Second Opinion on Pin

Discussion in 'Pin Comparison' started by Pibbman, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Pibbman

Pibbman Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I am getting ready to say goodbye to a pin, but wanted to double check it’s authenticity before letting it go. On Pinpics it says it has been faked, and since I didn’t buy it (got it in a trade), I was hoping to get a second opinion or compare my pin with one that was actually bought in Disney.

The Pinpics description states:
    1) The authentic has 3 long, red stripes on the right side of Goofy's vest. The fake has only 2 long stripes and the little corner stripe on the far right of the vest.
    2) The stack of blue cups behind Mickey are almost completely covered by the 3D element of Mickey on the counterfeit pin. On the authentic, the edge of the Mickey 3D element only covers half of the stack.
    3) On some of the fakes, Goofy has no black ear on the left. Instead, it's just all gold. The authentic has a sliver of black paint filled inside.
    4) On the authentic, the green liquid that Goofy is pouring reaches all the way to the bottom of the glass that Goofy is holding on the left. On the counterfeits, the green liquid stops right by his hand and therefore does not reach the bottom of the glass.
    5) On the authentic, the word "Sundaes" at the top is done in dainty gold metal on top of a big outline of red paint fill. On the fake, the gold metal words are big and bulging, so there is very little red paint around the word.

[​IMG]
    Pinpics comparison

[​IMG]
    My pin

[​IMG]
    Different lighting

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Different lighting for the back

From what was on Pinpics, I think my pin checks off all the boxes for being authentic. The hardest part for me to compare with on the Pinpics example is the lettering. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance to anyone who helps!

2. momin.ator

momin.ator Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    89   0   0

Your pin looks very clean and like you said it ticks all the boxes.

Pibbman likes this.
  3. TonkaToy

TonkaToy Si & Am Lover!

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0

I think yours looks real based on the pictures and descriptions.

Pibbman likes this.
  4. rik1138

rik1138 Member

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

Agreed. Based on the description and the picture of the known fake, yours looks good in every way.
    Other things that are used to ID counterfeit pins also look good on yours (off-center pin posts, back stamp not looking clear, etc...)

My vote it real.

The description of the word 'Sundaes' seems wrong though- there's plenty of red on the fake, but the most obvious problem is the 's' at the end is just a line on the fake.
    Also the red stripes on Mickey's hat are wrong. And someone said the pin-on-pin elements are just glued on the fake, thus no rivets on the back (as seen on yours).
    Here's a much larger, clearer picture of the fake:
    [​IMG]

[EDIT]
    Found more, apparently this pin has been faked more than once, this one has a nicer looking 'Sundaes', but still has all the other problems:
    [​IMG]

And the back of it is WAY off... The ice cream cones go inward, instead of outward like they are supposed to. And no rivets is another obvious...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Pibbman, Snoffsan and Ajk like this.
  5. Ajk

Ajk Pinnerdo on Instagram

Rating - 100%
    86   0   0

What do you mean by that?

6. rik1138

rik1138 Member

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0

Look closely at the ice cream cones. On the fake, the lines of the cones are indented INTO the metal (does that make sense?)
    Where as on the real one (see the closeups of the OP's pin), the lines of the cones bulge outward...

They are '3D' on the real pin, and 'negative 3D' on the fake.
    I've never seen that before (and it's certainly never been like that on a real Disney pin)...

TonkaToy and Pibbman like this.
  7. TheMickeyMouseRules

TheMickeyMouseRules Cat Expert Mouse Authority and Paperfolder

Rating - 100%
    111   0   0

Based on the pictures... I think your pin looks real.

Pibbman likes this.
  8. Pibbman

Pibbman Active Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Thank you for all the help and feedback! I really appreciate it.