Pls help, it's authentic or not?

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by crazychinacat, Dec 16, 2018.

1. crazychinacat

crazychinacat New Member

0   0   0

Hi, I'm new pins collector, I just get this from ebay, and I find out some problem after compare with what I own before and pinpics.com. The color, and one head has diff. eye. And I mgs the seller immediately, the seller keep saying that he/she gets all pins bought by him/her from WDW, and not for traded for or urchased by anyone but himself/herself. So, the seller guarantee the pin is authentic. I'm so confuse amd without confidence to said it's fake. Therefore, I want to ask anyone know will has this happem below: the color diff, and just one part of pin will change features that is same year issue?

2. crazychinacat

crazychinacat New Member

0   0   0

Left is matching pinpics.com, Right: Doubt is not authentic
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  3. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    81   0   0

If you are not satisfied, ask for a refund.

TheMickeyMouseRules likes this.
  4. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    91   0   0

I agree... excellent advice.

5. Bradg84

Bradg84 New Member

0   0   0

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why do so many fakes exist?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

6. hopemax

hopemax DPF Charter Member DPF Charter Member

Rating - 100%
    174   0   0

It's not a dumb question, it's something that needs to be understood by Disney pin people early on, because you can get taken super easy.

So when Disney announced pin trading way back in October 1999, people went mad for it. But then that started the chase of "how can I collect/trade as many pins as possible for as cheaply as possible?" Simply, buying all your pins from Disney is one of the most expensive way. Especially, if your goal is to trade with Cast Members on your vacation.

So the first pins that got hoarded were the old pins that were manufactured in higher quantities than were sold/distributed that were sitting in warehouses somewhere. So things like the WDW 15th Anniversary Coca-Cola pins. DL had sent a bunch of the 1998 attraction pins to the Character Warehouses and were selling them for $1. After the Millennium celebration, a few of those styles ended up being sent to outlets for $.99. Anyone else, remember when every single lanyard had Pinpics #2 on it? Also, people found out about the European licensee pins (ProPin and Sedesma) because those retailed for less than Disney pins There used to be a website called CheapPins.com . They sold a lot of different themes, not just Disney, but of course they upped their Disney business when all these traders showed up at their doorstep. As a way to counteract "all lanyards having the same cheap pins on it", Disney came up with the Cast Lanyard Series (now Hidden Mickey pins) which only intensified the need for cheap trading pins because now you had a sets of 100 pins you had to collect.

Simultaneously, a group of unscrupulous people who had some jewelry/manufacturing expertise noticed that you could make quite a bit of money by selling rare pins and started using their connections to get counterfeits made, Things like the Haunted Mansion Dangle and other rare Haunted Mansion pins, Wet Paint and other early surprise pins, early Pin of the Month pins, etc.

Eventually, these worlds collided because the original Cast Lanyard pins (Patriotic Series, Dalmatians, Pooh Train) started going for $40-60 each. The unscrupulous folks started asking for these to be counterfeited and after a few years, the further rise of the Internet, and through their connections eventually ended up with connections to the Chinese factories who were making them for Disney in the first place. These factories learned that there was a market for these Disney things and started selling the scrap on Ebay (I first ran into this in January 2005, still remember the seller).

So with a huge need for cheap pins, and people with direct connections to the factories, the factories simply make extra of a bunch of stuff, or they use the discarded molds and sell it direct to unscrupulous US buyers and they sell the stuff leftover from making Disney pins. And there are still the high-value pins that people are continuing to get counterfeited. But I think the bigger problem now is that US based people don't have to ask, the factories just "do." They know they can find a buyer.

Snoffsan and crazychinacat like this.