Question about ebay sellers

Discussion in 'Disney Pin Discussion' started by Wander Trico, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Wander Trico

Wander Trico Member

0   0   0

So about a year or 2 ago, I just started getting into disney pins, and I bought a bunch of pins from ebay. Then I stopped buying and took a long break from disney pins because I was getting so discouraged. It just felt like every ebay seller was suspicious, and I didn't know who sold fake/real pins.

I know for sure some of the pins I bought are fake because of the sunken soft enamel paint. But some pins I'm really not sure. The pins themselves look fine. No sunken paint, the writing on the back is spelled correctly, no border on the mickey waffling... It's just that the ebay seller's behavior was super sketchy. Like saying "only one left!" but then relisting that pin after it sells, even LE pins. Or the pin will come on a generic black backer card instead of the one it's supposed to come on. Why do they have extra backer cards laying around? One time I bought a pin and it came wrapped in Chinese newspaper, making me think it came right from one of those Chinese factories that make fake pins.

So I guess my question is.... can someone PM me a list of good/bad ebay sellers to buy from?
    It would just make me feel better knowing for sure if my pins are real or fake, and I would know who to buy from now on.

SplashMtRider23 and KJackson1195 like this.
  2. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

I wish I could help - I don't really buy pins on eBay at all, so I don't have a list. I sure someone will though.

Guess what? You can also buy just the backer cards on eBay! So that is probably what they are doing. Buying the scrapper or fake pins, also buying the cards and then combining them!

3. maiarebecca

maiarebecca Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

My experience has been this: if you buy it in a super cheap lot, it’s fake. If you buy it from someone (especially overseas) who ALSO sells super cheap lots, it’s fake.

As for people who sell individual pins, MOST of the time, someone buys the pin, is super happy, leaves a good review. 6 months later learns their pin is fake, but now it’s too late to edit the review so the “positive damage” has been done. So if I see an account that even has one negative review claiming a pin was fake, that means one person caught it in time and a few dozen didn’t, so I just don’t buy from them.

Also exactly as you stated, if someone has 3 copies of a ton of different LE 300 pin that they’re giving away for a steal - it’s a tell tale sign to pass on that “deal.”

I think I once saw a list of known fake sellers a year or two ago, but I don’t remember where and I also think new ones are popping up. So your best bet is to click on their feedback and other items for sale and make a judgment call. It’s totally reasonable that some seller might have ten different LE 300 pins to sell but when it’s ten of the same that’s a no-go!

momin.ator likes this.
  4. Wander Trico

Wander Trico Member

0   0   0

I don't buy those pin lots. I know they're fake, and I'm not really interested in getting extra pins not part of my collection. Maybe one day I'll get a bunch just for trading, but not now.

I know there's a facebook group that has a list of scammers. I think it's called PSA: Pin Scam Alert. I tried to join, but they rejected me. I don't use facebook that often, so my profile looks pretty fake.

5. akarih

akarih Resident "Young Person"

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I bought pins off Ebay a lot until a couple months ago when I got on pin Instagram where I haven't seen people selling fakes since so if you can buy your pins off Facebook or Instagram communities that's a much better option to get real pins.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. 1marty2016

1marty2016 New Member

0   0   0

Not sure where you are. I find eBay pin prices can be very high. I haven't used it because they make you pay upfront. I don't have alot if money to sell that way. You might see if you have OfferUp or LetGo in your area. I've traded and sold some through them.
    Good luck.
    PS throwing in a pic of a "looks like" pin I've been trying to find.
    Any ideas I'd love to buy or trade for Daisy's colored feet/handprints.

Marty[​IMG]

Sent from my moto e5 plus using Tapatalk

7. rik1138

rik1138 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

Well, I can certainly vouch for MY pins! :) But I'm not really a hardcore eBay seller (and just DSSH/PTDs as I live near the store). I also list them all in auction format, and start them at decent prices (I hope! :) ).

As for backing cards, people have been known to just MAKE them... I've never seen counterfeit ones that can hold up against a real one in a side-by-side compare (although there probably are some that almost can), but in eBay pictures it can be hard to identify them... For the DSSH pins, they almost always have the FAC number printed on the backing card as well, so that can also help... If the seller is showing pics of the card.

I do agree with others here- if the sellers has even one negative review claiming fake pins, then at the very least they are likely someone that doesn't pay much attention to it with the pins they sell, and at the worst are buying fakes deliberately with the intent of re-selling them. And anyone that seems to have a never-ending supply of any rare pin.

I tend to never buy pins from anyone that won't post pictures of the front and back of the pin, and the front and back of the pin IN ITS ORIGINAL PACKAGING.
    And also that can take and post large, CLEAR pictures.
    Without that, it's really hard to verify the authenticity of a pin on an eBay listing.

How do you find pins on Instagram? Is there a specific hashtag people use so you can find them?

SplashMtRider23 likes this.
  8. SplashMtRider23

SplashMtRider23 Active Member

0   0   0

I'll pm you! Someone from here helped me out before with Ebay when I was new, so I can pass on what I know.

You can search disneypins, disneypintrading, disneypinsforsale, disneypinsfortrade. Those are the main ones traders use. Just a warning, IG has scammers as well. PSA has an account on ig too.

9. Wander Trico

Wander Trico Member

0   0   0

Thank you for the tips! What's your ebay account name? I'll check out what u have for sale. =)

I don't have instagram. I would like to get pins from facebook, but all these facebook disney pin groups reject me when I try to join.

10. rik1138

rik1138 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

Same as here- rik1138
    Also on PTDB and PinPics
    :)

starry_solo and Wander Trico like this.
  11. Pecosace

Pecosace Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I checked your PinPics trades and collection and saw some good ones! I noticed nothing is up on ebay though, do you only put up them once you get new ones or put up your traders as well?

12. rik1138

rik1138 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

My traders are what I sell, I just list 10 or so on eBay every now and then... I just haven't been using eBay since the virus started...
    But I'm thinking of starting up again.
    But if you really want anything on my traders list, let me know and I can come up with some prices.
    Not really trading right now as I have pretty everything I want (I just really collect the marquee pins and I currently have them all except for a couple of non-movie ones...)
    (My avatar is 2 of my 3 shadow boxes full of marquees. :) )

Pecosace, bookhugger and akarih like this.
  13. Pecosace

Pecosace Active Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I'll send you a PM! Thank you!

14. starry_solo

starry_solo Judge of the Dark Court Staff Member DPF Super Moderator

Rating - 100%
    530   0   0

Just a FYI - we do not allow the mention of eBay sellers (good or bad) on this site.

15. rik1138

rik1138 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

Was that directed at me?
    Is it okay to mention my own user ID?
    The forum rules I thought were only for calling out other sellers (not yourself), regardless of it being a good or bad comment...
    Just wanted to clarify. :)