking there must be more to this story, considering the fact that your communication with the Pin Pics staff resulted in not only a ban from the site but a Cease and Desist letter.

It's unfortunate that you can no longer use the content that you contributed, and I'm sure that really hurts. But this looks like a personal conflict that isn't going to be resolved on this forum.

Truthfully, I wish there was more to the story. I sent several emails to several different Pinpics addresses (via Pinpics email and private email addresses used by the others) with my concerns. I even included my cell phone number in those -and suggested a private meeting as well (after the other numerous tries). No response, NOTHING. This was all MONTHS before I posted a thing about the sale of Pinpics.

I had only met Lenny Schas about 5+ years ago and NEVER spoken with the other claimed members of the group -meaning Anthony & Samatha Medina (who sit the board, but OWN nothing in Pinpics). Actually - Samantha did yell at me across a pin trading room some expletives.

But the honest to God's truth is there was NEVER a problem before...that I know off...I was banned without email or reason. I was later told by Figgy -whom I had been friends for years with; that my banning and my friends' bannings was due to using a banned members IP address. Which wasn't even possible.

The ONLY person in this entire debate to speak with me has been Britt and Figgy. The others ignored me, and the FIRST response I got was an email from the lawyer for Lenny Schas - at the time stated to be the "owner of Pinpics".

It isn't like the Pinpics folk are good at communicating; nor are they good at press. What has it been -since July 5, 2012 that an update has been written. The Medinas snubbed the members of the New Jersey Pin Trading Event; and snubbed their own moderators at the Florida Pin Event. It isn't just ME that they don't talk to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back