• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

PIN ID Scrappers and fakes

PIN ID Scrappers and fakes

AUTiger24

AUtiger24
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anybody on this forum that is an expert on or knows a great deal on scrappers and fakes?if so I had some questions.

:lgm:Feel free to ask your questions alot of folks here will be able to give advice and opinions about scrappers and fake pins.

well it's not so much about posting pictures about a pin to see if its a scrapper and a fake but newer to learning about them.so if you happen to get one or buy one long as your don't trade it or sell it to someone else and keep it for your own personal collection are they not a big problem if you keep for yourself?if someone could go in depth a little I'd appreciate it.

If you purchase bulk pins at cheap prices your most likely going to get a majority of fake or scrapped pins. They're cheaply made and can sometimes be identified by incomplete waffle stamp or stub points on the back of the pins. There used to be a great guide online.

There are several good youtube videos about fake pins.

Some highlights… coloring may be off, weight may be significantly lighter than a comparable oe pin, there may be misspelled words on the back, the waffleing pattern has an edge and or is incomplete, and if a hidden mickey pin the hm is not clearly defined.

I also have heard about noticeable brush strokes and dips in the enamel.

I am probably forgetting a bunch.

If you are trading in the park, just be aware of what you see many duplicates of, those are most likely scappers (or the new hm).

If you purchase bulk pins at cheap prices your most likely going to get a majority of fake or scrapped pins. They're cheaply made and can sometimes be identified by incomplete waffle stamp or stub points on the back of the pins. There used to be a great guide online.

Probably lost in the hack... :(

so if you happen to get one or buy one long as your don't trade it or sell it to someone else and keep it for your own personal collection are they not a big problem if you keep for yourself?if someone could go in depth a little I'd appreciate it.

Yeah i think that if you end up with a scrapper or a fake pin and decide you want to keep it for your personal collection that's fine. People will likely view it as being one more bad pin out of circulation. You would just want to make sure that you remember its not a real one and don't trade it to someone else by mistake later on. You could even use a different colored pin backer or something that you make sure to only put on fake/scrappers in your collection. That way you will remember which ones are which. Not all off looking pins are scrappers/fakes some are just poor quality control by Disney. I've purchased some in the park in sets that if i hadn't bought them myself i would have thought were fakes. Its hard to tell sometimes.

(And of course you wouldn't want to go out an intentionally buy a fake because that encourages the theives to continue.)

Back