• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

QUESTION Refocusing Collections?

QUESTION Refocusing Collections?

BellesEnchantedRose

No Longer Active
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
Has anyone refocused their collections lately?

Did you regret it?

I'm debating on removing all singular villain only pins from my collections. (With the exception of Facile from my Tiana collection as PATF pins are scarce, but I'm definitely being more picky about the ones I want).

I am also keeping all my lady Tremaines for my cinderella collection that also feature Lucifer.

Not recently, but I have over the years scaled back or removed collections. It's a very personal choice, so I won't attempt to "answer" you other than to say that I sleep well enough at night, ha.

What I will do is offer 2 pieces of advice as you contemplate for yourself:

1. Consider "sequestering" the pins you are thinking about ditching. For me, I removed them from my pin displays and rearranged what was left. It was a bit of work, especially if I'd changed my mind. But my goal was to see how much I missed them. It turns out, it was a case of "out of sight, out of mind." I didn't think about what was gone, so I determined that I could let them go for real.

2. Ask yourself how hard they would be to replace if you regretted getting rid of them. All decisions in life shouldn't be based on perceived value/cost (it can lead us to cling to things we don't actually want or like, for the wrong reasons). BUT it can help to clarify how strongly you feel about an item. If "I could never afford to replace that" makes you sad, well, that tells you something. If you're more like, "I wouldn't pay THAT for that pin," well, maybe you aren't that fond of it. If it's not especially high value, so this isn't an issue at all, well, your risk threshold is much lower.

There is nothing worse than acting in haste and finding you can't easily undo it. If I regret anything--and it's only the tiniest bit--I wish I'd kept my Designer Queen of Hearts pin. She seems to be very hard to find now, in terms of literal availability, never mind potential cost. But I still don't lose sleep over it. It's just an occasional "I wouldn't be mad if I still had it" than an "I ruined my life." :D

And honestly, I know everyone is way over Marie Kondo but I stand by the "Does it spark joy?" question for pins. Very often, we decide we "have to" have certain pins or themes, and after a while it becomes a mindless habit rather than a joy. Some people ENJOY being a completist on a theme, and that is great for them. But I dropped being a Dinah completist when I realized I didn't like every pin I was forcing myself to get "because." It wasn't making ME happy to have pins that were just ok or even (to me) kinda ugly.

So don't underestimate the power of asking yourself why you have certain pins or themes and whether they still make you happy!

Last edited:
Not recently, but I have over the years scaled back or removed collections. It's a very personal choice, so I won't attempt to "answer" you other than to say that I sleep well enough at night, ha.

1. Consider "sequestering" the pins you are thinking about ditching. For me, I removed them from my pin displays and rearranged what was left. It was a bit of work, especially if I'd changed my mind. But my goal was to see how much I missed them. It turns out, it was a case of "out of sight, out of mind." I didn't think about what was gone, so I determined that I could let them go for real.

2. Ask yourself how hard they would be to replace if you regretted getting rid of them. All decisions in life shouldn't be based on perceived value/cost (it can lead us to cling to things we don't actually want or like, for the wrong reasons). BUT it can help to clarify how strongly you feel about an item. If "I could never afford to replace that" makes you sad, well, that tells you something. If you're more like, "I wouldn't pay THAT for that pin," well, maybe you aren't that fond of it.

There is nothing worse than acting in haste and finding you can't easily undo it.
Thank you for the insight!! I've actually been simmering on this for about a year. At first I was going to get rid of my Cinderella collection all together but realized I'd definitely miss it too much. But Villains often leave me feeling eh. I think I only collected the villain stand alone pins as a completist mentality and after over 10 years of collecting and trading I'm moving more into the "do I actually like this pin?" mentality. :)

Thank you for the insight!! I've actually been simmering on this for about a year. At first I was going to get rid of my Cinderella collection all together but realized I'd definitely miss it too much. But Villains often leave me feeling eh. I think I only collected the villain stand alone pins as a completist mentality and after over 10 years of collecting and trading I'm moving more into the "do I actually like this pin?" mentality. :)

Yup! I added to my response after posting, haha, and pretty much covered what you just said. You started collecting because you enjoyed it. At some point, we all get bogged down (or go broke haha) and then it's time to ask what will retain the original feeling of happiness for us.

Yup! I added to my response after posting, haha, and pretty much covered what you just said. You started collecting because you enjoyed it. At some point, we all get bogged down (or go broke haha) and then it's time to ask what will retain the original feeling of happiness for us.
What you said is what I was thinking about saying. I do all of those things.

I discontinued one of my collection. I don't miss it at all. I also am enjoying trading the pins away and gaining pins I do want.

I definitely think I’m going to auction some of my villains, my mom and I just have so much fun doing them and villains are something we don’t ever auction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Ask yourself how hard they would be to replace if you regretted getting rid of them. All decisions in life shouldn't be based on perceived value/cost (it can lead us to cling to things we don't actually want or like, for the wrong reasons). BUT it can help to clarify how strongly you feel about an item. If "I could never afford to replace that" makes you sad, well, that tells you something. If you're more like, "I wouldn't pay THAT for that pin," well, maybe you aren't that fond of it. If it's not especially high value, so this isn't an issue at all, well, your risk threshold is much lower.

There is nothing worse than acting in haste and finding you can't easily undo it. If I regret anything--and it's only the tiniest bit--I wish I'd kept my Designer Queen of Hearts pin. She seems to be very hard to find now, in terms of literal availability, never mind potential cost. But I still don't lose sleep over it. It's just an occasional "I wouldn't be mad if I still had it" than an "I ruined my life." :D

And honestly, I know everyone is way over Marie Kondo but I stand by the "Does it spark joy?" question for pins. Very often, we decide we "have to" have certain pins or themes, and after a while it becomes a mindless habit rather than a joy. Some people ENJOY being a completist on a theme, and that is great for them. But I dropped being a Dinah completist when I realized I didn't like every pin I was forcing myself to get "because." It wasn't making ME happy to have pins that were just ok or even (to me) kinda ugly.

So don't underestimate the power of asking yourself why you have certain pins or themes and whether they still make you happy!

Wonderful advice!!!

I’ve gone completely overboard since returning to the hobby this winter. Have expanded what I collect so much that I couldn’t even remember what pins I already have. I’m in the process of selling and trading a majority of my pins and refocusing on fewer characters/themes that “spark joy” and are meaningful to me. Having pins sitting in the dark in boxes has not brought me that joy. It was very difficult for me at first. I was sad when I started selling and trading away pins that didn’t make the cut but not only am I finally starting to clear up a little space in my pin room (it used to be a home office/study before it became cluttered with boxes of pins) I’m feeling so much better. Each day now I go through my pins and remove a handful or more to add to the cut. It’s like a fun archaeological dig for me too. Lol I’m uncovering pin treasures that I had long forgotten!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely got rid of my Dopey and Chip and Dale (sorta) because I haven't traded them but I don't miss
them. Reducing my Tangled pins but not being very successful, same with Fox and the Hound.

Definitely got rid of my Dopey and Chip and Dale (sorta) because I haven't traded them but I don't miss
them. Reducing my Tangled pins but not being very successful, same with Fox and the Hound.
I have found honestly little success in even attempting to do sales even with my traders, I even try to price at or below auction site prices. So I just decided to do the pin auctions instead that way I don't feel like I'm overpricing or anything like that. I like people being able to bid what they feel the pin is worth. I do still trade from time to time but it's sort of rare.

I have found honestly little success in even attempting to do sales even with my traders, I even try to price at or below auction site prices. So I just decided to do the pin auctions instead that way I don't feel like I'm overpricing or anything like that. I like people being able to bid what they feel the pin is worth. I do still trade from time to time but it's sort of rare.
I used to do auctions, but lately I haven't. I have been thinking about doing them again. :)

Back