• Guest, Help The DPF Community Thrive - Join Our Donation Drive Today!

We're launching a special DPF Donation Drive to ensure our beloved forum continues to flourish. Your support is vital in helping us cover essential server costs and keep our community running smoothly — This is more than just a donation; it's an investment in the future of our community.

Join us in this crucial drive and let's ensure our forum remains a vibrant and dynamic place for everyone.

Please visit the DPF Donation Drive Thread for details and instructions on how you can make your donation today!

So now what? (DPP vs PP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now what? (DPP vs PP).

Rasputin

VIP Gold List
Rating - 100%
284   0   0
What PinPics did was slimly and underhanded. I for one do not want to have to start over and give PP any of my time or money. I am thinking about hosting a new site that will not be able to be shut down by PP. I need ideas though on how it can be done.

Here is a few ideas I have.

1. No import feature
2. No PP pictures will be allowed, if it's an older pin we will just have to find a picture ourselves.
3. ALL Pictures will be the property of the person that uploaded them. (This will be in the TOS).
4. No charge for the site, will be ran by donations.

I need ideas and people to help with the coding, set up and moderation of this site.

Oh and to save PP the effort of tracking me down to send me a C&D letter, or if they are gutsy enough to find me at the event in Sept.

Darris Wax
6204 SE 9th St
Midwest City, OK 73110.

Ethan did a remarkable job with DPP, but didn't have the funds to fight. I do have the funds to fight and will.

*UPDATE 6/22*

I am working with someone on the coding of the site and they are also taking the ideas in this thread and incorporating them into the database. This process will not be easy and it will not be an overnight venture.

Keep the ideas coming and I will keep you updated.

**Ideas so far**

1. Consistent naming convention (Description/Name)
2. Trade/Want
3. Make private or hide our collection
4. Allowing the ability to show if you own more than one of a pin (also include pics of both sides, if a spinner)
5. List each character by name and movie
6. Pin Groups
7. Number of people that own a pin
8. Opt out of certain things, pins, AP/PP
9. No symbols to refine a search
10. Require pictures of both the front and back of each pin.

*Update 6/29*

1. TOS is being worked on
2. Name of site and where to host it, is also being worked on
3. Coding to make it as user friendly as possible is going on as we speak.
4. We have decided there will be a team of mods to proof all pins after they are submitted.

*Update 8/1*
1. Name of the website is Disneypinventory.com
2. We have a TOS that I will post here later
3. Beta will be starting soon, just making sure most features are working before we begin.
4. I am now looking for someone to come up with a cool logo for the website.

Last edited:
I fully support this! Sadly, I am having to revert to PP for now but will not be purchasing a membership or anything if that nature. I have no idea how to code, unfortunately but I will help in anyway I can! :)

I think that what you laid out sounds fantastic so far, and I really hope this happens. I'd be happy to donate to the cause in funds and pictures, but that's about all I could really do. Pinpics ticked me off, and I want an alternative. :suspect:

What PinPics did was slimly and underhanded. I for one do not want to have to start over and give PP any of my time or money. I am thinking about hosting a new site that will not be able to be shut down by PP. I need ideas though on how it can be done.

Here is a few ideas I have.

1. No import feature
2. No PP pictures will be allowed, if it's an older pin we will just have to find a picture ourselves.
3. ALL Pictures will be the property of the person that uploaded them. (This will be in the TOS).
4. No charge for the site, will be ran by donations.

I need ideas and people to help with the coding, set up and moderation of this site.

Oh and to save PP the effort of tracking me down to send me a C&D letter, or if they are gutsy enough to find me at the event in Sept.

Darris Wax
6204 SE 9th St
Midwest City, OK 73110.

Ethan did a remarkable job with DPP, but didn't have the funds to fight. I do have the funds to fight and will.
Oh thank you Lord Rasputin! I'm in!! I don't have the technical skills but would be willing to take pictures of pins and send them to you. I have some older pins so maybe I can help in that arena? Thank you! :bowdown: Thank you! :rock: Thank you!! :bigthumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know nothing about coding but I'll happily provide pics of as many as I can . I personally have no grudge against pp (I have an account but I've never bothered to add pins to it) I just found DPP much easier to use so I'd hope for a similar system . I'm about to start photographing my entire collection so what res do people think would work best , I have over 1K so I'd rather not have to do it multiple times :)

I have a lot of older pins and some hard to find pins as well, I would be willing to supply pictures of any pins that you may need that I have.

I think also no descriptions from pp should be used, to be safe. I can take pictures of all my pins, I have a good quality camera, and I can help with descriptions and moderating! Wonderful idea, Darris. Let's get this thing on a roll!!

I think it'd be a great idea if people were to send in donations of pins so a game can be run! If you don't have the time, Darris, I'd be happy to run it!

As of right now, no funds are needed. Just need to figure out how much it will cost to host it. I just posted this and am doing some research with others on where to host and how much it will be per month/year.

I'm in favor of this.
If it does happen, you will need some people to actively check images to make sure they are not the PP ones to completely avoid all that BS.
Descriptions will probably also need to be different from the PP ones.

As for host, I've used DreamHost for my personal website and online storage for about 5 years now and have had no problems with them. There are plenty of others out there as well, but I've just had a very nice experience with them.

Last edited:
Unless the description actually came from the official Disney pin site, I would agree that they need to be different to avoid any problems.

For hosting, I can definitely recommend Surpass Hosting and Host Gator. Both of them are fantastic, and have a huge range of hosting plans to choose from. Surpass in particular, has never let me down with all of my domains/collectives.

Ryanfury has a site all ready to go. It has a forum too but mainly we are there for the database. Disneypinbb.com

This is a great idea! It would be really, really nice if a consistent naming convention (pin description/name) was used throughout the database.

I think it would also be cool if a separate "for sale" type category was added along with the existing collection/want/trade list.

OK Darris, here are some thoughts...

I agree with your ideas of not having any PP pics or links, or even database #s. They don't own the language by which pins are named or referred as, so they can suck it there....

I'd be happy to donate money, legal services (should they be needed), and I'd be happy to take and upload pictures of all the pins I have, and any pins that run through me in the future. I'd also be happy to dedicate some time to moderating.

I don't, however, have coding or site building experience, but with such a diverse community, I'm sure we have people with that background here.

It will certainly take time to build a database from scratch, but it was done before, and can be done again.

Last edited:
This is a great idea! It would be really, really nice if a consistent naming convention (pin description/name) was used throughout the database.

I think it would also be cool if a separate "for sale" type category was added along with the existing collection/want/trade list.

I love the idea of consistent naming, perhaps this can be done if you limit the amount of people who can create descriptions or have someone come through and make changes as a pin is uploaded. And if it were me I'd get rid of the how many trading/wanting feature because with a new site and not knowing how many people will actually leave PP, it doesn't seem like it will ever be accurate. I know some people use it to determine value, but don't we all know by now which pins are the most coveted? I know no one will agree with me on this point, just my 2 cents.

I can help with pictures also. I actually like the option to see who is wanting and who is trading a certain pin. If we want to get away from Pinpics, we need all the bells and whistles to help us make trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back