• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

"so many feels" merchandise - memories connected to items?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"so many feels" merchandise - memories connected to items?

rabbitunderground

New DPF Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello again.

oh man. i sort of feel bad posting another thread, cause i have another one going with the "dream merchandise". i feel like i'm spamming you guys but i hope you enjoy posting and reading comments in these threads as much as i do! and i probably won't post another thread in a while because i'm going to be busy with term papers and finals. woo student life.

i still don't know if this is the right place to post it, but since it has to do with "merchandise", i guess it is?

anyway, here we go.

oh, and i'm sure you will all be kind and respectful to one another, but i would just like to pass on the remainder that this thread is a little touchy in the sense that it's a bit emotional (at least for me... a little) and i would just ask that you be respectful of people's experiences and such please. thank you!

so. ahem.

Q: is there an item or items that hold a special place in your heart because they are a reminder of something or someone?

and as i do with many other threads, i will keep this 'open', as in:
1. you can be specific or vague-ish in your explanation
2. you can talk about disney (or non-animated disney movie even?) or other animated film memorabilia
3. you can talk about a specific item or a collection

pretty open!

OH AND SPOILERS-ISH FOR 'UP'. WEO.

i guess i will go first. actually, the reason for this thread's creation is a pin that i saw on ebay yesterday. i am actually thinking about collecting a few pins for a sort of 'childhood memory lane' collection of some of my favorite disney films. but, as i was thinking about how to do this, i thought "well, might as well have one for films i really enjoy now". one of those films is pixar's 'up'. i just... the pin reminded me of someone very important to me who looks like carl and who is going through a tough time like carl at the beginning. just to note, that movie broke me. i cried at the beginning and i cried in the end. i'm kind of tearing up thinking about it. btw, it's the puzzle piece collection pin that has carl looking sad on it. D: that movie just means a lot to me in terms of how it has characters that i really love (like kevin, i love kevin, i want kevin, kevin is amazing, you will not convince me otherwise) and it also hits an arrow through my heart because i can see someone i care about go through what carl went through. it is painful to be far from that person so i can't hug or be with them. yeah... VAGUE.

for a collection that i own, it might have to be my anastasia collection that is slowly growing. i feel like it's a jointed effort to collect, with my mom participating. she really likes the movie and the song "once upon a december". she came in today and i was like "i am kind of scared of these things falling on my head!" (i have the items sitting on top of my computer desk and she was like "maybe we should get you a glass case where you can put them? c:" i replied with a "o: ... m-maybe?" LOL c: my mom also encouraged me to call a bookstore (i get really nervous when talking on the phone) that possibly had a decently rare illustrated alice in wonderland book and the lady i spoke with ended up giving me a generous discount on it. i was so happy. one of my favorite books, it's gorgeous.

anyway, i would love to hear your experiences, memories, stories, etc.

<3

P.S. TIM BURTON'S ALICE IN WONDERLAND 2. WEOOOOO.

Last edited:
lol I enjoy your posts!

I really love Up, I have to admit I got a bit teary eyed with Ellie. And I'm not the kind of person that cries a lot with movies. But if I get teary, it's for an animated movie lol. So crazy. I think it's amazing you want to collect pins that remind you of some people, and I think it's great you want to vent out your emotions into a collection.

I don't have much memories that can be connected to a pin or merch piece. I do have this set of three Tigger pins, the Jumping Tigger pin set. I got it around 2002 for my birthday from my mother when we were in DLRP. We didn't know anything about pins then, I just really liked the set because it went great with my Tigger sweater (also a gift lol). I'm really crazy about Disney sweaters. I still have the Tigger set and I still wear it on my Tigger sweater. :D

And I also have DSF Elsa Stained Glass. I have an art degree and the years I spent on art acadamy changed my life, and saved it (I had issues with depression until I found my true passion, art). So yeah, the pin spoke to my inner artist lol. That's about it.

lol I enjoy your posts!

I really love Up, I have to admit I got a bit teary eyed with Ellie. And I'm not the kind of person that cries a lot with movies. But if I get teary, it's for an animated movie lol. So crazy. I think it's amazing you want to collect pins that remind you of some people, and I think it's great you want to vent out your emotions into a collection.

I don't have much memories that can be connected to a pin or merch piece. I do have this set of three Tigger pins, the Jumping Tigger pin set. I got it around 2002 for my birthday from my mother when we were in DLRP. We didn't know anything about pins then, I just really liked the set because it went great with my Tigger sweater (also a gift lol). I'm really crazy about Disney sweaters. I still have the Tigger set and I still wear it on my Tigger sweater. :D

And I also have DSF Elsa Stained Glass. I have an art degree and the years I spent on art acadamy changed my life, and saved it (I had issues with depression until I found my true passion, art). So yeah, the pin spoke to my inner artist lol. That's about it.

thank you for sharing!

i'm a bit opposite. when something semi-sad or sad happens, like in "corpse bride", i usually tear up a little (trying to hold it in) or just sob. i have to admit, i only watched "up" once, but i love it so much. but i just can't watch it without bawling my eyes out for a day. even the gifs that i find on tumblr make me go all /sniff sniff ; u;

haha, yeah, animated movies... something about them...

i haven't decided what to do with my ideas yet. i am currently not working and some of the pins i want are the same price as some of the snow globes i want, so it's a dilemma. maybe sometime in the future, i will do a board with movie environments and pins in a nice three by three grid sort of deal.

if i get that pin though... it's just... it's so sad, i don't even want to get it, because it will make ME sad. the resemblance is close.

aw, that's really sweet! c: tigger is cool. i remember having a tigger toy that would move and say things (a gift from a good friend of the family) and i loved it so much.

i had trouble writing about an 'item' too, because some of my favorites are... things that remind me of life lessons, like alice with just going for it. kind of reminds me to be more curious than i am and go to an event that i might not have gone to because of fear of not knowing anyone there or other reasons. most of my items are tied to my parents too, as they participate in THE HUNT FOR RARE GOODIES. WEO.

that pin is beautiful! c:

it's wonderful to hear that you have such a connection with art. i'm honestly a bit jealous because i've been falling out of my love with art. i don't know. i have so many ideas but i'm so afraid of executing them. my perfectionist ways are getting in the... way. gotta remember the "going for it!" thing. i don't know how to fix myself. i need deadlines so i would have incentive to finish.

some items just speak to you, right? totally had a "i need an elsa mug because it's soooo artsy and awesome looking" moment a month or so ago when frozen merchandise came out.

thanks again for sharing!

Last edited:
My stuffed Figaro is extremely special to me. My mom and dad bought it for me at Disneyland when I was a little girl, and I proudly took it with me on all the rides. On It's a Small World, I made Figaro dance along the edge of the boat, when suddenly (Gasp!), he fell in the water. I absolutely flipped out as he floated away, crying and screaming that Figaro was drowning and needed to be rescued NOW. My hero and big brother, Ben, attempted to jump out of the boat onto the little land with all the singing dolls, in order to better reach my toy. Disneyland ended up having to stop the whole ride because I was freaking out so bad, so that some poor cast member could fish the wet, dirty and bedraggled Figaro out of the water for me. I spent the rest of the day hugging my Figaro tightly, wrapped in a towel that the aforementioned cast member provided. Of course, I still have him, and he is even more special to me now that my brother (rescuer of all cats, plush and living) is gone.

bemevehy.jpg

Another special Disney item I own is my autographed 8x10 photo of Chip and Dale. When I was a little girl, I wrote fan letters to a few of my favorite "actors." This list also included Jaws the Shark, who I was certain at the time was a real shark, not a machine, and a very talented actor at that. Unfortunately I never got a reply from Jaws (that bastard), but Chip and Dale sent me back an autographed black and white photo. At the time I didn't realize Disney did this sort of thing for everyone who wrote fan letters. :) I still have the photo framed on my desk.

egunaqeq.jpg

Lastly, one of the last things my father did for me before I died was take me and a group of friends to Disneyland for my birthday. At Disneyland, he bought me a small ceramic Tinker Bell, still one of my most prized possessions, although her leg has since broken off and been glued back on due to my stupid clumsiness. (Even then, at the age of 15, I was obsessed with faeries and Peter Pan.) I will keep her forever.

zujahy8e.jpg

Last edited:
My ipod. I have always had Disney's Greatest Hits on my ipod and it has always been one of my most listened to albums, but last year I befriended someone who loves Disney just as much as I do. Now most Disney songs remind me of him. I miss him so much, so I listen to the album several times a week to feel closer to him.

My very first pins. They're nothing special. They're two pins from a starter set (I traded to other two away) of Mickey and Minnie from the DLP 15th anniversary. They're not great pins, but I hold on to them because they are my first pins and I will not trade them for anything.

Everything 'Donald' I own. I was walking through EPCOT one day heading towards the back gate so I could walk back to my hotel. I was in a bad mood after a phone call I had just taken and was in a rush back to the hotel. Then I saw Donald and he had NO QUEUE! :O... I couldn't resist, I was in Disney World FFS, so I gave my photopass to a CM and jumped in with Donald.. And he started dancing with me and hugged me and spun me around. It was great and will always stand out as one of my best Disney memories. I wasn't a Donald fan more than any other before then, but Donald became a clear favourite that day and has been ever since

I think my most special piece of merch is my Duchess and Marie plush. Ever since I was a kid I've been obsessed with cats and for that reason The Aristocats is and has always been one of my favourite Disney films (and films in general!). I went to Disneyland Paris for the first time in 2008 and when I was there I saw a Duchess plush with a little Marie plush attached and I fell in love although due to whatever reason I didn't end up buying it. In 2013 I went back, hoping and doubting in the back of my mind that I'd find it as it's very rare to find online and not available in Disney stores. However on my 2nd night I found her, freaked out and my mum bought her for me. <3 So she's very special, partly because of my love for the film and the character and for the fact that my mum bought her for me and of course Duchess and Marie are mother and daughter.

Tim Burton is making an Alice in Wonderland 2, or rather Through the Looking Glass as it ought to be called, even though the first one was nothing like the Lewis Carroll books, but I digress, a 2nd one? The first one wasn't even that great.

ah, sorry for the late replies. currently trying to plow through all the papers i have due.

@sorapandora:
thanks for sharing! your stories were really enjoyable to read!

i hoped the figaro story would have a happy end! <3 i remember being really upset when my favorite plushy puppy was ruined by me attempting to wash it (its fur kind of got... not soft anymore) but i still have him and love him very much. i got him as a christmas gift from santa at my kindergarten way way back.

aaaaw! haha i sort of did that too! i remember going to the post office with my grandparents to send my drawing to a disney princess magazine that featured children's drawings and costumes. also send in wrappers of some product in for a contest. i didn't win the grand prize but i got stickers with the character on them and a letter. still have those stickers too. i was like "YEAH STICKERS!" that's lovely though. <3 and yeah! jaws bites. boo! :l haha i can totally imagine jaws just sending half a fish back, being like "my teeth sign my autographs. ;D" chip & dale are da bomb though. that autograph photo is awesome!

<3 that's a wonderful figurine of tink and a really heart-warming story of how you got her. c:

@Disnerd1989:
thanks for sharing!
disney's greatest hits? ooh, gotta listen to that sometime. i've been recently jamming out to the hercules soundtrack. random.

whenever i see your avatar, it always reminds me of this milk tea bottle that i saw with donald duck on it. o: it was a weird convenience store experience.

it's really interesting how something not that "great" becomes great because of the memories connected to it? c:
the very first pin that i got was a gift from a not-so-close friend when she went to disneyland. it's not a rare or super detailed pin but i was grateful that she took the time to look for something "alice". she said they didn't have much but had the pin and was worried i might not like it. <3

donald is great. c: the game "goin' quackers!" was one of my favorites as a young kid. i think i beat it at least 4 times now. o: that's really neat though! donald brightened your day!

@arielsdinglehopper:
yay you found them! and after a few years too! <3

i recently saw the film again and it definitely struck the nostalgia cord. it's really great.

i'm looking through the images of plush toys and urgh, so cute! <3 nooooo.

thank you very much for commenting!

@always_enchanted:
i actually enjoyed the first movie. a lot at first but then not so much afterwards. and i'm glad they are making a second one. i wonder how it's all going to play out though. c: it was his spin on the books and i appreciated that. if a person wants some 'close to the source material' alice movies, there are a few of them out there for them to look up. this was different and not necessarily that bad? c:

Aw, you didn't have to respond to everything I wrote... But I'm glad you did, because I loved your comments. OMG, it would have been awesome if Jaws sent me back half a fish. :lol:

ah, sorry for the late replies. currently trying to plow through all the papers i have due.

@sorapandora:
thanks for sharing! your stories were really enjoyable to read!

i hoped the figaro story would have a happy end! <3 i remember being really upset when my favorite plushy puppy was ruined by me attempting to wash it (its fur kind of got... not soft anymore) but i still have him and love him very much. i got him as a christmas gift from santa at my kindergarten way way back.

aaaaw! haha i sort of did that too! i remember going to the post office with my grandparents to send my drawing to a disney princess magazine that featured children's drawings and costumes. also send in wrappers of some product in for a contest. i didn't win the grand prize but i got stickers with the character on them and a letter. still have those stickers too. i was like "YEAH STICKERS!" that's lovely though. <3 and yeah! jaws bites. boo! :l haha i can totally imagine jaws just sending half a fish back, being like "my teeth sign my autographs. ;D" chip & dale are da bomb though. that autograph photo is awesome!

<3 that's a wonderful figurine of tink and a really heart-warming story of how you got her. c:

@Disnerd1989:
thanks for sharing!
disney's greatest hits? ooh, gotta listen to that sometime. i've been recently jamming out to the hercules soundtrack. random.

whenever i see your avatar, it always reminds me of this milk tea bottle that i saw with donald duck on it. o: it was a weird convenience store experience.

it's really interesting how something not that "great" becomes great because of the memories connected to it? c:
the very first pin that i got was a gift from a not-so-close friend when she went to disneyland. it's not a rare or super detailed pin but i was grateful that she took the time to look for something "alice". she said they didn't have much but had the pin and was worried i might not like it. <3

donald is great. c: the game "goin' quackers!" was one of my favorites as a young kid. i think i beat it at least 4 times now. o: that's really neat though! donald brightened your day!

@arielsdinglehopper:
yay you found them! and after a few years too! <3

i recently saw the film again and it definitely struck the nostalgia cord. it's really great.

i'm looking through the images of plush toys and urgh, so cute! <3 nooooo.

thank you very much for commenting!

@always_enchanted:
i actually enjoyed the first movie. a lot at first but then not so much afterwards. and i'm glad they are making a second one. i wonder how it's all going to play out though. c: it was his spin on the books and i appreciated that. if a person wants some 'close to the source material' alice movies, there are a few of them out there for them to look up. this was different and not necessarily that bad? c:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aw, you didn't have to respond to everything I wrote... But I'm glad you did, because I loved your comments. OMG, it would have been awesome if Jaws sent me back half a fish. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haha, i like responding, first and foremost, because the comments are very cool and insightful and interesting! c:
and this might sound silly, but i also like being a good... uh... "host" (?) in my threads. keep discussions going and engaging in fun chats with people? c: because it's really fun to read what other people think about a certain issue or topic or if they have similar or completely different experiences.

maybe half a stuffed toy fish, because getting a real fish would be like ":c... ew"?
lol

arielsdinglehopper's comment made me think of something. and bear with me, my thought process sometimes takes a life of its own. but... what if jaws did walk (or float in some tube thing) and walk around and give rides to kids on his back? and he would just have the theme song slowly increase in volume as he would approach someone but then he would smile with his big teeth and motion them to come ride on his back? omg, friendly actor jaws. pfft, what am i writing? good gravy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back